8u Patriots  

RSS

terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
September 22, 2019 11:33 am  

We played our first game yesterday and won 14-0.

I was really pleased with the effort because we played without our starting center. While we have two backup centers, both were too nervous and had trouble with the shotgun snap. As a result, we went away from the Single Wing and ran Beast with the QB under center. We ran mostly power and wedge for most of the afternoon. Seemed like we had the ball for the entire second quarter.

The defense also played pretty well. While some of the parents questioned some of the alignments in the Killer Bee (one even confronted me about it at halftime), it got the job done. I think they picked up six first downs.

Next week is the big test... we play two of the better teams on Thursday and Saturday, respectively.

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
September 22, 2019 11:39 am  

let me guess... the question was around the corners alignment?

last week i had a dad chattering all game. finally loudly i told him him he could coach defense as i walked toward the sideline. again i told him to go out and coach while I watch. he shut the F up after that.
i would have let him coach D if he would have said yes.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
September 23, 2019 8:08 am  

Actually, it was the alignment of Mike. Since my Mike is short, I backed him up to 5 yards with the safeties so that he could see and make his reads. So, from the sidelines, it looks like I'm running a six man line with no linebackers and three safeties. I hate to do it that way, but I only have 12 players and he's the only one that can consistently make the reads. Despite his depth, the other team wasn't able to run up the middle or off-tackle. It also helped to have another tackler out there on the sweep (we've missed some kill shorts early in the year).

The worst part is that I couldn't really explain what I was doing. The parent that was the most upset about it coaches in the organization that we play next Saturday. I don't want to tip off the other team... they've already got a huge talent advantage. However, I think we can win if we play well... especially after reading Coach Zach's post (My team is clearly Team A, but we're positive and play hard).

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
September 23, 2019 8:38 am  

Actually, it was the alignment of Mike. Since my Mike is short, I backed him up to 5 yards with the safeties so that he could see and make his reads.
The worst part is that I couldn't really explain what I was doing.

1. you shouldn't have to especially to a parent. 2. The reasoning you can tell the parent is that the HB or RB is backed up about 5 yards and that's his guy so when the Mike and the RB is 5 yards away from the line and the mike reads run and goes downhill at an angle towards where Rb is headed they should meet at the line. Simple mathematics

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Share: