DKTurtle game log (...

Notifications
Clear all

DKTurtle game log (game 4: Most physical game yet)

DKTurtle
(@dkturtle)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Some drama at the organization where I had coached at for 10 years ended with me being out. Its a long story but essentially the schools picked up the modified teams which were previously in our private youth league. I had been the HC of the modified team but now the entire board of "my people" stepped down as all of them were parents of modified players. The new board had a plan in place to keep the other teams' coaches in place rather than having me displace any of them. I tried to work with them but the new regime was committed to "Power I, block the guy in front of you" style of football. After some heated arguments and some losses where we were the more talented team, I moved on. 

After 1 year with the new organization I was made DC of the 9u team who has a brand new HC this year (has been with the organization for years but this is his first time as a HC). We have a good relationship. He knows I have experience, he knows I put real effort into becoming a better coach, he considers my input and it feels like a joint effort. Its a much better situation for me than with the previous organization once we were without a modified team. 

I am running a very bastardized version of the DC46 (league rules forced a lot of changes). After realizing exactly where we are after week 3, we may look to expand with some other looks as well. 

Week 1: We had a bye

Week 2: We played a very poor team. We learned nothing about ourselves. We were more talented but they were horribly coached as well. They struggled getting snaps and handoffs. We cause 6 turnovers and held them to a negative yardage total on the day. Offensively we scored on our first 3 drives, took our starting backs out (league rules) then scored 2 more times with our backups in.

W 35-0

Week 3: Big test. From all of our scouting we expect this game to have championship implications. They beat their first 2 opponents by at least 2 TDs. They are a well coached, physical downhill team. Defensively they are sound and physical up front. Our kids came ready to play. For a 9 year old team, we played as close to mistake free football as you can ask for. Few missed assignments, few missed tackles, few negative plays. By halftime we were up 3 TDs. We didn't push them around but we didn't make mistakes. Our drives didn't stall, theirs did, that was the difference in the game. I was disappointed we didn't get the shutout but even the 2nd team defense played well. We thought we had a good team but after this game anything less than a championship will be a disappointment.

W 28-6

Week 4: Came out flat. After last week the kids know they should win every game and for a group of 9 year olds that can be tough to keep out of their heads. We played solid team with a really good RB. He is fast, cuts well and breaks tackles. He is the only real threat that they have, but he is a threat to take it to the house every time he touches it. Not sure if we underestimated his speed or were just flat in general but he ran for a few big plays against us on the opening drive. Before you knew it they were down to about our 25 yard line. We either figured out the angles with his speed or got our heads out of our behinds, and we made the stop. Our (1st team) offense hasn't been stopped all year, and they stayed true to form with an opening drive TD. Defense looks to have tightened up but gives up a 1st down with a penalty before making the stop. Offense keeps rolling, defense was lights out for the rest of the game and the rout was on.

W 27-0

Week 5: Most physical game yet. Playing a 1 loss team with some big hitters on defense. We were missing our starting RB/MLB who is out quarantining due to a COVID close contact. We still have a good team but obviously that is a big hole to fill on both sides of the ball. Defense starts strong with a 3 and out. Offense scores on their first possession. Defense with another 3 and out. Offense is driving and we think the rout is on. Not so fast, those big hitters jar the ball loose and they recover. Luckily the defense continued to be rock solid pitching their 3rd shutout in 4 games. The offense really struggled and our opponent was the more physical team when we had the ball. Our offense managed to score again but the physicality of the defense took its toll. All of our backs came out for a number of snaps at some point or another after being shaken up. 

W 16-0

Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

DKTurtle
(@dkturtle)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Game 4 posted

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

It's great to see all of these shutouts! Keep up the great work coach!!

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
DKTurtle
(@dkturtle)
Bronze
Topic starter  
Posted by: @terrypjohnson

It's great to see all of these shutouts! Keep up the great work coach!!

Love it! It has certainly become a point of pride with this team. A lot of football left but it irks me that we should be unscored upon thus far. I keep telling them that they've allowed 0 and I allowed 6 because it really was my fault we gave up the one score we've given up. When we get back to practice Tuesday I'll be bringing donuts again. This season is getting expensive, but I hope to buy them for the rest of the season. 

ReplyQuote
Share: