Notifications

Does anyone know playoff criteria?  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze
October 14, 2019 4:25 am  

Im sure it is in the Pop Warner handbook somewhere, or not.  My team is 5-0-2, our last game of the year is against a 7-0.  If we win are we in?  I just cant seem to find the breakdown, is it wins, win percentage.  Any help?

terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
October 14, 2019 5:51 am  

My understanding is that a tie counts as a half win, half loss. With a win, you'd be 6-0-2, which translates to 7-1. The other team would also be 7-1. In most scenarios, you'd get the nod because you won the head-to-head matchup.

Of course, every organization is different. Let's hope yours follows the rules I laid above 🙂

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze
October 14, 2019 6:44 am  

Thanks, Im also thinking division record would be first then conference, which I didnt state in original question.  Div records would be 4-1 for them and 4-0-1 for us if we win, plus the head to head.  Wont matter much if our boys cant go out and get the W though.  Appreciate the help though.

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze
November 6, 2019 6:19 am  

So I guess be careful for what you wish for would be appropriate...

https://www.allprosoftware.net/2019_Eastern_Region_Football_Championships/16/aptschart.htm

We have a tough road ahead, 1st game vs defending national AYF champ who moved back to PW this year.  2nd game against defending unlimited champ for PW and 3rd would be against perennial powerhouse Aztecs.  Pretty impressive company for a little D3 program like ours.  Good practice week so far, kids will need to be at the top of their game to compete with these programs. 

A little bummed that our opponent managed home field but our boys have been strong road warriors this season and our parents have been great vocal supporters.

Say a prayer we all come through healthy and intact!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 6, 2019 6:54 am  

Im sure it is in the Pop Warner handbook somewhere, or not.

--It isn't.

My team is 5-0-2, our last game of the year is against a 7-0.  If we win are we in?  I just cant seem to find the breakdown, is it wins, win percentage.  Any help?

--How do you end up with two ties?  PW goes by high school rules so how are you not getting an overtime?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 6, 2019 6:55 am  

Of course, every organization is different.

Each conference figures it out its own way.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 6, 2019 6:57 am  

https://www.allprosoftware.net/2019_Eastern_Region_Football_Championships/16/aptschart.htm

Are you JPW, PW, JV, Unlimited, something else?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze
November 6, 2019 9:21 am  

Regarding ties, not sure if it is a conf rule or beyond that, but there is no overtime in our league for regular season. 

We are 14u Unlimited.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
November 6, 2019 6:57 pm  

PW goes by high school rules so how are you not getting an overtime?

Since when are tiebreakers mandatory in "high school rules"?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 7, 2019 2:44 am  

Since when are tiebreakers mandatory in "high school rules"?

Never said it was mandatory.  During pregame, officials always ask us, “If the game is tied at the end of regulation, do you want to play an overtime?”  Only one time have I ever heard a coach say no.  Even in youth ball we played overtimes.  The only levels they didn’t was Tiny Mites (where scores aren’t kept) and Mitey-Mites (where there are no standings or regional post-season competition). 

—Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
November 7, 2019 6:13 am  

Never said it was mandatory.  During pregame, officials always ask us, “If the game is tied at the end of regulation, do you want to play an overtime?”  Only one time have I ever heard a coach say no.  Even in youth ball we played overtimes.  The only levels they didn’t was Tiny Mites (where scores aren’t kept) and Mitey-Mites (where there are no standings or regional post-season competition).

We were entitled to 1 tiebreaking frame ("overtime" -- thought it's really not; like how the umpire calls "time" in baseball) this year, with 11Us, none before that.  12Us are allowed 3 OTs.  The issue for us is field time.  Games are played from youngest to oldest, so if there are games after you, you're messing up their schedule if you run long.

Where I coached last we had no tiebreakers except in playoffs; similar field time issue.  Even if you had the last American football game, after you there might be Gaelic football.

ReplyQuote
canepb
(@canepb)
Copper
November 11, 2019 10:24 am  

We have a tough road ahead, 1st game vs defending national AYF champ who moved back to PW this year.  2nd game against defending unlimited champ for PW and 3rd would be against perennial powerhouse Aztecs.  Pretty impressive company for a little D3 program like ours.  Good practice week so far, kids will need to be at the top of their game to compete with these programs. 

A little bummed that our opponent managed home field but our boys have been strong road warriors this season and our parents have been great vocal supporters.

Say a prayer we all come through healthy and intact!

What team are you guys?  We played Lenape Valley at Disney Last year.....

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
November 11, 2019 11:31 am  

What team are you guys?  We played Lenape Valley at Disney Last year.....

Lenape Valley?!  They're in our league (Newton Braves), but a different conference.  I wasn't aware the Morris County YFL sent a representative to AYF nationals.

ReplyQuote
canepb
(@canepb)
Copper
November 11, 2019 2:19 pm  

Lenape Valley?!  They're in our league (Newton Braves), but a different conference.  I wasn't aware the Morris County YFL sent a representative to AYF nationals.

We played Lenape Valley in the D2 JV  Championship last year at Disney.

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze
November 12, 2019 4:25 am  

We are Hillsborough Dukes 14u.  No divisions in unlimited, so all together. 

So huge snafu this weekend.  Our commissioner somehow reported our 12u loss in states as our 14u team and that resulted in Spring Valley thinking we werent playing.
We drive up there an hour and half on Sunday to find out that none of their kids are there because they thought we played and lost on Saturday and thus were not playing on Sunday.

The whole thing is so stupid in premise.  Obviously a simple phone call would have alerted anyone to the fact that a team doesnt play in consecutive days and that there was obviously some error.  I dont blame Spring Valley for not being there but the fact that they couldnt wrangle their team up at all is kind of silly.  Erroneous notification went out at about 5pm Saturday night, and by 10 am Sunday their entire team was church bound for the whole day...

So the league rescheduled us for this Saturday.  We get to drive almost all the way back up there.  If we win, we go short week against Brick City on Wed.  Win that and play on Sunday vs Aztec/Lenape winner.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: