Notifications

Dawgs 3.0  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 9, 2019 7:37 am  

Well, season started for my 3rd team in this league...starting with this one a little late, they are 8 and playing USA Football 8 man rookie tackle...we have a "Super Bowl" rematch...team we beat for the big shiny trophy last season.

The boys start showing up for our pre-game...a few of them are an absolute bundle of nerves...one of the boy's dad take him to the wrong field...another boy shows up with no knee pads...and it is HOT...everyone get there...knee pads show up...and we get through our pre-game...I had to stop it at one point and bring everyone together...and told them to breathe πŸ™‚ this was going to be easy, had to be, because we worked to hard harder than everyone else in our league did...things settled down and started flowing...we get done and pray it up...

Pick the Captains...coached them through what was going to happen...if we win the toss, we want the ball...if we lose the toss, we want our backs to the scoreboard...it worked out great...we lost the toss, they deferred and for some reason we got the ball and the direction we wanted πŸ™‚

Stand for the flag, the folks running the sound couldn't figure it out, then they played a 6 minute version of the anthem...run through the banner....gather the offense...make the first play call, and send them out to the 20...we are playing on a 70 yard field (from goal line to goal line) and 35 yards wide...first play call is Veer...without the read, we call whether the QB gives it or takes it...anyway, they go to the line, call cadence, snap the ball...and it goes 50 for the score...we kick the PAT...bad guys take over...they run a couple of plays...don't get too much of anything...on third down, they call a sweep, our DE and OLB force it back inside...our MLB's have over pursued...but one of them gets hands on him, but over extended...they get the score...we force a fumble on the PAT try, 8-6.

Next possession...we run power for a first down...then go empty...they are not honoring our wideout..we audible to the fast "screen"...hit it, and we score again...PAT is good, 16-6. We force a fumble on their next possession, short field...we get the ball and call jet sweep...the back drops the ball, we try and pick it up instead of falling on it...they recover...next play, we force another fumble and recover...we call stretch and score...PAT is good 24-6.

There next possession (by the way...they are taking forever to call plays, coach on the field...we are calling everything from the sideline)….we stop them on 3rd down with a minute left and call timeout, I want to score before the half...they decide to punt it...we run veer again...the cover it well, our mesh was messy too...so we are stopped for no gain...I decide to take it to half time.

Watch the Dawgettes do their thing, talk to the boys, tell them we are not done yet, to keep their foot on the gas...go out on defense...get another stop...take the ball and score again...PAT is missed 30-6. Next possession, they score...but they have a ridiculously obvious hold at the point of attack...so it comes back and we force another punt...score again, miss the point again. 36-6. Mercy clock goes into effect and we start the 4th quarter with a running clock. Takes them 6 minutes to run 4 plays and turn it over on downs...

The OC asks if we should just kneel it with 2 minutes left...I tell him "No, just run Veer and have the QB give it, lets let some of these other boys get their touches". First play...my F gets hit at about 2 yards...keeps running his feet...runs through the tacklers and scores...we miss one more PAT...42-6 and the crew lets me know we are done...they are going to let the clock wind without spotting the ball for them....hand shake line...Dawg Pound...and we pray it up with the Cheerleaders this time...have a great weekend and drink lots of water πŸ™‚

I don't have the film yet...the vendor recommended by the league has not posted it yet (grrrr). But I think we did pretty well...there were mistakes (and yes, I told them to make them full speed :))...we were the only team in our age group not going on the field with their team, except for the extra point...which I honestly think we don't need to do anymore either...they seem to have that down...we changed on play while at the line...the boys were able to move into and out of our two different fronts on defense without any hitches, and they did it quickly...

And the best part...after the game...one of my players that we had to ride a bit in practice to get him to meet the standard...he comes up to me after the game and says (paraphrasing) "Coach, I get it" ...what do you get? …"I know why we practice so hard now, this was easy compared to our practices, we were so much better than they were"...

Time to get ready for next week πŸ™‚

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 9, 2019 7:44 am  

And the best part...after the game...one of my players that we had to ride a bit in practice to get him to meet the standard...he comes up to me after the game and says (paraphrasing) "Coach, I get it" ...what do you get? …"I know why we practice so hard now, this was easy compared to our practices, we were so much better than they were".

Kids understand this more than many coaches do.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
September 9, 2019 7:59 am  

Awesome Job Chris.

Especially with the light bulb for the kid

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 9, 2019 8:15 am  

I still get kids calling me from EWHS complaining about the coaching staff not working them hard.  They've lost 39-12, 41-6, 49-7.  There's value in really hard work.  Trouble is, it's impossible for the lazy coach to see value in hard work.  And others don't understand how to make it hard enough to pay off.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
September 9, 2019 8:21 am  

Great Job Chris!

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 17, 2019 11:55 am  

Week 2, playing a team that gives me pause...they have an offensive scheme...split flow stuff that looks like the buck wedge we used to run back in the day πŸ˜› We had a reasonable week of practice, offense was sloppy, but defense seemed to catch onto doing their jobs and not falling for the misdirection. Walk through was sharp, and we had lots of stuff in the good news box, followed by dogs and burgers and brats in the parking lot πŸ™‚

Saturday morning, people manage to get there on time for the most part...one of my coaches is late because he forgot his badge...one of the plays is late because his big sister has volleyball and mom can't be in two places at once...pre-game is good, fix a few things that I notice, pray it up, coin toss (we lose, they defer) national anthem, chant and time to play...oh, and on top of being the header this week, I am calling the offense because my OC had a family obligation.

We open with a play action pass based off of jet action, its open, but QB throws it 10 feet over the receivers head...so we go to jet sweep...get down to the 14...so I decide to Attack (means get to the line and run the same play again)...another 10 yards to the 4...back to normal speed. Call Veer (no reading, my QB is 8) and he gives for a gain of 1, call it again, this time its a pull, and we score. PAT is good, 8-0.

Out to defense...first play, we have it dead in the backfield, a DT and OLB come flying in, unfortunately, out of control, they both miss...my Fit LB does something weird and doesn't tackle and manages to get in the way of the other backer who is capping...and off he goes...1 play and a TD. We stop their try...8-6.

Back to work...We call stretch to the right...(the last series everything went left)...and we take it to the house, the oline was really good, everyone had a hat on someone...and my H picks up what we thought was leakage from somewhere...F runs through an arm tackle and is gone....looking at the film...they had too many men on the field πŸ˜› not called...kick is good. 16-6

Back on Defense...they hit a little out to the TE, surprises everyone, not on film...we run him down after he picks up 26. The try and run the ball and we kill it in the backfield...they try the pass to the TE again and miss...then they jump, 3rd and 17, they pick up 5 on a run, and decide to go for it on 4th and 12...they try a post pass to a wideout, MLB steps in front, takes it down to the 7...back to work.

First and Goal...we show them Jet Sweep again, but have the QB keep it and boot backside...he walks in, kick is good...24-6.

On first down, they try the exact same play we just picked...and we pick it again....and one of our DT's hits the QB as he is throwing it...so it goes to the house...kick is good...32-6, 2:07 remain in the first quarter.

Back to defense...we force them to punt after three plays and back to work...Jet sweep for 4, Veer and we cough it up...giving them a short field...they run their split flow play and give it on the dive...one of my LBs gets in the way of the other again...and they take it 32 yards...try is good 32-13 as the quarter expires...

Back to work...Open with stretch, the F goes the wrong way, and the QB freezes until he gets blasted by the unblocked DE (by design)...call it again (after suggesting F should go the right way)...and the Center gives us a bad snap...3rd and 17...we finally get stretch run and pick up 6...4th and 11...I let the other coaches talk me into going for it πŸ˜› jet sweep...our Play Side Tackle decides to take a play off...we get 4 and turn it over on downs.

First down, they get 3, 2nd we kill them in the backfield for a loss of 4. They pick up 1 on 3rd...4th and 10...they run the split action...again dive...and the same exact thing happens...23 yards and a TD, try is no good...32-19.

I gather the offense and tell them this is not over yet...we need to execute...1st down, Jet Sweep for 9, Veer for 3, Stretch for 3, Stretch for 13, stretch for 6, stretch for 3...try the play action again...its open again, and for some reason (probably because he is 8) the TE stops running...incomplete. time is running down.....40 seconds until half Veer and my F takes it 12 yards and is pushed out at the 1 inch line...I call attack...run it again and score...16 seconds left in the half, try is good, 40-19. Very happy with their execution, 9 play drive that took about 4 minutes off the clock, no negative plays (unless you count the incomplete pass).  40-19.

They run two plays in the 16 seconds and manage to go backwards...half time.

They come out to start the 2nd half...first down they get 4...2nd down....guess what, split flow dive...guess what else...one of the LBs gets in the way....and they score, try is good. 40-24.

Oh. and we have a 2 td rule....the kids who scored in the first half...can't run with the football unless the bad guys get within 11 points...

And it is a train wreck...my backs can't remember the plays calls, they go the wrong way, they fumble the ball...I try and throw a stop route, but the receiver doesn't look for the ball and it gets picked. But defensively, we made an adjustment after the last TD, we move the LB who gets in the way closer to the ball...so the Center can get on him faster and so he doesn't get in the way of the LB who wants to tackle people...after our train wreck drive...we turn them over on downs...

Run stretch for 3...call it again, and the back goes the wrong way...so the QB just takes off...and out runs everyone...kick is good...48-26...we trade a couple more ineffective possessions with the bad guys, and we get the ball back with a minute left...Victory formation...

So we are 2-0, we have scored 90 points and surrendered 32...we have some things to fix this week....figure out why my twos went to pieces in the second half....and fire the LB who wants to pretend to play LB....

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 26, 2019 9:13 am  

Good week of practice going into week 3. We moved a couple of boys around on the defense...then one of them ended up in a boot after spraining his ankle at school recess. So new MLB only gets the reps in the walk through...fingers crossed that its enough. Watching the scout film, I see the bad guys are contact shy, take bad angles, don't tackle particularly well...I see the score getting out of hand...so we work a simple dive play in so we can get some touches for the boys who don't normally get touches...we also concentrate on the oline driving there bad guys instead of belly bumping...oh and they have a couple of big backs, so we work gator roll in practice and we show coverage to them...the bad guys like to sling it around...which I think is a terrible idea against us...because we always send 6...and they can't block 6 with 5...but we need to prepare for it.

In previous conversations with the opposing coach...he has talked about how bad his kids are and how we are blessed with all the studs...etc...so before the game, I tell him I have a kid in a walking boot, he mentions something about that being good for us...so I tell him I will do my best to manage the score...and I have a plan to give the ball to other folks than my ball guys to keep things from getting completely out of hand...I don't want to accidentally score...he says "thanks, add insult to injury"...I said not at all...just trying not to let things get out of hand. Told him good luck...well apparently he took offense to that...

We do our pre-game, pray it up, coin toss (we lose, the take the ball) flag and run through the banner...

First play, the decide they are going to throw it...the QB gets hit by our DT and OLB and fumbles it...the other OLB recovers...1st down on a short field...16 going in...

Power +6, Power again, TD, kick no good...6-0

Back to defense...they try and run and lose 4 yards...they try and throw it two times in a row, QB is hit both times and the ball falls incomplete...they punt (automatic 30 yard change of possession).

Stretch +7, Veer +3, Stretch +6, Veer and we keep, get 4 yards before the QB is drug down by his cage so add another 15. Power +6 Jet Sweep +3 Stretch for 4 and a score. Kick is good, 14-0...2:22 left in the first quarter.

They run the ball twice and pick up 12 yards, then run it again and lose 2...they try and throw it again, QB hit as he throws...incomplete...3rd and 12. The run a little dive play, the Center is draped around MIKE's legs...ball carrier runs past him, no flag...the point try is good. 14-8.

Stretch for 2 and we let the clock run out on the quarter...Veer +4, 3rd and 4 and we decide to run a simple slant play...QB's eyes are coming up the field before he fielded the snap...ball on the ground bad guys get it...

They have the ball on a short field...25 going in, 1st down they run a toss sweep that takes forever to develop and lose a yard. they run it again and get 2. 3rd and 9 they throw it again, we hit the QB again...incomplete...4th down...they drop back to throw it...apparently the QB is tired of getting hit...so he pulls it down and takes off...picks up 4....turn over on downs...

Veer +3, Veer +11, Power +11, Power for 0, jet sweep for 1...stretch for 0...4th and 9, we call power...QB opens the wrong way....freezes...unfreezes...takes off to the backside (no blocking there) and loses 6 yards...turn over on downs.

The finally complete a pass for 15 yards (yes, we hit the QB again). run it for 2, run it for nothing, throw it again, they are now keeping a back in to pick up one of the OLBs...the QB is clean, but has happy feet...incomplete...turnover on downs...

about a 1:00 to half...stretch for 24, I call time out...we try the slant again...QBs feet are a mess....throws the ball into the ground in front of the open receiver...we decide to throw it again on 2nd down, this time a go...the receiver gets behind the defense and turns around as if to say  "hey I am behind the defense" and the ball sails over his head...time for one more play (clock operators are not great at 8 year old football)….I tell my OC to run reverse...he does, the QB snaps it too soon putting the unblocked DE into play...he is on the first back as soon as he receives the ball, luckily he manages to get it to the other back...who picks up 8 of the 29 we needed to score...half time. 14-8...the game is much closer than it should be...we talk amongst the coaches on how to handle it, and then talk to the boys...telling them we need to clean up the mistakes and take it to them in the second half...defense, keep doing what you are doing...

We get the ball...Power +3, Power +12, Jet Sweep +4, Veer +11, stretch for 20 and a TD, kick is good. 22-8.

back to defense...1st down they get 15, run the same play on second and are stopped at the LOS. They complete their second pass of the day for 12 yards (and we hit the QB). they have a false start, another incomplete, run for 8, and run for a loss of 4....4th and 11....they try and pass again...ball is up...there is some incidental contact between the receiver and MIKE...but the ball lands 10 yards beyond everyone...and the bad guys sideline is screaming for pass interference...and out comes the flag...they talked him into it....I immediately tell the linesman on our side to go explain to him that the ball was uncatchable and to pick up the flag...they "conference" my linesman is coming back....and they are marking off the penalty...the linesman said, "I tried, but he was talked into it"...1st and goal from the 8...they pick up 7 and their back is...smacked at the goal line by 2 of my linebackers...injury timeout...2nd and goal they score...try to throw for the point...QB hammered again...incomplete...22-14...about 3 minutes left in the 3rd...

1st down...my RT inexplicably jumps while the backs are still getting aligned...no cadence had been called yet, our first pre-snap penalty of the season...Power +3, Jet Sweep +6, Veer +10, Veer again +1 and the quarter ends...2nd and 9, QB opens the wrong way on Power again...-3, and he does it again on 3rd down...-2...we decide to punt for the first time this season...

they start on first down with a run of 17...followed by a loss of 2....2nd and 12, they call the slow toss sweep play, and my LB meets that back in the backfield, but is too high and bounces off...the back goes up the field and the center tackles my MIKE...and we finally get the flag as the back streaks down the sideline...but doesn't score...as one of my DT's pursues him, catches him from behind and tackles him at the 4...result of the play is a loss of 8. Next play, the try to throw again...this time we pick it off...

First down, stretch...it goes for about 20 yards, but there is a flag...my back lowered his head and put the crown of his helmet in a LB's chest and ran him over...they called USC and warned me to fix it...I walked back with the back down the sideline and explained he couldn't do that, it was not safe, and if he did it again, they were going to put him out of the game...he said okay...2nd down, same play, same back...and he goes 47 yards for the score...with no flags...kick is no good. 28-14.

1st down they lose 2, second down, they get one back...3rd down, they are passing again...my LB puts his shoulder pad in the middle of the QB's back and the ball comes flying out...the other OLB falls on it...short field again...1st down at their 19...

Veer +6, stretch +11, Jet sweep TD....kick good...36-14.

Two minutes left....1st down we collapse the line and hit the QB and the RB at the mesh...loss of 5...then false start...2nd and 20...they try and throw again...we hit the QB again...and the pass hits the grass...next play, they try and throw again...it's picked off...but they flagged them for a false start...3 and 25...time for one more play...they run it and pick up 7 and the ball is loose...so one of my boys grabs it and tries to pull it away from the back...I had to tell him to let it go and line up πŸ˜›

Hand shake line...their assistant coaches start talking noise to our coaches...we reply with good job coach...I get to the header and try and tell him his boys played hard and it was a good game...but he shook my hand and turned and walked away...I could tell by his body language he was pissed...and I had no idea why...Dawg Pound...prayed it up...praised the boys for overcoming our mistakes told them to have a great weekend...then talked with the coaches and some of the parents...trying to figure out why coach was pissed...turns out...my pre-game conversation really twisted him up...I guess he took it like I was telling him he and his team sucked...which I didn't say at all...one of my assistants told me I am not allowed to talk to the other coaches before the game any more other than to say good luck πŸ™‚

We are now 3-0...scoring 126 points while surrendering 46. Averages of 42 and 15.3...want to get the points against average down...

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
September 27, 2019 5:48 am  

Great recap and nice job on the win.  I always enjoy reading about your teams, as it seems you do a great job with the kids.  I was horrible at coaching football, so hearing about your running the compliment of plays you have with the age you are at is very impressive to me.  Hats off to you.

Regarding the other coach in this game, from the way you described your pregame conversation with him it did sound to me that you were kind of telling him you were about to blow his team out without actually saying "we are going to blow you out."  Even when I have a powerhouse team and the opposing coaches say something like "hey, take it easy on us" or something along those lines I always shrug it off and tell reply with something like "eh, you never know" or "yeah, we've have a hard time running our offense clean lately" or some other blah blah.  But I don't think I've ever told them I was going to do my best to keep the score down. I just go about my business and keep the score down without announcing it beforehand.

There was one team that we had a pregame discussion about playing backups and stuff but they had tried to cancel the game ahead of time and we talked it through with them about how our backups and their players would be better for competing in a game instead of just having another day of team practice.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 27, 2019 6:55 am  

In previous conversations with the opposing coach...he has talked about how bad his kids are and how we are blessed with all the studs.

--That's the rhetoric you'll hear from a losing coach; how he wasn't given any talent and how "all the good players" went to your team.  It's just a guy who takes no responsibility for his situation and how he got there.

Told him good luck...well apparently he took offense to that.

--I swear I don't know why you engage these people.

Hand shake line...their assistant coaches start talking noise to our coaches...we reply with good job coach...I get to the header and try and tell him his boys played hard and it was a good game...but he shook my hand and turned and walked away...I could tell by his body language he was pissed...and I had no idea why.

--Chris, you really don't know why?  You can't be that naive...

one of my assistants told me I am not allowed to talk to the other coaches before the game any more other than to say good luck

--Actually, that's a very good suggestion by your AC.  Just leave their staff alone, or you're going to be wondering why you keep having this experience.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze
September 27, 2019 7:03 am  

I could not ever imagine talking to the opposing coaches before the game.

I have had quite a few try and talk to me-I am always polite but I quickly remove myself from the conversation.

I think you can now see that this should be eliminated from your pregame time.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 27, 2019 7:10 am  

Regarding the other coach in this game, from the way you described your pregame conversation with him it did sound to me that you were kind of telling him you were about to blow his team out without actually saying "we are going to blow you out."  Even when I have a powerhouse team and the opposing coaches say something like "hey, take it easy on us" or something along those lines I always shrug it off and tell reply with something like "eh, you never know" or "yeah, we've have a hard time running our offense clean lately" or some other blah blah.  But I don't think I've ever told them I was going to do my best to keep the score down. I just go about my business and keep the score down without announcing it beforehand.

There was one team that we had a pregame discussion about playing backups and stuff but they had tried to cancel the game ahead of time and we talked it through with them about how our backups and their players would be better for competing in a game instead of just having another day of team practice.

Thanks for the kind words...

As far as the convo with coach goes...my wife explained to me what I did wrong (sometimes I am dense)…"You told him he sucks and his kids suck and there is nothing he can do about it, but you are going to be nice enough not to run up the score"...so yeah...I get it...I screwed up...

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 27, 2019 7:16 am  

Dave...normally I am not that naΓ―ve πŸ˜› this time, I really was clueless though...I thought maybe he was mad because we beat up his QB all afternoon...until it was explained to me...and after my wife talked me through it, I understand why coach was upset...I guess...

That said...I was really trying to be nice... πŸ™‚ should have known better...not that good at being nice...:P

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 27, 2019 7:19 am  

And...

Why do I engage these guys...I think that question deserves it's own thread πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 30, 2019 4:58 am  

So, Saturday morning went out to the field early to apologize to coach...he said "for what?" I reminded him...he said, "Oh, I wasn't even listening to you"...so why were you pissed in the handshake line? "I hate losing"...II said "fair enough" πŸ˜›

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 30, 2019 5:52 am  

so why were you pissed in the handshake line? "I hate losing"

I hate losing, too.  H A T E  it.  But I can manage my emotions in a handshake line.  Tell him to grow a set.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: