Notifications

8u Patriots Game 5  

RSS

terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
October 6, 2019 2:30 pm  

We played the top team in our league this week. For reference, when we played them in the Jamboree in September, we didn't pick up a first down (1 8-minute quarter with running clock).

Despite being outmanned (two top RB's lost to injury, offensive tackle didn't show up), the offense moved the chains for most of the first half. Unfortunately, the drives stalled inside the 20. The defense also did a great job with some timely stops... stuffing them on fourth-and-1 from our 10 and fourth-and-6 from our 20. At the half, we trailed 6-0.

We couldn't carry this momentum over to the second half. They scored on a double reverse to go up 12-0. Then, our QB dropped the snap and inexplicably didn't try to recover it. This gave them first and 10 at our 16. It took them eight plays (thanks, Killer Bee!) but they punched it in to go up 20-0. We got the ball back and held it for the entire fourth quarter, but fumbled inside the 10-yard line on a big hit.

All-in-all, I didn't think it went too badly. I told the kids at the conclusion of the game, that I was proud of them, and that the 11 of them played with more heart than any team I've ever coached in any sport (which is true). Even though we lost, it was hard not to smile because my kids never quit and gave me 100% until the final whistle.

At the halfway point of the season, we're 2-3. We have to play the same five teams again... hoping that we'll beat a few more of them this time around. I'm already working on a few things to make this happen (and can hear the parents and assistant coaches complaining about it already).

Coach Terry

Share: