Notifications
Clear all

Game #3

HCScott
(@herb-scott)
Bronze
Topic starter  

This late in the year and we're just playing our 3rd game. The first one against who I thought had the best talent and lost 25-7. The second vs a poorly coached team we beat easily 25-6. Then a bye week.
So today we played an undefeated team who hadn't lost the last two years and had beaten the team that pounded us.

They deferred and we mounted a long drive for a score and extra point. Their defense had not allowed a score this season.
Our defense had a 3 and out and the offense again held the ball until half way through the 2nd quarter. They got a long run for a TD on the last play of the 1st half but it was called back on a block in the back penalty. Their RB's were breaking tackles but the pursuit was enough to get them down and our philosophy of giving ground, making tackles, but keeping them out of the end zone and eating clock was working. Their anticipated meltdown began.

The second half began with our nearly recovering an onside kick but after they recovered we held them but had to insert our second offense to get them their minimum plays and went 4 plays and out. The momentum changed and they had a busted play go for a big gainer and then another for a TD but we got the stop on the extra point. We got the starters back in on offense and ate the clock as their sideline went full on meltdown from coaches, players and parents. We hard counted them twice for huge 1st downs, their sideline got flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct and the clock ran. We weren't perfect though and a block in the back penalty on a wedge play of all things forced us to pass on 4th and 11 and a wide open receiver dropped a perfect pass.

Now they were in full on desperation, as was I, since I had really young players who hadn't played their minimum plays. I had to get 10 guys 4 more plays! The clock was running down and I was going to have to insert these players into the defense when a huge hit caused a forced fumble that we recovered with 1:27 remaining. I had to put our second offense in the game to seal it. They still had 3 time outs though. We put our QB in with the backups and he ran wedge 4 straight times but we had to give them the ball at our 35 with 30 seconds left. They ran reverse and our DE stayed home and made the tackle to end their unbeaten streak, 7-6.

This was one of my proudest moments in coaching football! We showed how the little, itty, bitty team can come in and beat a vastly more talented team through DISCIPLINE ! A nearly flawless football game played by 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders.

"The quarterback must go down and he must go down hard"

Monster
(@monster)
Gold

Love it!

Mission Statement: To make a genuine effort at every opportunity to help those around me build and maintain a commitment to success.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

We showed how the little, itty, bitty team can come in and beat a vastly more talented team through DISCIPLINE !

Must be the coaching.  Congratulations!

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
HCScott
(@herb-scott)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Must be the coaching.  Congratulations!

--Dave

Thanks to all the Dum Coach's who have helped, guided and encouraged me!
Especially DC who gave me precise instruction and direction and DP who guided me about aggression and coaching demeanor.

ReplyQuote
HCScott
(@herb-scott)
Bronze
Topic starter  

The best part for me personally was that I started our opponent's coaches in their program 2 years ago.
The Org was a mess, bankrupt and helmets 12 years old and disgustingly dirty so I bought them new gear for 3 teams, recruited coaches and Dad's to take over positions, rearranged the coaching principles, priorities and expectations.

We were about .500 that year but I had a dispute with the President over funding and accounting and walked away from coaching last year to just be a working man 6 days a week.
Those coaches got rid of the despicable President and treaded forward and are having success!

Yesterday my son and I personally had something to prove, wanted this win badly, and our boys went out and made our statement for us! Feeling like a coach again and it feels good!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

And pulling for the Washington Federals makes it even better! 😉

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

DP who guided me about aggression and coaching demeanor.

Coach, if you don't think you need the help, don't accept the help, don't understand how to apply the help or have enough insecurity to not ask for the help, then you....find yourself like most other coaches out there.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
HCScott
(@herb-scott)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Coach, if you don't think you need the help, don't accept the help, don't understand how to apply the help or have enough insecurity to not ask for the help, then you....find yourself like most other coaches out there.

--Dave

I'm always looking for help, direction and ideas to get better. Especially from successful coaches. I heard Ditka say it a long time ago and heard Payton Manning say it Saturday... "you either get better or you get worse, you never stay the same"

ReplyQuote
Share: