Just wrapped up reg...

Notifications

Just wrapped up regular season  

RSS

DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze
October 21, 2019 10:53 am  

Finished undefeated, albeit w 2 ties.  Those ties came with our previous 2 games.  I think our guys were getting complacent steamrolling opponents and lost some of that fire.  We had a great week of practice leading up to the division championship against the division leader who was 7-0.  Our boys went in hungry, well informed/prepared.  Film showed us a lot of tendencies for our opponent.  Their DE's always went to the strong side, so weak side typically crashed the B or the C depending on personnel on backside.  Ride the strong end out, crash the weak and see if they make adjustments.  Surprisingly, they did not.  We were able to negate their best defender all night.  Their offense became understood through repetition during the week, and again the opponent didnt adjust.  To be fair, they may thrown everything they had at us.

It didnt matter, I have not seen my boys play to that level all season.  Executing in all facets of the game and maintaining a very high level of aggression until the final whistle.
Couldnt have been prouder

38-0 final, on to the 14u conference championship.

DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze
October 28, 2019 7:57 am  

Conference championship in the books, played a much improved opponent we faced earlier in the season.  Bridgewater came in with 1 loss on the books, to us.  They were missing 2 of their best players that game due to suspension.  They also picked up some strong players from Watchung's 14u team that folded early in the season due to low numbers.  We fully expected a much tougher game from them and we certainly got that.  Just like in our first game they came out punching and scored on us on their first drive.  They showed us slight variations to their standard double tight wing T, nothing our boys hadnt seen or been prepared for but moved down the field and scored in 6 plays.  Sometimes it takes a little bit to wake the boys and getting punched in the mouth on the opening drive seemed to do the trick.  The boys came right back with a drive of their own and we ended the first half tied at 8-8.  Thanks to some very good MPR planning, we entered the 2nd half with only a few players needing to get a couple plays.  Bwater still had close to 9 that needed at least 5.  We put together a couple strong scoring drives and played shut down D, to seal the game and the conference 21-8. 

On to Eastern Regionals, we play winner of Rockland county, no idea who that is yet. but it's a tough road to Disney this year.  No division breakdown in 14u Unlimited.  So small program like ours has to go through the Newarks and Liberty (Aztecs) conferences to get there.  One week at a time though and proud to be moving on with these boys. 

25 kids to start the year, from 5 different towns, 9 that have never played football and 5 that came over from closing programs.  The boys came together well, fed off each other, built each other up and thrived as a unit.  By far, my most gratifying season coaching in my 8 years of youth football.

If anyone has any tidbits on the Rockland winner, love the input!

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze
October 28, 2019 6:30 pm  

Anyone by chance have info or film on Ramapo Spring Valley, cant even find standings or results.  I know teams go dark this time of year but geez.

ReplyQuote
Share: