Notifications
Clear all

Game Saturday

Page 3 / 3

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Last week's opponent did provide a bit of our game video online.  We're the team in white.  Much better music this time.

Vid.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
DKTurtle
(@dkturtle)
Bronze

Posted by: @coachdp

Well in hindsight, yes.  I'm just always surprised when an opponent chooses to give the football to a Double Wing team considering we could keep the ball for the next 10 minutes...

--Dave

Out of curiosity, how do you define a double wing team? Looking at the video you posted, DW isn't the first thing that comes to mind but I can see how you block like a "old school" DW team. 

Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @dkturtle

Out of curiosity, how do you define a double wing team? Looking at the video you posted, DW isn't the first thing that comes to mind but I can see how you block like a "old school" DW team. 

a.  Zero splits.

b.  Blocking scheme.

c.  At least two backside pullers.

d.  A sniffer Fullback.

e.  Power as the core play.

f.  Systematic offensive approach where other core plays (Trap, Counter, Sweep) resemble Power.

g.  An offensive approach where ball-control is the featured philosophy.

h.  A reliance on Wedge.

i. Tim Murphy's playbook.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Won today, 51-0.  I think everyone on our team carried the ball.  Heck, I think everyone on our team scored.  Opponent had decent talent, horrid coaching.  We're 3-0, outscoring our opponents 141-0.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

@coachdp

When/where is your next game, Coach?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Next week is in Raleigh.  Unfortunately, we play our Week 1 opponent again.  After that, we're back on the road.  But right now our schedule is a week-by-week thing.  There are so few JV teams in this area of Pop Warner and no one's willing to travel to Raleigh to play us, so we have to be willing to go to them.  After Saturday's game, when we told our players that they would be playing the team they just beat 49-0, their heads just dropped.  It was as if we'd told them the season had been cancelled.  They really want to compete and play someone that will give them a good game.  I know that somewhere along the line we'll face someone who's good, but it's difficult to prepare for a tough opponent when you haven't played a tough opponent. 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

So last week I arrived at the stadium (out of town) at 11:15am, well before our 1:30pm deadline.  So I could either sit in my car and wait, or go inside the stadium and watch the other games.  I really, really didn't want to go in and watch the other games because I knew what I'd see, even though I'd never seen either of the two teams play before.  So I sat in my car for almost an hour until some of our players started arriving.  At this point, I went in with them while we waited for the rest of the team to arrive.  Got to watch more than half of a game that ended up 27-20, played by two teams who seemed determined not "to want it" even though one header kept asking his players "Do you guys want it?"  The game play was so bad, I could only assume that his question pertained to something other than football.  Anyway, I took my seat on the bleachers and watched.  1st Down: QB throws a screen pass to a wide open receiver who drops the pass.  2nd Down:  Shotgun snap goes clear over the QB's head for a 15 yard loss.  3rd Down: QB throws deep to wide open receiver but doesn't have the arm strength to get it there.  Ball falls way short.  4th Down and 25.  Who punts?  No one, so they try to make up 25 yards in one play of 4th Down and don't.  3 offensive plays in a row of non-production that had nothing to do with the opponent stopping them.  And why should they?  The offense did a great job of stopping themselves.  But on occasion, one team would run outside of the 11-defenders-in-a-box defense that both teams were employing and go 60-70 yards for a TD.  But mostly, it was a game of Shoot Self in Foot, Hand, Eye, Leg, Butt, Arm, etc.  I'm surprised the defenses didn't just take a knee and watch the other offense poke its own eye out.  I certainly wanted to poke out my own eye after watching it.  But for sure, the team on my sideline really wanted it.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Won today, 51-0 (36-0 at the half).  (That's 41-0, 49-0, 51-0 and 51-0 after four games.)  They kicked off, we ran it back for a touchdown.  They fumbled on their first play and we recovered it.  We scored on our first offensive play, but it was called back.  They marked off 5 yards against us and we ran the ball again for a touchdown.  Smallest player on the team scored a TD, as well as our DE.  We also scored a Safety.  We ran two kickoffs back for touchdowns (one to open the 2nd Half and one after scoring the safety).  Pretty much a clusterized disaster of an opponent.  We have better talent, but not 51 points worth.  Their coaching staff was worthless.  Next week, we're out of town for another 2+ hour drive in search of an opponent.  

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coachdp

Won today, 51-0 (36-0 at the half).  (That's 41-0, 49-0, 51-0 and 51-0 after four games.)  They kicked off, we ran it back for a touchdown.  They fumbled on their first play and we recovered it.  We scored on our first offensive play, but it was called back.  They marked off 5 yards against us and we ran the ball again for a touchdown.  Smallest player on the team scored a TD, as well as our DE.  We also scored a Safety.  We ran two kickoffs back for touchdowns (one to open the 2nd Half and one after scoring the safety).  Pretty much a clusterized disaster of an opponent.  We have better talent, but not 51 points worth.  Their coaching staff was worthless.  Next week, we're out of town for another 2+ hour drive in search of an opponent.  

--Dave

Curious. How are your players doing? Are they staying engaged? Those are some ridiculous scores. I'd be a bit concerned about losing them mentally. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mahonz

Curious. How are your players doing? Are they staying engaged? Those are some ridiculous scores. I'd be a bit concerned about losing them mentally. 

It's a concern.  They're very confident, which is fine.  They keep saying that they want to play a team that will make them work.  But kids usually do a lousy job of how good (or bad) they think they are.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Won today, 38-0.  This was a pretty talented opponent and they made us work. However, we ran the opening kickoff back for a touchdown, intercepted 2 passes, had a scoop & score, and recovered 2 onside kicks.  I don't care how talented you are, that'll get you beat.  The other thing they did was change what they did once they acquired good field position.  I've never understood why you put together a 60 yard drive on the ground, only to go to the air when you get in the red zone.  

Puts us at 5-0 on the season, all running clocks, all shut outs, outscoring our opponents, 229-0.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Won today, 40-0.  We weren't good today, but our opponent was worse.  They had one RB who was pretty good.  He ran for a 5-yard gain on their first play from scrimmage and from there they tried to get fancy.  I guess he'd been used to going 60 on the first play and when he didn't do it here, they immediately went to Panic Mode.  Anyway, no real highlights here: we ran the opening kickoff back for a TD and got called for hitting a defenseless player.  That brought it back.  We ran Power for 10 yards then threw a 50-yard TD pass.  The rest of the day was what we usually see:  team trying to prove to us how bad they are.  Puts us at 6-0 on the season, outscoring the others, 269-0.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: