Notifications

My 2020 Fall Season- GM1, GM2, GM3, GM4  

Page 1 / 4
  RSS

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 4, 2020 11:00 pm  

Off to a nice start. We abused our opponent 33-6 and won the mojo score 4-0. This opponent was done by halftime. Our Defense was stifling. I think my pre season plan worked. Go heavy practicing D and light on O. Why? That is the opposite of what most youth teams do. Offense is sexy so a ton of time goes into their Offense. So game one its our D vs their O and our O needs to simply scratch out a few scores vs an under prepared D.  They had no answer vs a rather well oiled Defense. We just ran Beast the first half and mowed them down. Hardly practiced any Beast. Then ran our Wild Bunch the second half that took the bulk of our pre season time given for Offense.

Beast is so stooopid simple and quite effective.  

My first COVID game seemed normal for me outside of suffocating in a mask on a really hot day. 

Kids played well and got their first ever season opening win. Not a great opponent but I will take it. I need to teach these kids how to win. That is all that matters this year....get used to that feeling so when things return back to normal after the Election....we are good to go in 2021. 

1-0. 😎 

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by mahonz
This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by mahonz
This topic was modified 1 week ago by mahonz
This topic was modified 22 hours ago by mahonz

What is beautiful, lives forever.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 5, 2020 1:20 am  
Posted by: @mahonz

We abused our opponent 33-6 and won the mojo score 4-0.

--You put 4 of theirs out?

This opponent was done by halftime.

--I'm betting it didn't take even that long.

--Yes, it is.

My first COVID game seemed normal for me outside of suffocating in a mask on a really hot day. 

--Can your players even hear you?  

I need to teach these kids how to win.

--Sounds like you taught them their first lesson.

--Dave 

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 5, 2020 3:54 pm  

My take:

I told the team in pre-game that Game 1 is always a hot pile of garbage and we felt confident going in that we would be less of a pile of garbage than the opponent. That turned out to be accurate. 4 of our 8 coaches have a ton of experience that translates in how to minimize the chaos in the 1st game. As a staff, we were still a mess, though. What I didn't anticipate was my "favorite" white hat ramping the garbage level up to 11. If not for him, I think it would have been 83-6.

We have a long, sad history with this ref. Every year, when I see him for the first time, I think, "Maybe he won't be so bad this year." Every year he finds a way to be worse.

I'm happy that we won and I'm happy that we won in convincing fashion. Talent was about equal. They had 2 "dudes" on offense, we had 2 "dudes" on offense. They had bigs, we had bigs. They had kids who need some work, we had kids who need some work. I'm not overly excited because this team's adjustment to Beast is among the worst I have ever seen, and I've seen many.

Best moment of the day:  I overheard a rookie tell a teammate, "I love this season." I replied, "I thought you never played football before." His reply, "I played flag and this is SO much more fun."

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 5, 2020 5:43 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

We abused our opponent 33-6 and won the mojo score 4-0.

This opponent was done by halftime.

--I'm betting it didn't take even that long.

--Yes, it is.

--Can your players even hear you?  

I need to teach these kids how to win.

--Sounds like you taught them their first lesson.

--Dave 

They started dropping like flies late in the game. Maybe they gave up? Maybe they were MP's? Maybe it was just too friggin hot?  Lots of game stoppages for player assistance. 

I'd pull my mask down if I needed to communicate. I probably should not be doing that. At practice I have to just to blow a whistle. 

It was a happy bunch afterwards. The last two seasons we opened up against the best team in the League. I think we lost 200-0 last year. Got a break this year....we play them week 4. 

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by mahonz

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 5, 2020 10:36 pm  

I'd pull my mask down if I needed to communicate. I probably should not be doing that. 

--I don't know how else they'd hear you.  

It was a happy bunch afterwards. The last two seasons we opened up against the best team in the League. I think we lost 200-0 last year. Got a break this year....we play them week 4. 

--Good job.  Another 3 weeks to prepare.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 5, 2020 11:57 pm  

If a player lays down on the field and a coach has to come get him, the other team gets a point. We take the Mojo score as serious as the real score. It's not about putting an opponent out of the game as much as having the pride of dragging your carcass off the field if you are hurt. It's not like we're "happy" when we get a Mojo point. It's more like we're indifferent to it. On one Mojo point, our entire offense took a knee and were within 5 yards of the casualty. That bothered me because I don't want us to give that kind of attention. We'd just scored, so I told them to come to the sideline. I'm not a fan of taking a knee unless the player is seriously hurt. How do we know if they are seriously hurt or not? Okay, I'd say that 1 in 1000 "coach/nurse visits" is a serious injury. So if we treat them all like "boo boos", then we are 99.9% accurate. Apologies to that 1 kid in 1000.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 6, 2020 9:26 am  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

If a player lays down on the field and a coach has to come get him, the other team gets a point.

--I kept stats for a lot of things of the years, but never for that.  I wish I had.

It's not like we're "happy" when we get a Mojo point. It's more like we're indifferent to it.

--Oh, I get it.  "Business as usual."

How do we know if they are seriously hurt or not?

--You don't.  And I really never understood the concept of taking a knee for an injured player.  I mean, if taking a knee for the National Anthem is considered disrespectful, then I'd think that this is much the same.  I just bring them to the sideline to get more coaching time with them and water them down.  Speaking of water, how do you guys do this during a timeout?  Does each player on the field suddenly start rooting around on the sideline looking for his water bottle?  Or do you take each player's bottle to him out there on the field?  I swear I'd be a lousy COVID-era coach...

Okay, I'd say that 1 in 1000 "coach/nurse visits" is a serious injury. So if we treat them all like "boo boos", then we are 99.9% accurate. Apologies to that 1 kid in 1000.

--No need to apologize.  Some kids are hurt, some have simply quit, while others are just drama-queens.  Kneeling for a serious injury certainly isn't going to help him or heal him.  I hated playing against teams that hadn't been taught how to be tough.  Their coach has done them a real disservice.

--Dave  

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 6, 2020 9:45 am  

--I kept stats for a lot of things of the years, but never for that.  I wish I had.

A typical season for us is 30 or more to 2 or 3.

--Oh, I get it.  "Business as usual."

Exactly. I teach that the difference between injured in hurt is that the former means you can't return. The latter means you don't want to return. So we are not celebrating an injury, we are acknowledging that we made you not want to play, whether it's for 1 play or 20 plays.  If I notice the "hurt" player return to the game, I always point that out to the players on the sideline. We take pride that the opponent can't make us not want to play.

Speaking of water, how do you guys do this during a timeout?  Does each player on the field suddenly start rooting around on the sideline looking for his water bottle?  Or do you take each player's bottle to him out there on the field?  I swear I'd be a lousy COVID-era coach...

Mahonz has a yard sprayer. Of our coaches goes on the field and sprays water in their mouth.

--No need to apologize.  Some kids are hurt, some have simply quit, while others are just drama-queens.  Kneeling for a serious injury certainly isn't going to help him or heal him.  I hated playing against teams that hadn't been taught how to be tough.  Their coach has done them a real disservice.

I think it's been 9 seasons since we started keeping Mojo score. We have only lost 1 game where we won the Mojo score and that was last year. We demolished them 15-0 in Mojo, but lost the game 13-12. 

--Dave  

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 6, 2020 11:59 am  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Mahonz has a yard sprayer. Of our coaches goes on the field and sprays water in their mouth.

Whoa.  Now that is genius.  Thank you!

--Dave  

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 12, 2020 6:18 pm  

GAME TWO

Cruised along today nicely vs what could end up being the worst team in our Division with Coach Gumbys favorite Ref at the helm. 

Seems like we got flagged for a 1000 yards....lost 3 scores....wasted 30 minutes listening to Doofus Magoo explain his ridiculous calls...to both benches. 

Still won easily. 

Play time is over. Murders Row awaits. 

Lots of work to do. 

D is playing lights out....getting close to a swarming machine. O put in some nice looking toss sweeps this week that worked well. Our Counters started to hit after Coach Gumby fiddled with the design this week. We are a terrible passing team. We ran Beast backwards half the time. We never practice it....we need to start. Had to deal with snow this week so a shortened schedule.  We block well. We tackle well. Coaches are finding their grooves. 

ZERO COVID compliance regulations going on at this facility....which is fine. A road game for us. Must be MAGA Country. I need to move back to this area. Gumbys neighborhood. 

2-0 😎 

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by mahonz

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 12, 2020 7:25 pm  

2 years ago in 2nd grade, we had a player whose sole jobs was to line up on the C and try to swat the ball away as he snapped. Got pretty good at it, too.

Last year, I got him going a little at D-line, but he played a lot at receiver. Dude cried a lot.

This year he's a starting OLB (force defender) and is playing better and with more consistency than anyone I've ever coached at the position. Today, he got a QB sack for a safety and was awarded the defensive Crunch (substitute) bar. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 19, 2020 3:26 pm  

GAME THREE

Played a top shelf team today. Im changing the name of our team to the Bed Wetters. 

For years this team has practiced well and then shits all over themselves vs a physical opponent. This was my challenge to them this week since they were the number in scoring Offense and the number 1 stingiest Defense... of 12 teams. 

Show up....play hard.....be physical. 

I think we lost 200-0. 

Today was an embarrassment for me as a Head Coach. We are poorly organized and unprepared. Its just that simple. Way too much talent on this Staff for this crap. We are not a Staff....we are 6 Independent Contractors. Completely my fault. Meeting on Monday to gets things right. 

2-1 and play the Defending Champs this week. Oh joy. 

Here is some film from today.

This post was modified 1 week ago 7 times by mahonz

ReplyQuote
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper
September 20, 2020 10:13 am  

Losing big sucks. How are you gonna fix the coaching staff?

You have 6 coaches for a 4th grade team? I bet you have coaches standing around all the time.

We are in 7th grade with 22 players and we are running with 4 coaches including myself. It is a lot of work but we bust our asses. The boys see our effort and match it at practice. They tend to slack off if you have coaches standing around spitting seeds talking about the good old days lol.

We played a team with 8 coaches yesterday lol. The whole time they were arguing with eachother. They couldnt get on the same page about anything. I felt bad for their players because they have some studs and should be way better than they are. Outcome of the game was 43-0. 

Im sure you guys will work it out. Starts with the coaching staff.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 20, 2020 11:51 pm  
Posted by: @g8trs

Losing big sucks. How are you gonna fix the coaching staff?

You have 6 coaches for a 4th grade team? I bet you have coaches standing around all the time.

We are in 7th grade with 22 players and we are running with 4 coaches including myself. It is a lot of work but we bust our asses. The boys see our effort and match it at practice. They tend to slack off if you have coaches standing around spitting seeds talking about the good old days lol.

We played a team with 8 coaches yesterday lol. The whole time they were arguing with eachother. They couldnt get on the same page about anything. I felt bad for their players because they have some studs and should be way better than they are. Outcome of the game was 43-0. 

Im sure you guys will work it out. Starts with the coaching staff.

Really hard working Staff. No problem there at all. 3 of us have coached together for many years. All 6 of us are in our 3rd year. 

My mistake was not having any pre season coaches meetings because we didn't know if we were playing until the last minute. WE have a new Offense and a new Defense so I pretty much left my OC and DC flapping in the wind when things got real last Saturday. The first two weeks were play time vs bad opponents....but we still carried on. 

All the basics are there but its all been independently taught for the most part. I run around and trouble shoot but no one really went into the season fully ready. . We all just need to take a step back and refocus. Sideline communication isnt there. We should probably be yelling at one another more !  I FULLY trust these guys. 

I dont not trust my players. That....is the real mystery. 

ReplyQuote
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper
September 21, 2020 9:46 am  

Covid has been a challenge. We were fortunate to play Flex football so our staff was already clicking. Those pre season coaches meeting are really important.

Get that train rolling again. I loved game film you posted lol. Cant get any worse than that 😂

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: