Notifications
Clear all

Coach Kyle's 2021 Journal

Page 2 / 3

Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Week 3, day 3/4 They stole 3 hours of practice from us this week. And they forced us to go no pads on Monday. But MAN do we want to hit. It makes a world of difference.

Game 1

20-0 win. They kicked off to our 3 back, and he took it to the house. We stopped them 4 and out twice. And we scored the next two possessions. First TD on offense was jet sweep right. Next TD was with our backup QB on our own 2, and QB sneaked it for 98 yards. This was all quarter 1. The opponent was a bunch of push overs. Lucky us. 

Then our nightmare began. We have a rule that once you go up by 3 scores you can keep in your starting D, but you must put in your 2nd string offense. I, of course, wanted to put in my 2nd string most of the time. That's hard. We obviously haven't practiced as much with our 2nd string. Plus we only had 5 hours of practice this week. They did pretty good actually all things considered. 

The 33 stack was a nightmare for our opponent. They fumbled a lot of snaps. Their hand offs were not crisp. We were in their face. They came close to scoring, and then I would put back in our first string defense and they'd go backwards. 

Oh. And it was 90 degrees with 90% humidity. The sun felt like it was under a magnifying glass. And we chose to wear our dark green jerseys. Head scratching by all. 

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

@soul-strife

If my 2nd string tackles line up over the guards again after telling them for the 100th time I am going to develop alcoholism.  🤣 

I honestly don't know. Our opponents were pushovers. I think we lacked a lot of discipline. Our kids are very talented, and it's the perfect defense for a team like this.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

A review of our last game film (40-0 loss) revealed that we are very close. I believe in our offensive and defensive systems. We just have a few kids who aren't doing their jobs consistently. The talent disparity of our opponent meant that we will pay for our mistakes dearly. Our opponent can afford to be sloppy because of their speed, size and agility. For that reason, I decided that controlled reps are what we need. So the OC and I put our heads together and took a drill from Steve Parker that allows us to simulate what our players need to see on both sides of the ball (backs, receivers, LBs and secondary). I put together some drills for the bigs that accomplishes the same thing.

Scrimmaging can be very productive, but it requires a lot of experienced coaches who are disciplined and can quickly identify and fix problems. I don't really have that this year. 

@gumby_in_co

40 to nothing means that there's a talent gap. You can get them where you want them. You can have them doing the right thing. And sometimes it's out of your control. You control your reactions and your attitude, not your talent.

If you have a few kids who aren't doing your job correctly, that's life. 8/9 year olds that's a lifestyle.

"I decided that controlled reps are what we need."

I feel like "controlled" is the wrong approached IMO. Maybe just the wrong word. I want things less in my control and more in the kids control. I want them to "play football". I want them to fire out, block, hit, tackle, recover fumbles. Our team is honestly the laziest team I've ever seen. We lined up our guard and our tackled all on one side on one play. Mind you this was "developmental" (meaning it didn't count for points). The ref said, "what is this?" I said, "It's little kids messing up." But you know what I think we got right? They fired off the ball and blocked. That's all I want. The rest of the stuff is boring. I can see we're not a thinking team. Attitude is king. Attitude matters for blocking and tackling.

"So the OC and I put our heads together and took a drill from Steve Parker that allows us to simulate what our players need to see on both sides of the ball (backs, receivers, LBs and secondary)."

All respect to Steven. I've never felt too impressed by his presentations. He does a lot of good stuff, but it's very heady football, and I like football to be less of a thinking game. I think he does a lot of good stuff for coaches to learn. I always remember the undefeated team from my first season. They ran 4 plays in middle school, and they passed when they were up by 14. 

You're spot on about scrimmaging. It's not always your best friend. A good coach can obviously teach a lot in a scrimmage, but it's slow, there are few reps.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coach-kyle

All respect to Steven. I've never felt too impressed by his presentations.

Add me to that list.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Week 4, day 1

No game this week.

We put in the beast. We got sweep, blast, reverse and pass. Worked on our blitzes hard, especially where to line up. We also taught how to react to an unbalanced line. We also did the Texas swing drill. It was alright. We also did a lot of switching. Wanted to see if they knew which team they were on. 

We also established a zero tolerance for walking. I made special points to catch them in the act of walking off field in-between defense changes, and I made it clear that we jog to our spot on drills. The timing seemed perfect since we just trounced an opponent, spirits were high. But honestly kids at this age don't let things like win/loss records phase them much. They even liked the running. Some of them volunteered to run at the end of practice. 

jtrent64 liked
ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Week 4, Day 2

Pretty good day. We started slow. We do a handoff drill to start, and they're just going through the motions. I made them run to the tree. We'll see if this livens them up during it. I originally believed that it may have been too hard or something, but I think it's more of an attitude issue. They start off practice with a bit of a slacked attitude... need to fix that.

We did eye opener and a DE drill. Both were alright. We did pass skelly and the stack practiced blitz. We also changed our dive play. The Jet back is no longer running in front of the 3 back on dive. I think this is going to make it much faster, and we'll hit the play much better with it, but it's going to take away a lot of deception. It sucks because we wasted a lot of time on the original play, but it never worked, so it was a waste of time. Sunk cost fallacy. Did KO/KR... I decided to kick the ball... and I nailed the first kid in the front row... I was trying to go deep, and I topped it. It just bounced off of him and he had no complaints, but it looked awful. Then we practiced our 2nd team offense for 20 minutes. They needed it badly. We need to get them to the point where they're able to at least get all the plays off... reminds me to print out a wrist coach with all the plays on it.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Week 4 Day 3/4

I've forgotten a bit of what we did on Wednesday. I think the main thing I remember is that I did some practice with the lineman. Worked on who goes where and what blocks to use when. A lot of them understand the concept kind of. 

Thursday we did one hour and it was just a fun day. We did gauntlet, sharks and minnows, and we played Hawaiian football. Watched some of our JV... they're huge but they had 2 coaches with long lines. We have no game this week because of labor day. 

CoachSugg liked
ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Week 5, Day 1/2/3

School started this week. Obvious that they were off. They were more irritated. Second day was immediately better. I had the assitant coaches take over offensive and defensive indy. Before now I was coordinating all of that because I wanted to make sure what I wanted was worked on. I think it was smart to do it that way in the beginning, but I probably should have got them more into it after the first game. We're on a program now. Every day we do the same thing. We do warm up, several ball drills, KO/KR, offensive indy, inside run, defensive indy, outside run, scrimmage, and then cool down. I'm not sure if getting on that program earlier would have been better. I'll have to reread what I was dealing with, but it feels very good to be on the program. We seem to get a lot in during practice. Oh and the nice thing about my program is that I have a spreadsheet set up with start and end time for each thing. I keep track of it during practice and I keep everything moving. It's very nice. If anything the hitting drills are almost too long. I really like that I'm using the individual time to break up the hitting time. They need to mix it up.

Hitting drills this week were tackle baseball, squeeze drill, mirror drill, sideline pushout, 2 level Oklahoma, and snake pit. Aside from the first day, I think we hit pretty well. We had a lot of kids who have some lightbulbs going off. It's always interesting at this age how kids only kinda get stuff, and you watch them improve quickly or fall behind because they forget. Having 4 days off probably set us back a little too.

Also our QB may be injured... he was out on day 3 with a back issue. I guess he got hit hard in practice at the end, and then he did a cartwheel at recess and hurt himself? I'm predicting a miraculous recovery with no game changing issues... but we're getting the 2nd and potentially 3rd string QB ready... our 3rd string QB is the 2nd string center! lol He is very smart though.

We lost a half hour of practice that would have been for the defense. I'm thinking this game will not be too tough. The other team lost to a team that we beat in the scrimmage. And they were blown out. Plus they don't film their games. I'm a little discouraged... we play the scrimmage team after that, and I used to coach for that organization, so I know their stuff pretty well... and it might be super easy to beat... especially if we have scout defense set up... I'm worried that we're dealing with a situation where we're a 500+ team on talent alone. Now that being said, I also think our schedule gets progressively harder. The first 3 games might be easy, but the last 4 might be tough. That being said, the team to beat... they run a 43... I feel like if we block their big kids on the end... we're golden... we might be looking at a great season record wise. I'm scared that we get complacent. It's certainly easy as a coach. I can feel it tugging at me a little bit.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I'm thinking this game will not be too tough. The other team lost to a team that we beat in the scrimmage. And they were blown out. Plus they don't film their games.

All three games that we lost from 2000-2010 were because I didn't think our opponent could beat us.  Just sayin'...

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Week 5 day 4 / Game report

Day 4: No pads. We worked all segments and ran through all the plays. Practice was only an hour, and it felt pretty rushed. I am glad that we made it an hour though. Every other week we'll only get an hour, and we'll encourage them to go to the high school game. Need to lock that down and figure out our pre-game.

Game day: We won in 1:30... The opponents had some good kids, but they only had 15 kids. They had 3 kids who weren't awful. They ran the ball pretty well, but we just swept right, swept left, and ran it up the middle. We took the ball from them twice and elected to receive... then our 2nd string kept the score out of reach for the rest of the time. Final score was 35 to 7. We have a mercy rule called "pull card" where we need to pull 6 of our best kids. It's a nice mercy rule... but it's also kind of a crazy substitution exercise. We have 21, so that leaves us with 15. Our 2nd string off/def was setup for it, but kick off and kick return was awful. We had no practice at it... it actually worked out better than I though... we'll need to practice where they go... I don't think the rest of our opponents are going to be like this, but it's possible... The thing about it is that we basically need our 2nd string to play both ways and on kick off and kick return... and they're sometimes confused. That being said, we had huge improvement of our 2nd string. They have more playing time than the starters... by a lot

And the curse of the plenty is starting. We are having sideline chatter about kids being in the right spot. This is the point where football coaching looks so easy that anyone could do it. And some parents think their kids should be this or that... 

Also, we do this thing where the kids get all hyped and push each other before the game... it's awesome. It's a little mosh pit. I think I'm going to call it a rawkus. I love it.

jtrent64 liked
ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Week 6, day 1

Hot and muggy. It was 90ish degrees, and the humidity was probably very high. The directors seem to have forgotten about the heat issues from before? Weird. Practice was called 10 minutes early due to a thunderstorm, which didn't matter because we were going to lose those ten minutes to some letter writing thing anyways. They're doing "family day". I have to be in a dunk tank for half an hour after the game! lol

For practice we looked super sloppy. It seems like win + heat = lazy walking. Some sprints took care of that. Certain kids like to test the boundaries. We did the "get up" drill where tackler and ball carrier lay on the ground. We had 5 things going at once. A few kids had ouchies... seems like heat does that too. We practiced "Pull card" ko/kr which took forever. It's our subs in case we go up by more than 3/4 touch downs. We didn't have that down in the game, so now we're going to practice it until they're confident in where to go.

We also did the gator roll. They love hitting a bag, and it really worked very well. It does require kids to dive. I'm not a fan of diving. I love when they catch their balance and they keep going for the play. Reason we did it is that I saw one of our small athletic kids doing it in the game. He was able to tackle kids much bigger than him, and kids who were really moving by using this technique... It was very nice to see.

I think tomorrow we need a little bit of form tackling straight up. They're very aggressive, but I don't think they're using their pads to the full extent. Then we need to get right back to gang tackling. They're not going to have a great time hitting a big kid if they don't hit them in the right spot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Reason we did it is that I saw one of our small athletic kids doing it in the game. He was able to tackle kids much bigger than him, and kids who were really moving by using this technique... It was very nice to see.

KOTS.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

We also did the gator roll. They love hitting a bag, and it really worked very well. It does require kids to dive. I'm not a fan of diving. I love when they catch their balance and they keep going for the play. Reason we did it is that I saw one of our small athletic kids doing it in the game. He was able to tackle kids much bigger than him, and kids who were really moving by using this technique... It was very nice to see.

I had just about given up on the gator roll. Kids weren't doing it well and their feedback was that it wasn't very effective. Then, I accidentally discovered a trick to make it work better. Let's say you are tackling right shoulder and you have split the BC's feet with your right foot. Take one more step with your left, placing it behind his feet, THEN initiate your roll. Works like a charm and you don't have to dive. That extra step causes the BC to lift up and to his left, making the roll much easier to execute.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coachdp

Reason we did it is that I saw one of our small athletic kids doing it in the game. He was able to tackle kids much bigger than him, and kids who were really moving by using this technique... It was very nice to see.

KOTS.

--Dave

??

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

??

KOTS

KOTS2

KOTS3

KOTS4

Four threads about KOTS.  There are more, but these will get you started.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: