Notifications

My 2019 Fall Season GM1, GM2, GM3. GM4, GM5, GM6, GM7, GM8  

Page 11 / 11
  RSS

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
October 22, 2019 9:59 am  

Yes, it does.  It looks a LOT like that.

BDJackson got me a little fired up this past weekend over a 3 hour lunch (sorry about that dude) to where I was thinking maybe I'd think about grabbing a whistle next year.

Then I went to his game, and read this thread...and, well, maybe not.

I was having severe flashbacks while reading this.  I was going to make a crack about PTSD but that's way too serious an issue to make light of.  That said - it wasn't a good feeling, honestly.

What I have noticed about this team compared to others....

I do a lot of babysitting off the field. Training this group of parents has been....unique.

Nothing bad or even all that negative....they just have a different mindset. They are all very supportive but require more attention than I am used to. A lot of ....coach I need your advise type stuff.

For example. Young man got a concussion game 3. It was viable. I expected him to miss two weeks. Missed nearly a  month. Just returned excited to play. Why the delay?...Mom was getting shamed by the school Principle and the PTA about allowing him to play football at all.  I am going to try and get a meeting with the principle this off season.

The League? Nothing to get upset about. The Refs? Not horrible. The competition? No complaints.

My Team? I have no answers. We are snake bit. Some force we cant seem to recognize is working against us although we could use some speed. Still...I have always been able to score with no speed. This team isnt scoring.

We should beat this team we are about to play. Dont be surprised is we go 0-8.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
October 22, 2019 10:16 am  

BDJackson got me a little fired up this past weekend over a 3 hour lunch (sorry about that dude) to where I was thinking maybe I'd think about grabbing a whistle next year.

No need to apologize, I felt like I was keeping you to long. lol. After 12 years my wife knows if I am going to talk, to expect me home tomorrow; especially football talk.

Then I went to his game, and read this thread...and, well, maybe not.

And that game wasn't even that bad. We've had previous games where we discussed the rules for 15 minutes 2 snaps in.

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@johnkoester)
Diamond
October 22, 2019 10:23 am  

And that game wasn't even that bad. We've had previous games where we discussed the rules for 15 minutes 2 snaps in.

Ha ha - wasn't really that, was just what it brought back.

When the kids don't give a shit, and the parents either don't give a shit or are actively negative, just creates a huge vortex of suck for your soul.  Add to that some of the mistakes I made, and...well...no.  Not ready to go back.

I will say that if/when I do, it will be different.  Partly as MikeT said - have to keep perspective.  I just burned out.

Truth be told, what I'd really like is for someone to reach out to get me back coaching hoops.  I'm not going to go chasing any coaching gig, but hoops is probably where I should be.

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
October 22, 2019 10:55 am  

Ha ha - wasn't really that, was just what it brought back.

When the kids don't give a shit, and the parents either don't give a shit or are actively negative, just creates a huge vortex of suck for your soul.  Add to that some of the mistakes I made, and...well...no.  Not ready to go back.

I will say that if/when I do, it will be different.  Partly as MikeT said - have to keep perspective.  I just burned out.

Truth be told, what I'd really like is for someone to reach out to get me back coaching hoops.  I'm not going to go chasing any coaching gig, but hoops is probably where I should be.

Hoops is where I'm at and I'm loving it!  If you ever decide to move to Ohio I will let you become my director of boys basketball in my AAU club that I founded.  I've got the girls side up and running nicely and growing each season.  It would be nice to branch off with some boys teams as well someday. 

On a side note: that might be the first time anyone has ever really referenced something I said on here!  Since I'm not a football guy anymore I just figured most people shrugged off the ignorant comments from that roundball coach!  ;D

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
October 22, 2019 10:57 am  

What I have noticed about this team compared to others....

I do a lot of babysitting off the field. Training this group of parents has been....unique.

Nothing bad or even all that negative....they just have a different mindset. They are all very supportive but require more attention than I am used to. A lot of ....coach I need your advise type stuff.

For example. Young man got a concussion game 3. It was viable. I expected him to miss two weeks. Missed nearly a  month. Just returned excited to play. Why the delay?...Mom was getting shamed by the school Principle and the PTA about allowing him to play football at all.  I am going to try and get a meeting with the principle this off season.

The League? Nothing to get upset about. The Refs? Not horrible. The competition? No complaints.

My Team? I have no answers. We are snake bit. Some force we cant seem to recognize is working against us although we could use some speed. Still...I have always been able to score with no speed. This team isnt scoring.

We should beat this team we are about to play. Dont be surprised is we go 0-8.

I feel like the parent training stuff is just part of the process with the little ones, especially if they are going through youth sports for the first time.  I run our girls basketball travel stuff and it's amusing sometimes the questions that the parents of the littles will ask that we just take for granted since we've been doing this stuff for so long.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
October 26, 2019 3:38 pm  

GAME EIGHT

Well....after 100 days....a Jamboree...a couple of scrimmages....and 7 games the kids finally came together and played as a unit.

Very nice team win....19-0 vs a team that worked us pretty good in the Jamboree.

They just came together and got er done. We did nothing special this week as coaches.

Our League started a new playoff structure last season. Not enough teams to make it work in every age group this year so the top 8 in each age group advance to play towards a championship and the rest get to play toward a Toilet Bowl Championship.

So we get at least one bonus game. I'll take it. The kids worked really hard today.

Regualr season stats.....10th seed out of 12....59 PF....238 PA. So you can see how nice it was to get a shutout.  Yes...I was shocked as well. 🙂

1-7 and happy that 800 pound Gorilla is off our back.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
October 28, 2019 3:40 am  

Awesome job Mike.

I'm glad they ended the regular season on a high note. That's really all they will remember is the last game, not really where they finished the season. Its only the parents that will keep reminding them  🙁

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 11
Share: