Coming Home  

RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 13, 2019 11:39 am  

Leaving here tomorrow after I watch my friend, Coach Willie Moore and his Virginia Beach Mustangs play in their national championship game.  Then I'll be on the road for the next 9 hours, or so.  Can't wait to sleep in my own bed and eat something not served in a restaurant.

This has been an interesting experience down here (it always is), but I am worn out.  Our national championship game was delayed an hour+? by rain/lightning and I've never coached in a youth game where it was raining this hard.  Soaked to the bone and cold, shoes underwater on the sidelines.  They can't build a dome down here? lol

Congratulations to Lake Mary.  They were the better team.  We couldn't get their offense off the field and they executed the must-have play, when they had to have it.  They scored 4 TDs today, when we haven't given up 4 TDs all year.  We scored 3 TDs, but they converted 2 of their XPs, to our none. 

I talked to their header after the game and told them what I found most impressive was their ability to execute when they had to.  A very deserving national champion.

So hopefully, my buddy Willie handles his business tomorrow and then I'm back on the highway.  Looking forward to getting home and getting out of this traffic nightmare known as Orlando.  🙂

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
December 13, 2019 5:05 pm  

Hats off to the kids! 

Sucks to lose but being second out of how many teams is quite the accomplishment!! 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
December 13, 2019 5:42 pm  

Great little ride, Dave. I am sure that they benefited from you being there late season with all of your experience and passion, but you got more than enough back!!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 13, 2019 6:26 pm  

Sucks to lose but being second out of how many teams is quite the accomplishment!!

I suppose, Scott.  But that aspect of this hasn't really sunk in.  Lake Mary was the better team and coached a better game today, but it was still winnable.  Although I didn't expect us to get this far (we have more than one Achilles heel), they didn't do anything we didn't expect.  As a matter of fact, they weren't as gimmicky as I thought they'd be.  They were very solid.  I wish that I'd been able to spend the full season with our team as I'd originally planned.  What stinks is I had to miss our Varsity football banquet on Thursday because I was here in Orlando.  But I can't be everywhere at once.  So now I get to plan what I want to do next year.  If I want to do anything next year.  I've got a couple of oars in the water for next year that I'll hopefully hear back about in the next couple of weeks.

Now I'll need to turn my focus to getting the beach house reno finished.  That's a massive project which has been going on for more than a year now...

--Dave 

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 13, 2019 6:42 pm  

Great little ride, Dave. I am sure that they benefited from you being there late season with all of your experience and passion, but you got more than enough back!!

It's odd, Eric.  We played 14 games this year and I coached in the last 6, so in terms of the number of games, I spent almost half the season with them.  I appreciated their willingness to have me out there when they'd already established a coterie.  I got along with all of the coaches and the parents were also very nice.  A dad approached me today during the game and was very complimentary to me.  I didn't know him (he introduced himself on the sidelines), and I appreciated his sincerity. 

Since I've been down here before, I was able to help with the transition of where we go/what we do in regards to the itinerary.  This trip is really a bear, and I don't really understand why anyone would want to make the trip (from an adult's point of view), but I'll coach anywhere that gives us the chance to continue competing.  Yes, I got a lot back.  And I learned from our coaches, as well as from our opponents and since I'm all about adding to my repertoire, that was all bonus.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: