Clear all

Coach Kyle's Journal 2022

Page 2 / 5

IMMIRU
(@immiru)
Copper

Posted by: @coach-kyle

They don’t get track blocking yet. 

If you have some field paint or spray paint, you can spray a line for your LOS and then the angle or track you want them running.  Run live using the "tracks on the field and emphasize speed on both O & D and watch for O lineman reaching with their arms.  No Lexicon this time.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @immiru

They don’t get track blocking yet. 

If you have some field paint or spray paint, you can spray a line for your LOS and then the angle or track you want them running.  Run live using the "tracks on the field and emphasize speed on both O & D and watch for O lineman reaching with their arms.  No Lexicon this time.

We were using bags that they had to walk along. It worked great when the bags were there. Took them away, and they start running the same way as the RB.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

@coyote - It was here. I saw it in a presentation from @32wedge

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Posted by: @terrypjohnson

@coyote - It was here. I saw it a presentation from @32wedge

Good catch, credit should be given where it is due.  

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

I'm installing it with a group of 3rd graders. So far, it looks amazing. HC is going to flip the line so he has a quick side and strong side.

Coaching points:

1) Footwork. Everyone steps with the foot in the direction they are blocking. This is harder than you might think.

2) Center sets the wall and must step as he snaps.

3) We have a coach holding a half-round horizontal to the ground where we want the wall to end. 

4) We tell them the rules. 

a) fast as you can and stay tight to your inside buddy.

b) No one gets between you and your inside buddy. 

c) Never chase anyone who runs to the outside. Leave him for the next guy.

d) Anyone in your track gets pushed to the wall

e) It's okay to help your buddy with his guy as long as you stay in your track

f) Once you reach your inside buddy's outside shoulder, buzz your feet until the whistle. Later, I may give them a 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, go look for work down field.

Strong tackle should be your best road grader who can move. TE should be quick and strong. Center is your center. By this, I mean snapping the ball consistenly is extremely important and trumps any other position. Teaching him to TKO is simple compared to that. Guard can be whomever, as long as he is aggressive enough to fold an a-gapper into the wall.

For some reason, these kids really seem to like it. Then again, my 6th graders love it.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

I'm installing it with a group of 3rd graders. So far, it looks amazing. HC is going to flip the line so he has a quick side and strong side.

Coaching points:

1) Footwork. Everyone steps with the foot in the direction they are blocking. This is harder than you might think.

2) Center sets the wall and must step as he snaps.

3) We have a coach holding a half-round horizontal to the ground where we want the wall to end. 

4) We tell them the rules. 

a) fast as you can and stay tight to your inside buddy.

b) No one gets between you and your inside buddy. 

c) Never chase anyone who runs to the outside. Leave him for the next guy.

d) Anyone in your track gets pushed to the wall

e) It's okay to help your buddy with his guy as long as you stay in your track

f) Once you reach your inside buddy's outside shoulder, buzz your feet until the whistle. Later, I may give them a 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, go look for work down field.

Strong tackle should be your best road grader who can move. TE should be quick and strong. Center is your center. By this, I mean snapping the ball consistenly is extremely important and trumps any other position. Teaching him to TKO is simple compared to that. Guard can be whomever, as long as he is aggressive enough to fold an a-gapper into the wall.

For some reason, these kids really seem to like it. Then again, my 6th graders love it.

So something interesting I discovered yesterday. With X-man blocking and TKO, I tell them to make their elbows touch. That instruction instantly made the wall much smoother.

Then we did wedge. We did a double team drill I once saw. You take a hand pad and tell them to press their hips together. Then I told them to press their hips, shoulders, and elbows together. Some of them that clicked for them. Some of them it didn't. Mostly with wedge if you just tell them to push the center it kinda sorta works. If you can get a true double team then it's golden.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Hit day! I love hit day. The kids always surprise me. We broke them into 3 groups based on size and ability. We tackled dummies, circle hit, topple, target practice, whose ball, squeeze drill, 3 cone, slow Oklahoma, and sumo. The kids really shocked me with the squeeze drill. Grouping them by size really made a big difference on that one. A few kids cried, and they dealt with it. Football is so much fun man.

And we did fit/fight........ AMAZING drill when you're doing x-man blocking. It was instantly great.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

And we did fit/fight........ AMAZING drill when you're doing x-man blocking. It was instantly great.

Y'know there's only 3-4 coaches in the world that would believe you.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

So something interesting I discovered yesterday. With X-man blocking and TKO, I tell them to make their elbows touch. That instruction instantly made the wall much smoother.

Then we did wedge. We did a double team drill I once saw. You take a hand pad and tell them to press their hips together. Then I told them to press their hips, shoulders, and elbows together. Some of them that clicked for them. Some of them it didn't. Mostly with wedge if you just tell them to push the center it kinda sorta works. If you can get a true double team then it's golden.

My elbows won't touch when my fists are in my armpits. Is this normal? Or are you just having them get their elbows as close together as possible? What do you think the benefit is to this?

The 3rd grade HC is also raving about X-man. I haven't seen his kids use it yet, but he's impressed. For my 6th graders, I'm seeing better athletic posture, pad level and increased aggression. A few have figured out that once you get your elbows under an opponent's breast plate to extend their hips. It takes the defender right off his center of balance and puts him on his toes. And I haven't coached any of this. It's just happening. Last night, I ran Monster sweep in a scrimmage. The opponent had the sweep covered reasonably well, but then I has all these big  bodies leading with their elbows and just "popping" defenders out of the way. Once in awhile, you see something as a coach that just "looks right". I can't fully explain what I saw, but I sure liked it. Looked like Vince Lombardi's power sweep.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @coachdp

--Dave

Count me, Mahonz and 5 of my ACs as believers. Even Mahonz is impressed with X-man and he's hard to impress. It's the end of week 2 and our kids are nasty.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

It's the end of week 2 and our kids are nasty.

Well, so much for "It can't be taught."

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

A few have figured out that once you get your elbows under an opponent's breast plate to extend their hips. It takes the defender right off his center of balance and puts him on his toes. And I haven't coached any of this. It's just happening.

--We don't bother coaching that, either.  Y'know why?  Because as you said, it just happens as a natural byproduct.  No need to coach the natural result.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
festivus15
(@festivus15)
Copper

--Dave

Is fit/fight basically a board drill from an already fitted position?  Or something else.  

I’m finally able to start practice tomorrow and will be joining the X-men team 🙂

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

It's the end of week 2 and our kids are nasty.

Well, so much for "It can't be taught."

--Dave

There have been 2 kids so far in 22 some odd seasons that I couldn't get going. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @festivus15

Is fit/fight basically a board drill from an already fitted position?

--Yes.

I’m finally able to start practice tomorrow and will be joining the X-men team

--We should all have a shirt.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5
Share: