RSS

Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
August 4, 2020 9:36 am  

Greetings coaches,

For those who might be desperate for any kinda football news... 

Sat. we had our Jamboree…  scrimmaged 3 teams, each team had the ball for 8 minutes.  Going in, we felt we were a bit behind where we usually are going into the Jamboree, due to the late start… we weren’t wrong.

We looked pretty raggedy.  Which was a real disappointment, since we’d looked pretty good in the previous practice.   Mostly, nerves tho,  just gotta get the kids’ butterflies in formation.

Every year at the jamboree, a kid or two will show we’ve got him out of position and need to move him around (sometimes they show more, sometimes less).  This yr, was no exception.  After watching the kids in action, we’re switching our HB and FB, and switching our SE and WB.  QB was accurate on short passes, but – no surprise – we really need to improve our pass pro.  WB showed sticky hands, good blocking, but ran poorly.  SE suddenly showed an extra gear we hadn’t seen before, but struggled catching…    

FB took the 1st play to the house on a belly, but the HB struggled to plant his foot in the dirt and cut up on Buck short.  Big holes were wasted b/c he wouldn't / couldn’t get up field.  So, our FB – our best back - is moving over to take advantage of the better holes, HB is going to FB where its a little more shoulders squared straighter-line running.   

Oline was inconsistent, but these are 8 & 9 yr olds, we expect that in the early part of the season and work through it.  Couple weeks from now, they'll be much better.  

Our LT and LG are both 1st timers in the game, and did one of the funnier things…  on one play the D-Linemen in front of them (we were facing a 6-2), apparently lined up wrong, so they switched places.  So our Tackle and Guard, switched with them.  Hadn’t seen that before.

Defensively, we shut down everything inside and off-tackle, our 5 techs were in the backfield all day.  Our first opponent traditionally is a Smash-mouth - off tackle team, and our kids ate their lunch.   Unfortunately, over the course of the day, our Perimeter play was lacking, granted we defensed the perimeter most of the time pretty well, still... a busted play got the corner, two other times we had the kid tackled and he broke free, and twice our D-ends knifed in for some unfathomable reason and gave up the perimeter.   Take away those 5 plays, no one had positive yardage for the day against us. 

However, to the parents in the stands it looked like we didn't know what we were doing on the edge.  Naturally, every parent had to tell us, we gotta widen out our DE's and why can't we do this, that or the other...   Parents can be pretty panicky - esp. if its their kid who got beat...  but, we'll stay the course and we'll be fine down the road. 

Still, tho, they are right, if we can’t shut down the outside, we’re in trouble.  Most of the league base their offense on getting their fast kids outside.  

Overall, no team was really ready, 2 of the better coached teams looked as bad, or worse, than we did.  The only team that really showed anything has most their team from last yr back, and they didn’t look sharp either.  The late start took a toll on everyone.

Our 1st game is next week, and looking at our own kids….    we can’t trade ‘em, can’t cut ‘em and can’t kill ‘em, so we’re gonna have to coach ‘em up!

This topic was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

jtrent64 liked
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
August 4, 2020 1:09 pm  
Posted by: @coyote

So our Tackle and Guard, switched with them.  Hadn’t seen that before.

I haven't either but I literally laughed out of loud on that one!

I also hear what you're saying about defensive ends. That and "the line ain't blocking nobody" are the two most common complaints I get in the Jamboree. What's funny is that the line actually was blocking, but the back decided that when I said 22, I really meant 28 😉

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
August 5, 2020 10:50 am  
Posted by: @terrypjohnson

the two most common complaints I get in the Jamboree.

After a while, you get to where you can anticipate what folk are gonna say.   

I've got kind of a love / hate thing with the Jamboree...   getting to mix it up with other teams in a limited & controlled scrimmage before the 1st game is helpful, but I'd like it better of the parents weren't there.  Basically, its a fund-raiser for the league, and I remind our coaches, that the fans paid money to see this, so they paid money to voice their opinions as well, don't make it personal - and above all else, don't take it out on their kid.  

"Kids win the games, the coaches lose them".   As the OC, I always and only call the wrong plays.  Its just the nature of the beast...  So, we smile and keep in mind that we're really here for the kids, and if needful, may have to protect the kids from the unrealistic expectations of their own parents. 

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
August 5, 2020 11:14 am  

I have had a couple times where the OL followed the DL player.   Thats not your position Billy.  But Coach, thats the guy I was blocking before!!  

Sometimes you just have to Laugh!  🤣 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
August 5, 2020 7:51 pm  

We have a jamboree every year with each team having 2 weeks of practice , 1 in pads 1 without. 

I set the expectations to the team parents included the beginning of week 2 in practice. The jamboree is a practice and our first live action, the staff is looking to use this as a building block for the season. Every year I go in with 2 offensive plays 1 to each side, 1 run and 1 pass. Everyone plays and we evaluate. Defensively we line in up in our base and just wanna see the kids fly around. 

I really enjoy these events and the kids do too. Just good ole football. Maybe in the future the parents briefing will help your sidelines obtain the same mindset. 

I encourage positive reinforcement at all times especially from the parents , phrases like "cmon" or "where were you" are not acceptible. 

This year I hope we have it and my 9s figure out what there right and left is before hand lol

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
August 6, 2020 1:20 pm  
Posted by: @bucksweep58

aybe in the future the parents briefing will help your sidelines obtain the same mindset. 

We try to cover our objectives with the parents, but when other teams are in track meets against each other, on one outside play after another, where everything tends to be easily seen, and then we come out running off-tackle and things are bit harder to make out...  well, even knowing its just a practice, parents don't often understand why johhny running for team X is looking so good, but my son running for you, is just getting covered in mud.   (it was pretty muddy last sat.)

On the flip side... we sure do look a lot better when we get to that 1st game.  

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
August 7, 2020 12:27 pm  
Posted by: @coyote

aybe in the future the parents briefing will help your sidelines obtain the same mindset. 

We try to cover our objectives with the parents, but when other teams are in track meets against each other, on one outside play after another, where everything tends to be easily seen, and then we come out running off-tackle and things are bit harder to make out...  well, even knowing its just a practice, parents don't often understand why johhny running for team X is looking so good, but my son running for you, is just getting covered in mud.   (it was pretty muddy last sat.)

On the flip side... we sure do look a lot better when we get to that 1st game.  

Understood. 

Guess it's just different for us. My parents are more concerned about the physicallity and the aggression than running down the sidelines. Haha gotta love Eagles fans all they wanna do is fight you and drink beer.  

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
August 7, 2020 1:36 pm  

y parents are more concerned about the physicallity and the aggression than running down the sidelines.

Yep, got momma's here who don't want their kids to get muddy.  

Couple yrs back, it was a mud bowl, I was scouting our up-coming opponent, listened in on two of the opponents mom's sitting just below me (they were actually a fount of useful info).  Its pretty much a black out of the uni's, barely make out the numbers on a lot them, the kids were such a mess... one points out that the other that the ladies' son (a 2 way player) was so clean he glowed out there.   The kid's mom says, "Yeah, he's looking real good, isn't he."    She didn't even realize the 1st lady was being sarcastic.  

This post was modified 2 months ago by Coyote

ReplyQuote
Share: