Coaching Against Your Friends  

RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 1, 2019 9:13 am  

So last night, our JVs played against a school that's coached by 2 of my friends.  Their OC is Coach W, who I've coached with the past 2 years.  Coach W was my AC when I was the header at EWHS and I was his O-Line coach last season with his youth team.  Coach C was hired to be my DC, but then we got fired and that was that.  Coach C is now the head coach of our opponent last night.  Coach W is their Offensive Coordinator.  They run a Gun Jet Wing offense with DW blocking principles.  Despite this being only the second year of this school's existence and the first year there for both Coach C and Coach W, their team leads the conference in scoring.  Coach W and I talk every day and we were both wondering how this game 10 weeks into the season would go.  They have a great inside/outside game and run the ball really well.  They also know me, and what I like to do with my RBs.  Coaching against someone you've coached with and have spent so much time strategizing with can make things interesting. 

We took the initial possession, but on our first pass of the game, threw an interception.  6 plays later, they were in the end zone with a 6-0 lead.  A 2-point conversion made it 8-0, them.  On our next possession, we drove to their 15 before our RB fumbled, turning it over (more on that later).  They ran 10 plays, but we managed to stop the bleeding at our 40-yard line.  We drove to their 33 before getting stopped on downs.  They returned the favor by getting to our 39 before getting stopped.  We hit a 42-yard pass, giving us the ball at their 19.  We then ran for a 19-yard TD, but it was called back for holding.  Grrrr....  A short pass to their 15 was followed by a run down inside their 5-yard line.  However, on that play our starting RB twisted his ankle and was out for the game.  One play later and our QB walked in for the TD.  We went for 2, but the attempt failed.  Down 8-6, we kicked off.  It took them only 6 plays to gash us all the way down the field.  They scored another TD, converted the 2-point conversion, and put us in the hole 16-6. 

On the kick-off, we had to replace our deep returner because that was our injured RB.  We put a starting Wide-out back there.  He returned the kick, but they punched out the ball from behind and it actually went 30 yards forward.  Their kicking team recovered it back at their own 35. 

So here we've found ourselves, down by 2 scores in the 1st Half, to the highest scoring team in the conference, with our starting RB out for the game.

Fortunately, we held them to a 3 & Out, and they punted.  We took the ball at our 43.  We drove to their 20-yard line, with 30 seconds remaining in the Half, and no time outs left.  We called a Double Pass with our backup RB throwing the ball, but the short field condensed everything and they were on him as soon as he got the pass from our QB.  However, he managed to shake & bake and ran the ball down to their 3-yard line before getting tackled.  We bounced a pass in the dirt to stop the clock and on the next play our QB ran into the end zone untouched.  We kicked the XP and went to halftime, down 16-13.

We kicked off to open the 3rd Quarter and they turned over the ball on downs after running 8 plays.  Taking over at our 46, our backup RB ran for 27 yards down to their 37.  He ran the next 2 plays, taking us to their 12 and from there, our QB kept on a Counter, and ran into their end zone, again untouched.  The XP made it 20-16, us.  On the next series, the two most inexplicable plays occurred.  On the first one, their QB bobbled the snap from Gun.  Their QB went to his knees to recover the ball, ducking underneath the rush of our oncoming DE.  Our DE rushed and went OVER their downed QB and hit our other oncoming DE after their QB was down. We were called for a late hit, on our own man.  In other words, we hit ourselves late. ::)  They ended up punting and Inexplicable Play Call #2 occurred.  Our returner (another sub for our injured RB) "caught" the punt at our 44.  He juggled the ball like a hot potato until reaching their 49 where he was hit, he lost the ball and our opponent recovered.  However, there was a flag against our opponent saying the kicking team interfered with our returner.  Make no mistake, our returner caught the ball at our own 44-yard line when their closest tackler (and I'm looking at the video) is at least 6 yard away.  Our guy runs a full 7 yards (juggling the ball) before our opponent hits him and they recover the "fumble."  But the refs gave us possession and additional yards from the "penalty."  We go on to score a TD on that possession, making it 27-16, us.  From there, we trade touchdowns, making the final 33-22.  All three of my RBs fumbled in the game.  We had one fumble (a non-turnover) coming into this game.  Not only had we used our protection drills before kickoff, I reminded the RBs that I used to coach with these guys and they will come after the football.  And they did.  Add the punch-out on the kick-off return and we lost 3 of our 4 fumbles.  Coach W asked me after the game, "Can you tell we use Whose Ball?"  lol.

Here's the 3 of us after the game:

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
November 1, 2019 10:39 am  

Stick around long enough and most every game you coach is against a friend.  🙂

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
November 1, 2019 11:14 am  

I would love to coach a game against a lot of people here.
Besides the losing part I think it would be fun

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
November 1, 2019 5:46 pm  

Rob.

I would love to coach WITH a lot of guys here.  😉

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
November 2, 2019 5:13 pm  

I was at the AW JV vs Columbine JV game yesterday. I was talking to a random Columbine dad. Turns out, he used to coach under Walker and remembered our 2nd grade Sharks. Had very nice things to say about you and Keenan.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
November 4, 2019 2:52 am  

Rob.

I would love to coach WITH a lot of guys here.  😉

Oh me too

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver
November 4, 2019 11:50 am  

I was at the AW JV vs Columbine JV game yesterday. I was talking to a random Columbine dad. Turns out, he used to coach under Walker and remembered our 2nd grade Sharks. Had very nice things to say about you and Keenan.

Bruce?

I actually played with him - leather helmet days...

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
November 4, 2019 8:30 pm  

Bruce?

I actually played with him - leather helmet days...

Not Bruce. He was there, though. Bruce coached with me and Keenan. Other Columbine dad was a big guy like Bruce, though.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
November 5, 2019 4:25 am  

I hear that, one day ill move to CO and show Mahonz whats up haha

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
November 5, 2019 12:50 pm  

On the next series, the two most inexplicable plays occurred.  On the first one, their QB bobbled the snap from Gun.  Their QB went to his knees to recover the ball, ducking underneath the rush of our oncoming DE.  Our DE rushed and went OVER their downed QB and hit our other oncoming DE after their QB was down. We were called for a late hit, on our own man.  In other words, we hit ourselves late. ::)

You can get a non-contact foul for something like cursing out a teammate, but I never heard of a personal foul for any kind of hit on a teammate!

They ended up punting and Inexplicable Play Call #2 occurred.  Our returner (another sub for our injured RB) "caught" the punt at our 44.  He juggled the ball like a hot potato until reaching their 49 where he was hit, he lost the ball and our opponent recovered.  However, there was a flag against our opponent saying the kicking team interfered with our returner.  Make no mistake, our returner caught the ball at our own 44-yard line when their closest tackler (and I'm looking at the video) is at least 6 yard away.  Our guy runs a full 7 yards (juggling the ball) before our opponent hits him and they recover the "fumble."  But the refs gave us possession and additional yards from the "penalty."

Next time, juggle the ball all the way into the end zone, since, you know, they can't touch you or it's interference.  ;D

ReplyQuote
Share: