Notifications
Clear all

Lost in semis!

Coachrich
(@coachrich)
Copper
Topic starter  

Score was 12 to 8.  They scored with 4 minutes left.  We took the ball right down the field but my QB and wing back (my 2 best players) fumbled an exchange at their 20 with a minute to play.
On the surface we did more than we should have.  This team beat us 40-6 week 3. They are a group 5 district that carries a roster of 60+ while we are a 2 with 24 kids.  Each of their other 3age levels will play in the finals while my org has only won one playoff game other than my teams in 5 years.
As their Coach I feel we fell short.  Leading 8 zip in the first half we had 2 drives stall in the red zone. We had big penalties that killed drives and an unsportsmanlike that kept their final drive going.  We SHOULD have won the game.  The kids gave it everything they had so I shoulder the blame.  Second guessing everything I did especially how we lost discipline in our biggest moment which is what we are known for!
Amazing how 9 year old football effects us!
Do most of you feel similarly after the season ends?  Or after 5 months do you experience relief?

For whatsoever your hands find to do, do it with all your might  ECC 9:10

belebuch
(@belebuch)
Diamond

Everyone 2nd guesses themselves after a loss that far into the season, but remember that its also what you did that got you there in the first place.

ReplyQuote
belebuch
(@belebuch)
Diamond

2 yrs ago we went to the Semis, lost by 12 pts to our rival. After the game i had lost faith in our offense and everything we did. I felt our offense was limited and we didnt have answers for what the other team did to us defensively. Then later on i had a parent come up to me saying man ive never seen an offense so explosive as the one you guys ran that yr. then it hit me that we did crush teams, we did move the ball on every team we faced, multiple players scored tds and the team and parents had a blast. So what went wrong in the playoffs?? I didnt call a good game, i didnt get the ball to the hot players, i got away from our main thing too quickly and i didnt formation the defense to open up our plays. It wasnt the system, it wasnt the players, it was me. I let the game get away from me and before i could blink the game was over and we hadnt run our best plays enough or made the defense defend the entire field.

Its a tough pill to swallow, just have to learn from the mistakes and move on.

ReplyQuote
Share: