Notifications
Clear all

Game Saturday

Page 2 / 3

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @coachdp

However, it's when people say that the Double Wing "doesn't teach anything" or "doesn't prepare players for the next level" that their level of stupidity starts to show.

--Dave

You can add Beast to that as well. Game plan for this week: Run 1 play (2 if you count going left) the entire game. Really worked hard on TKO and backs' blocking responsibilities. It will be the most "boring" game of the year for us. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Woody Hayes found himself down at half time came out and threw more than usual, nearly pulled out the victory.   Someone (AD?) said, "well, you suire made it exciting." 

Hayes replied:

"To [heck] with exciting, I'd rather be drab as [heck] and win." 

This post was modified 1 month ago by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

This Saturday we have a 2+ hour drive to Charlotte to play the PAL Panthers.  They're supposed to be pretty good, so I'm looking forward to this.  Here's their vid:

PAL Panthers

--Dave

What is up with youth teams using music heavily featuring the "n" word in their videos?  Or other curse words for that matter? I pick up a player every Wednesday for practice. Yesterday, instead of playing my talk radio, I thought I'd put on some music for him. I said "Siri, play Top 40". The first song was "n" this and "n" that, so I hit "next" only to hear "f" this, "f" that, "f" her, etc. "Next" only to hear "MF". So I put on a radio station.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

doesn't prepare players for the next level" that their level of stupidity starts to show.

We hear that kinda thing all the time.  Our job isn't to prepare the kids for the next level, its to prepare them for this level.  

Here's the funny part, much of our WIng T translates beautifully with what the H.S. is doing.  

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coyote  Our job isn't to prepare the kids for the next level, its to prepare them for this level.  

But even if it were our job to "prepare them for the next level" (blech, I hate that stupid phrase), how does pulling, down blocking or rule blocking, running Trap, Sweep and Power not prepare them for ANY level?  

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @coyote  Our job isn't to prepare the kids for the next level, its to prepare them for this level.  

But even if it were our job to "prepare them for the next level" (blech, I hate that stupid phrase), how does pulling, down blocking or rule blocking, running Trap, Sweep and Power not prepare them for ANY level?  

--Dave

Couple of Springs ago, Mahonz and I faced an old and respected rival coach in Week 1. This was the year we had a team of mostly HS Freshman in a youth league. This coach was in the same boat, but he was 100% dedicated to "teaching them the HS playbook". Bad sign #1: league decided to do pictures before each game. We respectfully declined. Opposing coach dutifully lined his team up on movable bleachers for pictures. Bad sign #2: part of pregame was to quickly install KO and KR. Bad sign #3: he won the toss and elected to receive. His KR lined up 15 yards from the ball. We absolutely shellac'd him. I actually felt bad.

I guess on the upside, those guys are seniors now and that HS is ranked #2 in CO in 4A (out of 5A). Not sure how many of his guys are on the roster though. No idea if what they are running even remotely resembles what this guy ran 3 years ago.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

@mahonz - My uncle (a rabid Ohio State fan) told me that joke about N for knowledge a few years ago. It still makes me laugh... EVERY TIME 🙂

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @terrypjohnson

@mahonz - My uncle (a rabid Ohio State fan) told me that joke about N for knowledge a few years ago. It still makes me laugh... EVERY TIME 🙂

Or how the Huskers play on turf to stop the cheerleaders from grazing.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

--Dave

TLDR - Dave is right again 😉

Longer version:

"You ain't from here, Coach. That there stuff won't work in rec ball" (even though I did it for four seasons).

I've heard this no less than 100 times since we moved and the blocking scheme is always "block your man" because "we won championships this way". I doubt they'd gain a yard against someone like Coach JJ once he stunted and left a huge hole while the blocker chased the man. Then, they'll say, "Line, ya'll ain't blocking". Of course, TKO would solve this problem...

I really need to find a place to be a header next year. These things frustrate the heck out of me. If the purpose of youth ball is to teach kids how to play the game, then let's have them pull, trap, and down block. Let's give them the tools they need to play at any level.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

We had a 2.5 hour drive today to play our opponent.    

We won, 41-0.  They won the coin toss and elected to defer.  Not a smart choice to give a Double Wing team the ball first.  We drove down the field and scored, going up 7-0.  On their first possession, my defensive end rushed their QB into hurrying his pass which was picked off and returned for a Pick 6.  (I say "my" defensive end because I am coaching the DE's, as well.)  That put us up, 14-0.  On the next possession, my DE hit their QB from behind, he coughed up the football and we returned it for a scoop & score.  We were ahead 21-0 in the 1st Quarter and we'd had only one possession.  We put them in Slaughter in the 2nd Quarter, going up 28-0.  Went on to win 41-0, scoring a TD on our final possession and opting out of trying for the XP.  Up to that time, we were 6 of 6 on our XPs.  We were without a starting RB today and another starter had to leave at halftime(!?) to go to Fayetteville.  (I have no idea what that was about.). Anyhoos, that puts us at 2-0 on the season, outscoring our opponents, 90-0.  My DE caused an INT and a fumble.  This was her first start of the season.  That's us, in the pic.

Next week, we travel again.  Longer trip this time.  I hate all this travel, but it does prepare us for what play-off travel can be like.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

When Archie Griffin was winning 2 Heisman Trophies and even afterwards Woody Hayes was famous for 3 yards in a Cloud of Dust offense!  When asked why he ran Griffin for a forth straight time after he was stopped for no gain on the 3rd time.  Hayes retorted We had to see the the 3rd time was a fluke!  

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
DKTurtle
(@dkturtle)
Bronze

They won the coin toss and elected to defer.  Not a smart choice to give a Double Wing team the ball first.  We drove down the field and scored, going up 7-0. 

Seems the alternative would have been no smarter. 

On their first possession, my defensive end rushed their QB into hurrying his pass which was picked off and returned for a Pick 6.  (I say "my" defensive end because I am coaching the DE's, as well.)  That put us up, 14-0.  On the next possession, my DE hit their QB from behind, he coughed up the football and we returned it for a scoop & score.  We were ahead 21-0 in the 1st Quarter and we'd had only one possession.

Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

Posted by: @youth-coach

When Archie Griffin was winning 2 Heisman Trophies and even afterwards Woody Hayes was famous for 3 yards in a Cloud of Dust offense!  When asked why he ran Griffin for a forth straight time after he was stopped for no gain on the 3rd time.  Hayes retorted We had to see the the 3rd time was a fluke!  

"Coach, why did you go for two when you're up 50-14"

"Because I couldn't go for three"

Classic!!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @dkturtle

Seems the alternative would have been no smarter. 

Well in hindsight, yes.  I'm just always surprised when an opponent chooses to give the football to a Double Wing team considering we could keep the ball for the next 10 minutes...

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Next week, we play further away in Matthews, NC to play the Mara Colts.  I can't find a hype video like our last opponent had, but Mara's website says this about their 2019 Jr. PeeWee team, "2019 D3 Regional Champions."  That means that in 2021 those kids should be at the JV level (our team's age group).  That gives me hope for a better quality opponent than what we've had so far.  

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: