Clear all

My 2019 Spring Season Games 1-6, GM7, GM8, Championship Bowl Game

Page 2 / 5

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Started practice tonight.

Im thinking we should be OK. Lots or talent on this team. I think what will help our lack of size is all these kids have been weight training as a regiment for nearly a year now and our opponents have not started a HS regiment yet being a year younger. 

I was pretty surprised with a few of them....slimmed down and grew up...a lot.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Obviously way behind on our 2019 Spring Season updates.

We are sitting at 6-0. 191 points for vs 26 points against. We did play one game of 8 man because the other team was short players. That was interesting.

Lar's Defense is just ridiculous. He tapped into a very unique style of coaching them.....just figure it out and do it. I will let him explain.

The A-11 is working fine. Game one was vs the 3 time Defending Champs. We took them down 15-14.

Today we play the only other undefeated team left. We will mathematically play again in 2 weeks for the Championship so today really means nothing except to get a feel of one another.

Rough Season from a League standpoint.  We had one game end in the 4th Q due to multiple ejections from both teams....the Officiating is suspect. In the past it has been quite good. We have never played in this particular Division before...bunch of thug teams. Numbers are way down. I think the League folds in 2 years.

Still...players and the Fans are having a great time. Me? I've had more enjoyable seasons for sure although Lar and I are enjoying the daily experiment. We have 26 players. Attendance is horrible. I think we had 26 at the first practice and that is it. Plus its been a weird season for injures....like.... way too many.

Anyhoo....3 more games and its SUMMER TIME !

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

We did play one game of 8 man because the other team was short players.

The A-8 is working fine.

There.  Fixed it for you.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

7-0, but Really frustrated. Not having much fun. I'll let Mahonz elaborate when he's ready to share. Our beloved game is doomed and the idiots are hell bent on destroying it from within.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Our beloved game is doomed and the idiots are hell bent on destroying it from within.

Oh, there's no doubt about that.  I don't know which is worse; the idiots who want to blow it all up, or the idiots who want to change it to something else.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Oh, there's no doubt about that.  I don't know which is worse; the idiots who want to blow it all up, or the idiots who want to change it to something else.

--Dave

I'm now convinced that both groups of idiots are organized and coordinated. I'm starting to suspect that they are only pretending to be idiots.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

GAME SEVEN

A hard fought affair vs the only other undefeated team.  We win 14-6

But the W isnt why we won.

We just cut our QB, punter, placeholder for the rest of the season. He got ejected for the second time this season and was the culprit for one of the opposing players getting ejected. This young man needs to learn now or he is out of football in a year. Incredibly talented young man attending a HS that is a football machine. He will be cut in a NY minute at the rate he is going. He will be a sophomore. He needs a little humility in his life so we just gave him some.  That is a win for me if it works.  This team is deep....so we wont even miss him. That is the real message.

In all of my years coaching at many different levels too include the Pro ranks....I have ALWAYS found a way to respect my opponent. Not this season. This Division is loaded with pound scum. Players and coaches alike with a Board that is beyond pathetic and the Presidents son plays on this team.

Saturdays game was one of the worst displays of Sportsmanship and Officiating that I can remember. We even had the film guy roll tape well beyond the end of each play when things got iffy... and the handshake line just in case. I even had 2 parents email me apologizing for loosing their shit.

I cant hardly wait for the 23rd when we play this opponent again for the Championship. Not that Im excited for that day....nope. Because I know that will be the last day I have to subject myself to the bullshit.

We play another pond scum team that we shit whipped week two to end the regular season this Saturday and word is we will have the same Officials.

7-0 ! Yippie Ky Yah MF's !  :-[

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

In all of my years coaching at many different levels too include the Pro ranks....I have ALWAYS found a way to respect my opponent. Not this season. This Division is loaded with pound scum. Players and coaches alike with a Board that is beyond pathetic and the Presidents son plays on this team.

Saturdays game was one of the worst displays of Sportsmanship and Officiating that I can remember. We even had the film guy roll tape well beyond the end of each play when things got iffy... and the handshake line just in case. I even had 2 parents email me apologizing for loosing their shit.

Just one more reason (and probably the best) for just shutting it all down.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Just one more reason (and probably the best) for just shutting it all down.

--Dave

Seriously considered it but there are players on this team that have never even sniffed a championship game.

Outside of the few loose cannons....they earned that right to play on by doing right. We just couldn't bring ourselves to do that too them.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Seriously considered it but there are players on this team that have never even sniffed a championship game.

Outside of the few loose cannons....they earned that right to play on by doing right. We just couldn't bring ourselves to do that too them.

Talked about it, though.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I meant after the season.

And I meant, all of us.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

I meant after the season.

And I meant, all of us.

--Dave

We've got a group of little guys who will be 3rd graders in the Fall. We'll see them through 8th grade. Mahonz is planning on hanging it up after that. I'll play it by ear, assuming we make it through 8th grade as a team.

The Spring division we're in seems to have a lot of head hunters.

Week 1: Extremely talented team with some real meat up front. 260lb OT who moves like a FB. I've heard that they are a tournament team, so each player is highly recruited across the extended Denver Metro area. I have no problem with that and I have no problem with tournament teams themselves. It just seems to me that locally, the tournament football scene brings out the worst coaches. When we played them, their HC was away at a coaching clinic. The ACs had zero control over the team and themselves. They moved the ball at will on us in their opening drive and their coaches were letting us hear about it from across the field. After the game, the coaches let us hear about how pathetic we were to play HS kids in an 8th grade league. Anyway, the hallmark of this team were running their mouth and vicious blindside hits. This team probably should have beat us, but they could not go 5 plays without committing a personal foul. We win a close one.

Week 2: HS team from a farming town about an hour outside of Denver. Lot's of talent, aggressive and hard hitting. Absolute dog shit on offense. I think they only crossed midfield once. Had maybe 2 first downs that weren't the result of penalties by us. Lots of late hits, including one on a CB during an INT return on the track. On one play, we threw a 9 route to a smaller receiver. He went up for the ball and their safety head butted him from behind before the ball arrived. They were flagged for that. On another play, our C was looking for someone to block on the 2nd level. He was about in the middle of the field while the ball was moving along the sideline. Rather than try to tackle our player, another safety blind sided our Center, breaking his wrist and ending his season. We win 32-0

Week 3: Played a small team of pure 8th graders. Well coached and disciplined, but just out gunned. Won 22-0. No complaints against that team. However, the officials completely ruined the game for both teams. Absolute crap. F- if anyone ever asks me to grade them, but no one ever will.

Week 4: Played just a terrible team. Maybe the worst coached team I've ever seen. 14 on their roster and all but one were OL/DL sized. HUGE, but slow. Mahonz was out that game because his family was in town and we all went skiing/snowboarding. He arrived at half time as a spectator. Despite our best efforts to keep the score down, we won 62-0. I thought both teams' players, staff and spectators were well behaved. However, our arbitrary sportsmanship grade for that game were Players: B Spectators: B Coaches: C Overall: D.  I had a 30 minute argument with the league pres about how a B, B, C averages to a D. His answer was "You'd be surprised how far your average will drop if you get one 'C'".  No gripe against the opponent other than the coaching staff is hopeless. Since it was a mercy, by rule, the opposing coach was allowed to pick 3 of our players who had to remove their pads and were done for the game. This was right before the 2nd quarter. One of the kids he picked had family and friends in town to see him play. This would contribute heavily to my downward spiral into insanity that I will describe later. It got back to me that one of the contributing factors to the coaching staff getting a "C" was me asking the side judge and white hat to flag us if we recover a kick off and give the ball to the other team. I explained to them that we want to keep the score down and if we kick it deep, they will go 4 and out inside the 20. I further explained that we will kick short, but gave instructions to our players not to recover anything. I simply asked that if we had a brain fart and recovered, that they invent a penalty and give the ball to our opponent at midfield. They took this to mean I was trying to run up the score.

Week 5: Sad sack, "woe is me" HC. He approached us several times prior to our game with him lamenting his situation and the general unfairness of life. He had a girl on his team who was supposed to play for us. We would not guarantee her the QB position, so Dad took her to this clown who was happy to "give" the position away. I later explained to Mahonz that the first team I coached on had this "victim" mentality where the coaches spend all week telling his players how unfair it is that they have to play a really good team. So the team goes into the game with a feeling of hopelessness. Some of the more competitive kids on the team often go into the game with a "if you can't beat them, hurt them" mentality. I think that was the case here. Trash talk, late hits, blind side hits, head slaps, extra-curricular BS, etc. They had 2 ejected to our 1. The QB/Punter/Holder that we just dismissed. The head scratcher for this team were the several blind side hits while WE were running long TDs. Why do you blind side one of our players instead of tackling our BC? Anyway, that coach quit early in the 4th quarter. This is bad because we had back to back games scheduled against this team.

At this point, I'm going to own up to 2 bonehead moves on my part. HUGE mistakes that I'm fully aware of. First, the week 5 coach successfully petitioned the league (he spends more energy on stuff like this than coaching his team) to cancel the 2nd of our back to back games. I campaigned hard to get that game back on because we needed our QB for the week 7 game vs an undefeated team. I got them to agree to an 8 man game, where the 3 suspended players could serve their penance. This was a complete character failure on my part. I can't explain it, other than putting the desire for an undefeated season ahead of what's best for the team and the suspended player. I protected our QB from his consequences and it would come back to bite us in the ass. I'm really ashamed of myself over this one and hopefully I learned from it.

The second huge mistake . . . I let myself get really sensitive over the "running up the score" issue that largely came from a former parent who happens to be a well established and respected referee telling me that I have "lost track of what the game is about". I stewed on that for over a year and decided to be a "kinder, gentler" coach going forward. So getting a "D" after trying to keep the score down in week 4, along with finding out one of my players had family/friends in town, only to be pulled from a game . . . well it pissed me off. So I came up with an idea to keep the game out of mercy. I called it the "travesty" call. If diving on the ground to let the other team score, taking a knee, or punting on 1st down is your thing . . that's cool. It's not my thing. With Mahonz' and the HC's permission, I instructed the team that if we were one score away from mercy, we would call time out and call "travesty". This means that if any of our players is about to score, they are to throw the ball out of the back of the endzone from the 5 yard line. Turnover and touch back for the losing team. Everybody wins, everybody is happy, except the officials and the league who hopefully will see how stupid mercy rules are. Fortunately, we never did this because the week 5 game had devolved into "Mad Max". After that debacle, I took stock of myself and remembered that if you are successful, someone is going to have a problem with you no matter what you do. The only people I owe anything to are our players my fellow coaches. I apologized to the team and other coaches for forgetting who I am and who we are. From now on, we do our thing.

Week 6: 8 man game vs Week 5 opponent. Well behaved for the most part, except for 1 kid. Opponent would drive the ball down the field, or at least move the ball on us, then put the girl in to throw up a duck. I think we picked her off 5 times, twice for TDs. During a long INT return, #31 on their team from the WR position was running down the field to pursue the returner. Along the way, he saw our only big guy at 220lbs and ran a wide path around him. He then made a bee line to a smaller player, 5'5, 150lb NT and blind sided him, knocking him horizontal onto his head. Concussion. Kid missed the last game and we're not sure about this week. #31 was the "head slapper" from week 5 (think Deacon Jones), so I went to film to see what other shenanigans he got up to. #31 did not do a damn thing that entire game except to blind side a DT during an INT return. Another case of trying (and succeeding) to hurt someone instead of tackling a BC. The entire game, not one block, not one tackle. He had one 3 yard reception, but other than that . . .nada.

Week 7: The other undefeated team that Mahonz described. Complete garbage. Punches, extra curricular, blind side hits that put one player out of the game, illegal Freshman, kicking/head stomp, and my all time favorite, repeatedly and successfully mimicking our snap count. Sadly, we don't get the moral high ground because our QB was ejected again for the 2nd straight game that he played in. Remember how I campaigned to get a meaningless game where he could serve his suspension? Yeah, well Karma pimp slapped me pretty hard on that one. We debated what to do with him. Every other coach was strongly in favor of dismissing him. His dad is our OC, BTW. On the play where he was ejected, the white hat said he threw a punch. We all watched that play a hundred times on HUDL. He was playing LB and threw a blocker to the ground at the end of a play, but before the whistle. He was suddenly surrounded by about 5 opponents pushing and shoving him. He thew his hands up in the "I didn't do anything" gesture. I argued on his behalf that he never threw a punch and that these trash refs are not to be trusted. While I still feel I was right on that point, another coach directed us to look at the clip where an opponent was ejected for having a temper tantrum. The opponent was pissed because our QB "up kicked" him from his back at the end of a play right in front of the white hat and wanted a call. We could all see the kick and I changed my vote to dismiss our QB.

It's been therapeutic to write this down and in doing so, I'm realizing that I've brought all of my problems this season on myself. I just wonder where the respect has gone. Our Spring league brings out the worst coaches.These are normally ACs or even Dads during the Fall who come into this with an offense in mind. Defense is an after thought and nothing else is even addressed, other than the obligatory "hit somebody" and "nobody walks on my field" BS. Fall should be much better. It has to be or why would I want to be part of a sport that behaves like this? Mahonz sent an email to the parents (including the league pres) explaining his thoughts. I replied to everyone announcing that after this season, I will no longer coach Spring football unless another league comes along, or the leadership of this league is replaced. I really threw the league pres under the bus and exposed his dirty laundry. No response. Not one peep. The "man" is a coward and a scoundrel.

Thanks for listening.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Absolutely epic post.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Rather than try to tackle our player, another safety blind sided our Center, breaking his wrist and ending his season.

Absolute horsecrap football.  As cheap as it gets.  And you know that I am maniacal about aggression, but my defense is taught to not make contact with anyone other than the ball-carrier.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Since it was a mercy, by rule, the opposing coach was allowed to pick 3 of our players who had to remove their pads and were done for the game.

Then you can't complain about who they choose.  One of the stupidest rules I've ever heard of, for precisely the reason you mention.  The stupidity of those "in charge" is overwhelming.  I've got to find something else to do.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5
Share: