Notifications
Clear all

Game 1

Page 2 / 4

patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Great job, Coach! You have already got that group of young men believing, so the sky is the limit.

Remember, there are no style points in football.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Pretty ballsy Dave. Congrats. Sometimes you have to play for the win and play to your strengths. Win or lose you can at least say you did what you do best. Punt? Heck no. I would of taken the safety.  😛

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Pretty ballsy Dave. Congrats. Sometimes you have to play for the win and play to your strengths. Win or lose you can at least say you did what you do best. Punt? Heck no. I would of taken the safety.  😛

I was thinking almost the same thing.  The problem with a 7 point lead is that they have to also get the XP, which sounds like the defense was playing well.  If you give them the safety, then they just have to score the TD.  If it was a 5 point lead, definitely do the safety (I assume that FG's are not a strong suit for the other team).  With a 7 point lead, I am not so sure. 

Either way, it takes balls to go for it on 4th down. 

ReplyQuote
PioneerCoach
(@pioneercoach)
Bronze

Potterball FTW!!!

Congrats Dave.  Now tell your QB to get out early with his snapper and work on his punting!

-CT

"February: I want to run triple option from the single wing, but with a pass option, too. Should the end run a post or a corner?
September: Any advice on how to get my center to snap it properly?"

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver

Coach, i think for kids that are used to getting beat up, that's got to be one of the best kinds of wins.  They could have believed it was going to be just like last year early, they could have folded late.  And they didn't.

When i was following this post earlier, I thought considering the history that staying close would be a pretty good goal, but i knew that kind of thinking would not be appreciated, and so i kept that to myself, and i'm glad i did.

I don't really know you, or your kids, other than what i've read here.  But when i saw you guys pulled it out, I had a smile a mile wide.  I'm very happy for you.  But honestly, more happy for your kids.  You've had a lot of success, they've had so very little.  And they worked for what they achieved. 

Football is a cruel mistress, and it may not be all ups this year.  But what a great beginning.

And as a side note, I bet your opponent was shocked as hell.  There is NOTHING like turning the tables on a group that thinks they are going to blow you off the field.  We pulled it off once, managing an 86 point turn around in one year vs a group of coaches that absolutely loved to run it up.  The looks on our boys faces after the game was something i'll literally never forget.

Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

we rotated fbs and wings and even TEs

Steve, when I was at CHS in 2013 we ran a lot of different Backs.  (RB by committee.)  But I'd never done a pre-determined rotation that we'd stuck with for the duration, regardless of situation.  Dunno if we'll do it next week, but it seemed to work okay. 

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Dave, we produced the 8th best rushing attack in the HISTORY of Ct hs football in 2014... we rotated fbs and wings and even TEs....still had a wing and a fb rush for over 1000 yards...the newspapers were in awe that we had more rushing attempts than passing yards.

As u said, kids have different skill sets and will make the most of each touch. Parents appreciate the greater overall team aspect of it....if you go way back...boone jr high....tailbacks rotating in our single wing...9 games, both over 1000 yards. Different styles.

That's the DW version of "going multiple". 🙂
If you're going to run the same play over and over, might as well change it up by using different backs. Kent and I used to do that. Some days one group would do better. Other days, the other group would do better. I'm not smart or patient enough to figure out why.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I would of taken the safety.

Rob, I thought long and hard about it.  But being as we would have only led by 5 and could have lost on a TD, I'd have rather made them score twice (a TD and an XP to tie or beat us).  Plus, they would have had to figure out if they were going to try for the tie or the win; sometimes that pressure can screw up a decision because you're second-guessing yourself.  I wanted to punt, but my kid didn't want to be kicking out of his own end zone when his only punt of the game went for 9 yards.  And I still have flashbacks about that punt-return that beat us last year.  We were gassed on defense because we have so many 2-way players.  And even though their offense hadn't scored since their first play of the game, I knew they had the ability to score on one play.  I'm lucky my call didn't bite me in the butt because I'm a coach who likes the punt.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

If you're going to run the same play over and over, might as well change it up by using different backs. Kent and I used to do that. Some days one group would do better. Other days, the other group would do better.

When I was at CHS, we'd rotate them them through the 1st Half, then at half-time would decide who had the hot hand and go with that pair for the 2nd Half.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

It wasn't pretty. 

Hmm . . . .

On any given game day, here's a short list of things I can't depend on:
Weather
Crowd noise
Referees
Quality of my opponent
Bad fumbles
Bad interceptions
Missed tackles
Missed assignments
Unlucky plays
etc.

One thing I can always depend on as long as we install it:
Heart

Your boys took another team's Mojo and you don't have to fret over how close you came to winning.

Sounds like a pretty win to me.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

One thing I can always depend on as long as we install it:
Heart

Your boys took another team's Mojo and you don't have to fret over how close you came to winning.

Sounds like a pretty win to me.

I knew we would be good at what we had focused on:  We were very tough, physical and aggressive.  We had some big hits.  Our pursuit was very good.  We played with confidence.  We never got too high or low.  And we enjoyed the fight in the phone booth.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Rob, I thought long and hard about it.  But being as we would have only led by 5 and could have lost on a TD, I'd have rather made them score twice (a TD and an XP to tie or beat us).  Plus, they would have had to figure out if they were going to try for the tie or the win; sometimes that pressure can screw up a decision because you're second-guessing yourself.  I wanted to punt, but my kid didn't want to be kicking out of his own end zone when his only punt of the game went for 9 yards.  And I still have flashbacks about that punt-return that beat us last year.  We were gassed on defense because we have so many 2-way players.  And even though their offense hadn't scored since their first play of the game, I knew they had the ability to score on one play.  I'm lucky my call didn't bite me in the butt because I'm a coach who likes the punt.

--Dave

Ideally, of course you punt. But if my punter is shook up and scared no way I punt. My choice about taking the safety was based on the fact your defense had been playing well and conditioning was becoming a factor. The fact that you trusted the kids, even though they fell short on 4th, sends them a great message. It's their team and they win or lose the game. You showed you believe in them and that is huge.

So now the varsity will start taking all your kids.  ???

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

Wow, great win. The end of that game was one of those defining moments. I agree with Rob, you sent them a great message. Great job

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze

Congrats Dave on the well deserved win.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

So now the varsity will start taking all your kids.  ???

Right? >:(

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: