Notifications
Clear all

Coach Kyle's Journal 2022

Page 5 / 5

Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

I shut down "The Ford Motor Company". I have been spending almost all of my time at work. I have been working 80 hours a week and going to football only after I get done... if I do get done in time. 

The one day this week I was able to make it to practice we didn't look great... today I showed up just as practice ended. Supposedly we had a good practice. 

We decided to go under center this week. I'm scared that may be a big mistake. The team we're playing this week likes to blitz and show blitz. That being said, we're the more talented team. If we brought what we brought last week, we'll be fine. 

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Silver

@coach-kyle How did this work out??

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

@terrypjohnson 

Pretty great. We're using the wing or gator claw snap method. We had 5 fumbled snaps, however we lost none of them, and many of them we just picked the ball up and ran it. I think there's something about that method that just makes it easy to pick up?

We definitely have some getting used to... some of the running backs are trying to score TDs every play. That's not going to happen. Not everything is a sweep.

I think we're always going to have the 2 back to backside on pass plays. 

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Game report 20-12 win. The score doesn't tell the whole story. They scored on a 4th and 40. They also scored on a kick return. We came off VERY flat after half time, and they took one to the house. We scored inside, outside, and once because our defense stopped them and we wedged it in. We'd have scored again but the clock ran out and we kneed it. Our last drive took about 6 minutes and we ended on the 4 yard line. Our line blew them off the ball all game. Our tackling looked like it took a bit of a hit... we kept making good form tackles that don't take the kid down. We need to fix our pass. It's garbage. The TE is running right into the corner for one. The backside is getting the QB. 

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Game report 19-0 win. This was a tougher game than I thought it was going to be for our offense. We still have kids going to the wrong holes. I was not able to make it to one and a half practices this week. Work is absolutely crazy... At this point the kids are winning on their own. We had a kid get a pulled hamstring... which really stinks because we're going to play the toughest team next week. We got one of our best players back, but he needs to get comfortable with our offense again... he's running high, not using his shoulder, dancing... We badly need to hit the holes next week as the other team is going to give us the B gap and nothing else. I also cannot get my TE to leave the DE alone. It's amazing. It's like the kids are finding ways to mess up any time you take your eyes off of them for a minute... They will tell you one thing one minute and do a completely different thing on the field. You practice it... and they just don't do it... I'm beginning to think the spread is a massively superior offense for the simple reason that the blocking assignments for 4 people are extremely clear.

The other team did a funky defense and put 3 outside containers, and my kids want to run everything like a sweep, so they weren't getting a lot of traction. We eventually softened them up with a few pass plays and reverses. I was worried for a second, but their offense was non-existent, and I doubt that they got more than 30 yards all game.

Next week we need to be able to stop a pitch play, an off tackle play, a QB sweep, similar to ours, and a good 4/4. They have a lot of kids who are big and fast. No one who is an absolute stud, but they have about 6 kids who are basically studs and the rest are also pretty good. 

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Game report 20-12 win. This was the best team in our conference. We basically ran 1 play out of 2 formations, and one formation we ran once. Our first drive took 8 minutes. We slowly marched down the field and scored. When then played hot potato until we got the ball back with 1 minute left. We then unleashed the master plan of running our jumbo formation with the 4 back looping through the hole on Iso. Their defense looked like it would leave a hole in the c gap against a quads formation, and I was right. Our best player ran through that hole and almost scored. We spiked it on the 5 yard line. Then we punched it in with 5 seconds left to go into half time up 13-0. Coming back from the half we kicked off and pinned them on their 20. Their half time adjustments didn’t work and we got the ball back on the 15, and we slowly scored again. Up 20-0 against the other undefeated team in our conference. At that point we had to put in our 2nd team on offense, per the mercy rule. We held for 2 drives and finally crumbled, allowing them to score 6 points. Our starters went back in and we tried to drain the clock. They scored with about 2 minutes left in the half as they ran through the middle. Perhaps that was due to the fact that we were still rotating kids around in the middle. Perhaps we were getting tired and falling asleep towards the end. It didn’t matter, their onside kick went out of bounds and we kneed it for a victory.

DumCoachP and Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Game report 24-7 win. This was the last game of the season, and it ended up being a bit tougher than expected, but we had them by 2 scores before the first half. They only scored because they asked us to put in our 2nd team, and they threw a pitch and scored.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Bye week as we get to go straight to the 2nd round of play offs. The team that we're going to play basically tries to run spread, but they run multiple QB sweeps out of spread. If we can contain well and play good man coverage this should be a win. Their defense is basically a 54. They give up the C gap. I think we can just jam it down their throats.

The big concern is that one of my best friends is getting married this weekend in Austin. So I'm flying back in at 9:30am for an 11am game. It will be fine so long as the play is not significantly delayed.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Coach Kyle

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coach-kyle

Bye week as we get to go straight to the 2nd round of play offs. The team that we're going to play basically tries to run spread, but they run multiple QB sweeps out of spread. If we can contain well and play good man coverage this should be a win. Their defense is basically a 54. They give up the C gap. I think we can just jam it down their throats.

The big concern is that one of my best friends is getting married this weekend in Austin. So I'm flying back in at 9:30am for an 11am game. It will be fine so long as the play is not significantly delayed.

I hope you're not flying American out of Dallas...

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Game plan is set. They win if we screw up contain or if they complete passes on us. We win if we can consistently move the ball and pick up first downs while powering it down their throats. If they're smart they'll overshift against our beast, taking away the D and C gaps from us. We're not as good at counter, but I intend to make sure we're decent at it, especially with our best player. If I was them, that's exactly what I'd do. But I know they're going to leave a corner way out there in open space. I plan to run a Wing-T style sweep where we cut up field hard and fast. We should be able to power it on them no matter what they do. If they don't move their better DE it should be easy. But they can all tackle, hopefully we can all block.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Final update. 6-21 loss 2nd round of playoffs. We played so stinking well.

I gave it a week before I watched the film, and I'm breaking it down this morning. Basically we did stinking great. For those who don't know one city is always dominant with BOTH of their teams... looking at the match up of my team vs. their, every one of their kids is as big as my biggest player and their fastest are as fast as my fastest, and that always plays a part in their winning. 

This year I had a wedding to go to in Austin, so I got on an early morning flight and arrived about 20 minutes before the game. I was exhausted (not hungover 🙂 ). I had been sick for a whole week too. 

The first drive we played it PICTURE PERFECT. We drove 50 yards and gave it back to them on their 10 yard line because we didn't get the 1st by a foot. We also took 9 minutes off the clock. Our power play was working despite their bigger players. All year we have had an issue with our TEs blocking the wrong way. I have really been working the bird dog drill to perfect fixing this. And while that was working pretty well, our wing was also taking on the wrong person some times, and that I didn't pay as much attention to. I have them "track blocking", and one of the things that killed us is that the wing began to slow his release so that he could block the DE. Once he started doing that we we slightly less effective in our drives. Additionally, we lost 2 drives due to turn overs. One on a pick. One on fumbled snap. They only lost one. Additionally, we had a tough time getting one of our QBs to run inside. He has a great stiff arm, and he really breaks it if he can slip into space, but their defense, of course, was designed to stop us in space. The had 3 guys outside my wing all game. So once the wing began blocking the DE rather than staying on his track, we began to slow down our uphill climb, and that meant we'd get zero yards on a play. Them being bigger than us meant we couldn't afford that because we were only picking up 2-5 yards a play. Additionally they did have a DT slip into our backfield about 3 times and get our QB before he could score. Another issue is that our best player said he hurt his hand, and we taped it. That caused the fumbled snap. We didn't have nearly the same success after we got our 50 yard drive because of the 2 turn overs, a false start, and several attempts at sweeps with the kid with a good stiff arm that went backwards. We did eventually score when they went up by 21 points because they put in their 2nd string and our best player decided not to throw the ball and broke one for a TD, shedding several tackles.

On defense we played an incredible game. They only really broke a few runs. Unfortunately one of them was early, and I think that played into the psyche of the game. They broke that play but we defended it almost perfectly. If they had run that play with ANY flaw we'd have been all over it. And only one player could have done better, and he still did amazing all things considered. It was 2x2 spread QB keep GT counter off of jet action. We were worried about their screen passes, so we had our OLB manning up and following across formation. The QB kept, and we had our dogs trained to turn it up. They thought long and hand about trying to run outside of our dog, and he almost made the play in their backfield with their tackle kicking him out. Their play side tackle let me DT go, and so their guard picked him up perfect. It was also a massive size advantage on the block. By the time their QB started moving forward we 3 players behind him about to tackle him if he hesitated for a second. The DE/the backside Tackle/the nose guard. Our corner almost makes a play. And our reaper has the DT thrown into him so he can't make the play. Honestly some what poor execution on their part because their QB almost took too long to hit the hole, but their size made all the difference.

A similar thing happened again when they went into a double tight set. We began blitzing, which is how our base defense is designed, and their just picked up the blitzes and blocked us while their biggest kid ran the ball and bowled over everybody. It's clear to me that their offense wasn't why they won. Everyone is always impressed to see kids running spread at 8/9 year old, but they are well coached on the fundamentals, and they have size and speed. They just base block and they do it very well. The GT counter is the first time I've seen them attempt anything other than base blocking.

They kicked a field goal making it a 3 score game for us. I REALLY need to learn how to coach long snapping.

Their last score was purely scheme related. We stopped following across formation based off of advice from the JV coach. It was a good idea, but once they realized it their game plan changed. They started throwing screens. Something I do not understand is why all of a sudden this week some of my players began to back pedal instead of playing press coverage... I think that may have been a decision made against my wishes, and when they threw the TB screen... the one that allowed 3 TDs last year... it was wide open... despite all direction from myself to avoid such a problem. I'm pretty annoyed at that. 

It's interesting how when I reflect on the losses, I never seem to have concerns about running fancy plays. I always seem to have concerns about players not doing what they were taught to do. I think one of my mistakes this year was trying to get fancy and passing as much as we did. I think we had more picks than completed passes. This was largely due to our poor blocking on passes. That hurried up the QB and kept them from faking. I think it had something to do with our scheme as well. The QB was our main running back, so it was easy for the defense to play HIT THE QB. Play action pass meant running outside the box a little, and they got out there quickly. They didn't do this. We probably only should have had one pass play, and it probably only should been a long bomb to a tall kid. And that should have been only to make the corner back think about the pass play to open up our power play. We had 5 pass plays... all of them were totally worthless to us and a waste of time in practice. We completed 3 pass plays all season. Now, they were nice, and we did score TDs / get first downs off of them... but man did we fail to make it work when it came to the pass.

I think bird dog is very useful, but I clearly need to do a lot more 3/5 step. I do not think 9 year olds get the concepts I'm trying to teach them. They hear "stay on your track" and they do it for a time and then they just disobey and do what they want. They hear "hit the hole" and they do it for a time, and then they go back to what worked. It's hard to explain to them that if you just keep cutting it outside they're going to get you for a big loss.

Next year I may not coach because I'm getting married. This may be my last year for a little while. I think this was one of my best teams. I think we trained a bunch of kids who may not have been too physically talented to play a very physically talented team and quite frankly we nearly beat them. If we scored that first TD we may have changed perspectives. Unfortunately I had to miss so much practice this year due to my job 🙁 it makes me very sad because I think it might have made the difference. 

Also, looking into their talent differences, if you divide the teams up and compare the high school enrollments, they'd have a 13% population advantage over us. Not as severe as I thought. Also we probably had our 2nd best kid injured.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by Coach Kyle

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coach-kyle Next year I may not coach because I'm getting married.

I understand that, Kyle.  But I hope you continue coaching football.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Posted by: @coach-kyle

then they go back to what worked. It's hard to explain to them that if you just keep cutting it outside they're going to get you for a big loss.

Every season I've worked with 3rd - 4th graders this has been a problem, kids run right past the hole trying to get outside, where they have no blocking, get clobbered and lose yards.   It worked in recess and in the backyard.   Some yrs we've had parents or former coaches tell them to ignore me, and just bounce it outside.  Of course, when it doesn't work, its the coaches fault.  

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

@coyote I also tried to use hudl this year to point out holes and parents got upset that I wrote things like "This would have been a touch down if you ran to the hole." Apparently that's "blaming" a kid for not winning the game. Nobody complained when I wrote those comments after won the game. Seemed to only be a problem when we lost or tied... 

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share: