Notifications

Flex Football for Spring Season  

RSS

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
February 5, 2020 2:24 pm  

Gents

After last Spring we vowed to never participate again so we are trying something unique. 

Flex Football. 

Looks like we will have about 24 third and fourth graders so we will field two teams. Never been a proponent of flag but this looks reasonable. Flag with pads. Should be interesting. We start next month. 9-12 games then a season ending Tournament. We are going to work hard on plyos and form running. Try and get the kids from our team a step faster and more confident. With no tackling being taught, we will focus on their form, demeanor and football IQ. 

Flex Football Link

Flex Football Game
This topic was modified 10 months ago 2 times by mahonz

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Topic Tags
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
February 5, 2020 3:20 pm  
Posted by: @mahonz

Gents

After last Spring we vowed to never participate again so we are trying something unique. 

Flex Football. 

Looks like we will have about 24 third and fourth graders so we will field two teams. Never been a proponent of flag but this looks reasonable. Flag with pads. Should be interesting. We start next month. 9-12 games then a season ending Tournament. We are going to work hard on plyos and form running. Try and get the kids from our team a step faster and more confident. With no tackling being taught, we will focus on their form, demeanor and football IQ. 

Flex Football Link

Flex Football Game

We discussed offering something Similar to Flex at Grade 4 was met with great opposition.  If they're going to wear pads just play Tackle was an oft heard reply.   Heck our Flag system is not going as well as we would like. 

We had planned for FLAG from K through 3, then Flex (Variant) at 4th and possibly 5th grade as an introduction to Tackle ball that would go from 6-8th Grade.    

We have gone from a high of 195 kids to just 60 kids playing Tackle ball.   So we are looking at anything to keep the embers glowing.  

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 5, 2020 4:11 pm  
Posted by: @youth-coach
If they're going to wear pads just play Tackle was an oft heard reply. 

Sounds reasonable to me.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Mosley the Cat
(@mosleythecat)
Silver Admin
Maryland
February 5, 2020 5:37 pm  

The youth rugby in our area has the 'tackle' as a two hand touch on the shorts. As rugby tackles are wrapping the thighs, this gets the kids used to getting into a breakdown position.

Don't cross my path.

ZACH liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
February 5, 2020 5:45 pm  
Posted by: @mahonz

Gents

Flex Football. 

Flex Football Link

Flex Football Game

We discussed offering something Similar to Flex at Grade 4 was met with great opposition.  If they're going to wear pads just play Tackle was an oft heard reply.   Heck our Flag system is not going as well as we would like. 

We had planned for FLAG from K through 3, then Flex (Variant) at 4th and possibly 5th grade as an introduction to Tackle ball that would go from 6-8th Grade.    

We have gone from a high of 195 kids to just 60 kids playing Tackle ball.   So we are looking at anything to keep the embers glowing.  

Our League felt that flag was taking away from tackle after starting flag as a means to bridge to tackle. So they killed flag and joined an existing Flex League for this Spring. The idea is still to bridge kids into tackle.  At least it allows blocking and blocking destruction. Plus its 9 on 9 so the mayhem is there. But....I am just assuming. 

We shall see. I just couldn't bring myself to do tackle this Spring. There is only one League and it is in trouble. Last year was horrific as far as sportsmanship and overall structure. 

The biggie...Now i just show up and coach. No renting fields. paying entrance fees , buying jerseys, providing equipment and organizing insurance. Although we will probably have to split our staff in two so we might be a bit lite on coaches. 

This post was modified 10 months ago 2 times by mahonz

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
February 5, 2020 8:15 pm  
Posted by: @mosleythecat

The youth rugby in our area has the 'tackle' as a two hand touch on the shorts. As rugby tackles are wrapping the thighs, this gets the kids used to getting into a breakdown position.

This is the way

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
February 5, 2020 9:43 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp
If they're going to wear pads just play Tackle was an oft heard reply. 

Sounds reasonable to me.

--Dave

Here is the reality Dave.  Hardly anyone playing Tackle Football in our area at the 3rd and 4th grade Level and below.  Most have gone to Flag.  Strong resistance to Flag in our town for whatever reason.  As such we have a huge Gap!   

Our League has Tackle from 5th through 8th grade.   The ancillary League associated with "Junior High Football" had dropped Tackle football. Under 5th Grade.  We are the smallest town in our league, Population 2k.  Competing against towns with access from 4-6K population one has 10K.  Don't care about the underdog status, the concern is that the other towns are seeing a similar drop in participation in tackle but a rise in Flag.  We aren't seeing the Rise in Flag participation we anticipated.  

As you know I have been at this for 16 years as a Coach and Board Member.  I thought many times last season if, me being a proverbial "Dinosaur", was part of the issue.  I resigned after last season, exasperated, and in hopes that more kids would participate or show up to practice this coming year.  They say Lead, Follow, Or Get Out Of The Way!  I am out of the way and truly hope the Phoenix rises form the ashes!  I will advance the cause in any way I can.  

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
February 6, 2020 2:41 pm  

I take it the pads are because there's blocking.  But I've seen lots of touch and flag with blocking but no pads.  Is the blocking less restricted in Flex?  There's very few blocking techniques that are legal in tackle but outlawed in flag or touch, except those that just plain don't allow blocking.  So what's with the pads?  And once they're padded, what's the objection to tackling?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
February 6, 2020 2:56 pm  
Posted by: @bob-goodman

I take it the pads are because there's blocking.  But I've seen lots of touch and flag with blocking but no pads.  Is the blocking less restricted in Flex?  There's very few blocking techniques that are legal in tackle but outlawed in flag or touch, except those that just plain don't allow blocking.  So what's with the pads?  And once they're padded, what's the objection to tackling?

In flex, you have to block with the hands. On defense, no bull rushing. I have NO idea how they will enforce that. I was against it at first, but I was also against Spring tackle for the reasons that Mahonz mentioned. Then, I saw the interest from our players and figured "flex football is better than no football". Sometimes weird rules an parameters suck, but they can also allow you to try things you wouldn't normally waste time on. I will be exploring different actions from a DW formation and really push the limits on what we can do out of it. The hands blocking is what we do anyway, so I will be developing my brother in law into an o-line coach. 

Why pads? Optics. When Mahonz went around last off season recruiting basketball and baseball players for tackle football, he got an extremely cold reception. One mom called him a child abuser to his face and said he should be thrown in jail. This year, he's got 2 basketball players coming out for Flex whose parents were very hesitant about football. All I've ever asked out of a parent is for a chance to win them over.

Also, our best player from last year has a mom who treats her baby like he's made of glass. He missed a month of football for a head injury followed by 3 weeks of "I'm not ready". SHE wasn't ready. Not the son. It turns out, she is an active PTA member and was catching hell from the PTA and her son's principal for allowing him to play, along with the "I told you so's" about his head injury. Well, she is 100% and enthusiastically on board with Flex. Mahonz and I were convinced we'd lost him after last season.

I'm looking forward to it.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 6, 2020 3:07 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

The hands blocking is what we do anyway, so I will be developing my brother in law into an o-line coach. 

What happened to putting your best coach with the offensive line?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
February 6, 2020 10:23 pm  

@coachdp

Mahonz doesn't coach the o-line. I usually take o-line, but I'll be OC next Fall. If I can get my brother in law up to speed this Spring, he'll have the job in the Fall. If not, I'll double up.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
February 7, 2020 2:53 pm  

Why pads? Optics.

In flex, you have to block with the hands. On defense, no bull rushing. I have NO idea how they will enforce that.

Doesn't seem that hard.  "No bull rushing" to me means you have to make contact with hands first.  Which means you can't play "invisible blocker", have to engage if you see them coming.  Otherwise it looks about the same as what I've seen elsewhere they have touch or tackle with blocking, except they usually add no blocking below the waist, no going to the ground as part of a blocking move.

But if there's no shoulder blocking or bull rushing, then what body parts are padded?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
February 7, 2020 8:06 pm  

But if there's no shoulder blocking or bull rushing, then what body parts are padded?

Head and shoulders.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
February 8, 2020 11:55 am  

Head and shoulders.

Oh.  I didn't see the scrum caps in the video until I made it full screen.  Thought they just had dark hair!

But what's the purpose of padding the shoulders when there's no shoulder blocking?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
February 8, 2020 12:24 pm  

Oh.  I didn't see the scrum caps in the video until I made it full screen.  Thought they just had dark hair!But what's the purpose of padding the shoulders when there's no shoulder blocking?

My guess: 1) Optics 2) Chance to sell shoulder pads. These aren't full on shoulder pads. The look like they're made out of 1/2" foam.

ReplyQuote
Share: