RSS

Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
October 11, 2020 9:22 pm  

Greetings Coaches,

Played the ‘Little Superbowl’ today.   We received the opening kick-off, picked up 4 on 1st down, scored on 2nd from about 48 yds out.  Converted.  Onside kick, recovered, hit big on Buck-short and scored again from 52 yds out.  Converted again.  16-0 the Jetsons had yet to run a play. 

On-sided again, they recovered, but their heads were down - we had 'em, and then....   1st play they QB sweep, our contain man tripped over the yard line or something, anyway, he fell down, their fast kid turned the corner, they scored.  Conversion failed.   16- 6.  

They onside, bounced off our kid right back to them, they recovered.  They put together a few nice plays, and scored.  Made the conversion.   16- 14.  Looks like its going to be a ball game.

We got the ball.  Gave them a heavy dose of FB on belly’s a couple Buck short, and used up over 5 minutes and scored again.  Converted again.   24 – 14.

We onside, they recovered, our Defense held and we took over on downs, ran the remaining minute off the clock.

Our D was struggling, our FB was making nice gains, but having to fight too much for yardage in his opinion, and so we had some weepy kids.   Half time we got them settled down.  Reminded them that 3 plays of 4 yds each was a 1st down.  That, that was a good thing.

2nd half:  Defense rose up, only allowed two 1st downs in the 2nd half, they never threatened.  We added 2 more TDs (PAT’s missed),  ran a ton of Belly weak, mixed some Buck-sweep and Buck-short in there.  Moved the chains, ate up the clock.  Both scores were on Belly plays. 

Lots of heroes today.  Should be a lot of kids sleeping deeply tonight – a lot of great effort against a talented team.

2020 season closes with an 8-0 record, and 4th league championship in a row.   Yabba Dabba Doo!

This topic was modified 1 week ago by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

jtrent64 and mahonz liked
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 12, 2020 9:30 am  

Congratulations on championship #4. Way to battle back when the Jetsons closed the gap.  What's next, all-star game?  Wait til next year?  Retirement?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
October 13, 2020 8:38 am  
Posted by: @coachdp

What's next, all-star game?  Wait til next year?  Retirement?

Hi Dave,

The coaches of the team we beat have the all-stars this yr.  We coached the all-stars the last 3 seasons, against a lot of resistance, just not worth the hassle we knew we would get this yr.  It was pretty much the whole league vs us.   Kinda funny in a way, our last two practices many of the coaches from the other teams were helping our opponents.   HC figured maybe if we shared and let someone else do it a couple yrs and maybe attitudes will turn around.  Until we have a down year, I don't expect that to happen, but who knows.

There was some coaching drama during the game, which led to some post-game drama - the other team's fans and their coaches got into it out in the parking lot after the loss, we missed it, it was during our awards ceremony, it was bad enough the cops were called.  We heard about it later.  Their staff had started arguing every call, pointing fingers and calling out our kids for nonsensical stuff, demanding ejections.  Our HC and theirs had a few choice words at one point, our HC was angry about them hollering at someone else's kids.  (at that point our kid who they were screaming at had started to cry)...  The Ref backed our coach up, and he doesn't even like us. 

4th Q they started arguing and fighting among themselves...  The Ref actually went to their bench and threatened to eject them.  It had turned pretty ugly once our Defense starting forcing 4 and outs (they were going for it on 4th down). 2 of their 2nd half drives resulted in negative yards. 

They showed their true colors, and them colors is ugly.   Word from yesterday, at least 3 families are pulling their kids from the all-stars, and the board is discussing implementing a 'rules of conduct' for coaches (it hadn't occurred to me that there wasn't one already).   FWIW, a coach in our Sr. level was banned a week ago for conduct un-becoming.   Its also been learned the opponent broke league rules by having practice Fri and Sat.  (We're only to have the 2 practices a week - don't know how they thought it wouldn't leak out)

While I love to read stuff about and by Vince Lombardi (and many other coaches), there's no place in youth league for the Lombardi volatility.   The game belongs to the kids, some coaches and parents need to be re-programmed.    

Retire?   Naw, the more they misbehave, the more motivated I am not to turn the game over the barbarians, to work even harder to keep showing a better path.  We'll keep studying - going to the Glazier Clinics (if they have them) - spend time with the HS HC and pick his brain some more, and we'll keep sharpening our game getting ready for next yr.

"It is the Way"

This post was modified 1 week ago 4 times by Coyote

rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 13, 2020 9:59 am  
Posted by: @coyote
Posted by: @coachdp

What's next, all-star game?  Wait til next year?  Retirement?

We coached the all-stars the last 3 seasons, against a lot of resistance, just not worth the hassle we knew we would get this yr. 

--I'd wouldn't touch it, either.  Just sit back, relax and enjoy the fact that you're the most hated coaches on the most hated team in the conference.  I did.

There was some coaching drama during the game, which led to some post-game drama - the other team's fans and their coaches got into it out in the parking lot after the loss

--lol.  Nothing divides unity quicker than getting dragged in The Big Game.

FWIW, a coach in our Sr. level was banned a week ago for conduct un-becoming.   Its also been learned the opponent broke league rules by having practice Fri and Sat.  (We're only to have the 2 practices a week - don't know how they thought it wouldn't leak out)

--I'm always amazed (and disappointed) when teams cheat.  Often, it is very easy to find out.

The game belongs the kids, some coaches and parents need to be re-programmed. 

--"Most coaches and parents need to be re-programmed."  Fixed it for you.

Retire?   Naw, the more they misbehave, the more motivated I am not to turn the game over the barbarians, to work even harder to keep showing a better path. 

--Good for you.  Congratulations.  I enjoyed reading about your season and your success.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 13, 2020 10:27 am  

I've been on the staff that everyone hates and I've been on the staff that everyone loves. I prefer the former. Last year, everyone loved us, or worse, they pitied us. This year half the teams love us and the other half hates us. Progress.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
October 14, 2020 8:49 am  

enjoyed reading about your season and your success.

Thanks, Dave

HC and I were talking about our success last night, and the old saying, “Winning reveals some of your character, losing reveals all of it.”   Or, something like that...   We both felt this was probably the most satisfying championship team, because it was our weakest and least experienced team.   Our success is unprecedented in our league (started back in the ‘80’s), but eventually we’ll have a down year, when it comes, we’ve agreed to handle defeat with dignity and good sportsmanship.  [Or at least wait till we get home to start kicking things…. ]

In the meantime, we’re enjoying the ride.  Success is a funny thing, hard enough to attain, harder to maintain over the long haul, but sometimes it can bring a kind of pressure that takes the joy out of it.  When I coached Jr. & Sr. H.S. ball and wrestling (my ‘20’s into my mid- 40’s), when we won, I enjoyed it all the way back to the bus, then started fretting over the next game/ match before we even got out of the parking lot.  When we lost, I was miserable until we won again… 

When I got back in, 6 yrs. ago at 58 y.o. I found more joy in the game itself, and the kids – I’ve always enjoyed the kids, but much more so, now.  Losses don’t keep me awake at night anymore, and I find a deeper joy in just the pure act of coaching.  Perhaps a movement from my early days of seeing the game as a clash of armies, moving into seeing it as a chess match out-witting, adjusting, and setting up the moves, to where now it’s a game of Euchre, where getting the most out the hand you’re dealt brings its own satisfaction.    Maybe I’m finally growing up?

On the other hand, there are games where happiness is to ‘crush your enemies, to drive them before you, and hear the lamentation of their Mommies!”   - Haven’t quite purged all my inner Conan, yet.  

We've only lost 3 games in the '17 -20 seasons, but in those 1st two seasons back in the game, we were 7-5 and 8-4 (the yr I took over as OC), having to make late season runs to get into the 3rd seed spot of the play-offs both years.  Those yrs (we lost in the championship game both times) still carry a great deal of satisfaction - lots of warm fuzzies for the kids and the experiences. 

Maybe there's hope for me, yet.  

This post was modified 1 week ago 3 times by Coyote

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 14, 2020 12:11 pm  

In the meantime, we’re enjoying the ride.  Success is a funny thing, hard enough to attain, harder to maintain over the long haul,

--Much harder to maintain.  ANYONE can catch lightning in a bottle, once or twice.  Winning year-in and year-out when you've got everyone else taking shots at you...well, you'd better get better because it's going to get tougher and tougher.

but sometimes it can bring a kind of pressure that takes the joy out of it.  When I coached Jr. & Sr. H.S. ball and wrestling (my ‘20’s into my mid- 40’s), when we won, I enjoyed it all the way back to the bus, then started fretting over the next game/ match before we even got out of the parking lot.  When we lost, I was miserable until we won again… 

--I've been there.  I thought winning would be even sweeter in Year 10 than in Year 1.  Year 1 was the most fun.  Each successive year there was a little less fizz in my Fanta.  So I had to find other things, outside of my own competitive desire to fulfill and justify the workload.  So I started looking more outside of what we were doing on the field.  At the high school level, it's been a very different experience.  Being at 5 different high schools in 10 years doesn't allow it to go stale, but hasn't allowed me to build anything, either.  Last week, I was offered the opportunity to take over a youth program, lock, stock & barrel.  All of their teams.  I'm meeting with the guy tomorrow.

I’ve always enjoyed the kids, but much more so, now.

--Yes, I've found this to be true, too.  I dunno if it's an age thing, a maturity thing, an experience thing, or a "We've had enough success on the field to sustain me, so I'll just enjoy myself more thing."

I find a deeper joy in just the pure act of coaching.  Perhaps a movement from my early days of seeing the game as a clash of armies, moving into seeing it as a chess match out-witting, adjusting, and setting up the moves, to where now it’s a game of Euchre, where getting the most out the hand you’re dealt brings its own satisfaction.    Maybe I’m finally growing up?

--Maybe.  Perhaps.  I dunno.  But I completely relate to what you're saying.

On the other hand, there are games where happiness is to ‘crush your enemies, to drive them before you, and hear the lamentation of their Mommies!”   - Haven’t quite purged all my inner Conan, yet.  

--If/when that's completely purged, it's probably time to walk away.  I'm not there yet, and 10-15 years ago, I was singularly focused on one thing, year round.  Now, I have so many things going on in my life, I wonder if/how I'm going to find time for football should we ever get back to it.  COVID has brought about a forced retirement, which is much easier for me to accept than making the decision to walk away.  Right now, it's not my decision.  There's nothing I can do about it.  So I might as well focus on my hobbies and life in general, which is a lot of fun.

We've only lost 3 games in the '17 -20 seasons, but in those 1st two seasons back in the game, we were 7-5 and 8-4 (the yr I took over as OC), having to make late season runs to get into the 3rd seed spot of the play-offs both years.  Those yrs (we lost in the championship game both times) still carry a great deal of satisfaction - lots of warm fuzzies for the kids and the experiences. 

Maybe there's hope for me, yet.  

--I still carry the scars of losses from when I was a header.  But I'm completely healed up from losses as a AC.  Heck, I lost the Pop Warner national championship game last year as an AC and don't even think about it.  Lost the 2003 Mid-South Region championship game in overtime to the eventual Pop Warner national champion and I'm still angry about it. lol

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: