Page 3 / 4
  RSS

G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper
September 23, 2020 10:06 am  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co
Posted by: @g8trs

Maybe you have some old school smash mouth type kids that wanna play mean. Im just saying maybe mega splits don't fit the kids you have.

I have new school "right now kids" who wanna catch passes, line up at WR, play LB, play grab or anything else to scratch that itch. They are still the best o-line in the league, but that says more about our league than our play.

I think that describes most 9 year olds lol. It isn't hard to have the best line in the league. Most coaches neglect to coach them up.

We also have a hammer award. The players vote for the most aggressive player after each game. The Hammer gets to run through the banner on game day holding the hammer. They also write their name on it and the player who earns it the most throughout the season gets to keep it. We found a foam sledge hammer online from a Halloween party store. I was also worried about someone getting hurt.

The boys want that hammer so bad they destroy our opponents. Its amazing what they will do for some recognition from their peers and a foam hammer.

Lineman Problems is an awesome website. We purchased a custom Green and Blue Pancake Platoon flag from them. The most outstanding lineman gets to run through the banner carrying the flag. 

Hmm. I like the writing of names and who earns it most keeps it. I don't like the foam hammer. I do like the flag, but not the pancakes on the flag.

The Hammer award is a great way to recognize the guys that are playing hard and physical. If you guys dont encourage pancakes it probable doesn't make sense. Do you guys have a team flag? Maybe let the best lineman run onto the field with it. Our game MVP runs through the banner with our Gator flag.

Covid Shmovid. You want your lineman to feel special? You gotta go out of your way everyday. The easiest way to do this is to run a scheme that relies heavily on line play. Our line knows we are nothing in the DW without them. 

Told you I didn't want to make excuses.  Covid because I missed the first 3 weeks of the season because I was planning on hiding until the pandemic is over. Our scheme depends entirely on our o-line play. It doesn't matter what blocking scheme you run. If lineman does not use the techniques that you taught them that are specific to your scheme, that player will fail, your line will fail, your scheme will fail and your offense will fail.

I just really wanted to say Covid Shmovid lol. I forgot you joined the team late. 

I disagree. It does matter what blocking scheme and techniques you teach. Some make more sense for 9 year olds than others. 

We had a meeting of the minds last night and identified some areas that we coaches have been failing at. We have a plan to fix that. 

Sounds good. Good luck this week. Get your boys ready to pull off an upset. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 23, 2020 11:45 am  

I have new school "right now kids" who wanna catch passes, line up at WR, play LB, play grab or anything else to scratch that itch. They are still the best o-line in the league, but that says more about our league than our play.

--Kids are like that pretty much anywhere and everywhere, nowadays.  But in the end, the kids absorb the mantra/philosophy of the coaching staff.  It may be harder in some areas than others, but it's still true.  I've recounted numerous times when I coached at GHHS ("The richest parking lot in the nation" was how one magazine summed up the student's cars: Mercedes, Range Rovers and Teslas).  The majority of my experience had been in Durham and at CHS (a blue-collar school).  I was used to rough & tumble and coach that way.  My (pre-existing) coaching staff at GHHS was horrified that we should actually take players to the ground in tackling drills and spend time on "Whose Ball" and full-contact.  We were AirRaid, but our toughness allowed us an 8-1 record, despite trailing in 7 of our 9 games.  In addition, we had a 31-16 lead in takeaway/giveaways.   Kids want to do what they see featured on TV.  The kids at GHHS and even in CHS and Durham are no different, in that regard.  I had to make them want to be different.  Not easy, but was essential if I was going to succeed.  But you have to either be the HEADER, or have a staff that completely buys in.  At GHHS, I was the header.  

Covid because I missed the first 3 weeks of the season

--Heck, I need at least 3 weeks of PRE-SEASON to get the players to understand/accept/excel in our philosophy.  And I've come to teams late in the season, on more than one occasion.  It's really tough.  And has been next to impossible for me to get all that I demand when arriving late.  Not saying that it can't be done.  I'm saying that if I had missed the first 3 weeks of the season, I think the train has already left the station.  But good luck with it.  That would be too frustrating for me.  It's more of a challenge and takes much longer to implement a philosophy than it does X&Os.

Our scheme depends entirely on our o-line play.

--Anyone's does, if you're going to be successful.

It doesn't matter what blocking scheme you run. If lineman does not use the techniques that you taught them that are specific to your scheme, that player will fail, your line will fail, your scheme will fail and your offense will fail.

--100% True.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 23, 2020 11:52 am  

I disagree. It does matter what blocking scheme and techniques you teach. Some make more sense for 9 year olds than others.

g8trs, I don't think Lar means, "It doesn't matter what blocking scheme" you run.  I think he's saying if the players don't use the techniques they're taught, the blocking scheme won't matter because they won't be successful.

It's like when I say, "If you can't block and tackle, it doesn't matter what scheme you run, you won't be successful.  If you can block and tackle, it doesn't matter what scheme you run, you will be successful."  

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 23, 2020 12:50 pm  

@coachdp

Of course.  If DP was coaching DTDW with zero splits and X-man blocking, but one kid preferred to use his hands . . . it wouldn't work. He wouldn't change his blocking scheme and techniques to suit the personality or preference of his players any more than I would tighten my splits and demand pancake blocks because that is what my players prefer.

I'm not in the business of selling mega splits anymore. They work for us. Very well. The two kids trying (and failing) to knock the snot out of their man learned our method in 2nd grade and excelled. One went away for 3rd grade and is back.  It's a never ending fight to coach bad habits out of a player, especially when the bad habit works. We played 2 "sisters of the poor" teams to open the season. I could put out a highlight real of our big boys ABUSING the guy in front of them. It was utter and complete physical dominance for the entire game. Their guys were giving up 30+ pounds to our guys in that game, or the other guy was a big softy. Last Saturday, they went up against their physical equals (theirs were actually a bit bigger) and tried to do the same thing. The result was what I call "popcorn blocks". One quick "pop" and the defender is off and doing their thing. This is very bad for mega splits. The rule on our line is that if you get beat once, okay. Check your stance, posture and effort level. Twice, try something else. We have 3-4 tools in our toolbox to counter different things. 3 times . . . you better ask me for help. These two went about most of the game "popcorning" their guy to very limited success. Making things worse, when "their guy" moved, they still went after them in some kind of stupid grudge match. So now, you're doing someone else's job. Who is doing yours? Point is, trying and failing to pancake your guy in mega splits is VERY bad. 

Despite that, I'd still grade the o-line at a C+. They were good enough for us to be effective. The main problem was our backs deciding to bounce everything to the sideline despite a serious speed advantage. Worked against "sisters of the poor". Didn't work against our last opponent. It's being addressed starting tonight.

Bottom line is . . .you can either pancake a guy . . . or you can't. If you're the kind of coach who can get ANY o-lineman to consistently pancake ANY d-lineman, then you're a much better coach than me. You can sum up our entire philosophy with "stay on your block". Your job is to be on your man when the whistle blows. If you are on your man and he makes the tackle . . . you did your job. If we score a TD and you are not on your man . . . you did not do your job. We are VERY good at staying in front of defensive players. We just aren't as consistent as I'd like us to be. Working on it, starting by winning back their hearts and minds.

I cut my coaching teeth on foot to foot, pad level, shoulder blocking that took advantage of double teams, triple teams, angles and "all of the above". I got quite good at it. I prefer mega splits. I feel like I'm better at coaching it and I believe it gives us an advantage against most defenses. There's nothing easy about either approach. Each approach comes with their own unique challenges. Each has taboos that can't be broken.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 23, 2020 1:12 pm  

@gumby_in_co

Interesting...but it raises some questions for me...

Why wouldn't we adjust our schemes/techniques to account for the player?

We are a pistol spread team...we use zone concepts...I feel like (I will know more this weekend) that our oline is going to be bigger than the boys they are trying to block...and we still use angles, we recess the heck out of our line to get those angles...

That said, we know our personnel...my Center is small and slow...not a great combination for an olineman 😛 however, we can tweak our schemes to account for his physical limitations...stretch blocking as an example...could he reach a 2 tech...maybe...if the 2 tech was as slow as he is...could he reach a 3 tech...no, and that is a hard block for even an athletic Center...could he get to the 2nd level? Yes...would it be effective? again, no he is to slow...

So I could just grunt and groan and hoot and holler and get upset that he is not doing what my scheme calls for...or I can tweak...

For example, we could ask him to fold back on the backside 2 or 3 tech...can he make those blocks? Yes, because play flow should have that back side DT coming right towards him...like the two trains in the algebra problems...bring the Guard underneath him for that 0, almost like a trap or cross block, except we are going to reach the 0 with the Guard.

Or, we could ask him to execute an influence block...open his hips, showing that zero tech what he wants to see, an apparent open run on the back field, and once he steps across, you light him up. Guard is still coming underneath, but now instead of getting him on the 0, we can send him up to the second level...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 23, 2020 1:41 pm  

@spidermac

On a granular level, yes. We do it all the time, especially with our C. 

On a larger scale . . . tried it. We figured mega splits was too much for 2nd graders, so we went foot to foot. I even shoulder blocked and played around with double teams. In our first 3 games, I think we had maybe a handful of first downs. Things were looking bad, so we said "f-it" and went back to mega against a team that should have destroyed us. I think we lost 45-55. 

What we look for is one of those "I know it when I see it" things. I've been trying hard to define and quantify it so I can measure it and report on it. Been working on my mega splits book for 2 years now. So mega splits is non-negotiable, especially with a group that I personally seen execute it at a high level.

Again, we are "good" as a unit, but against some of our opponents, we must be exceptional. That's what we are all striving for.

ReplyQuote
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper
September 25, 2020 10:12 am  
Posted by: @coachdp

g8trs, I don't think Lar means, "It doesn't matter what blocking scheme" you run.  I think he's saying if the players don't use the techniques they're taught, the blocking scheme won't matter because they won't be successful.

It's like when I say, "If you can't block and tackle, it doesn't matter what scheme you run, you won't be successful.  If you can block and tackle, it doesn't matter what scheme you run, you will be successful."  

OK. That makes sense. 

ReplyQuote
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper
September 25, 2020 10:23 am  

@spidermac

On a granular level, yes. We do it all the time, especially with our C. 

On a larger scale . . . tried it. We figured mega splits was too much for 2nd graders, so we went foot to foot. I even shoulder blocked and played around with double teams. In our first 3 games, I think we had maybe a handful of first downs. Things were looking bad, so we said "f-it" and went back to mega against a team that should have destroyed us. I think we lost 45-55. 

What we look for is one of those "I know it when I see it" things. I've been trying hard to define and quantify it so I can measure it and report on it. Been working on my mega splits book for 2 years now. So mega splits is non-negotiable, especially with a group that I personally seen execute it at a high level.

Again, we are "good" as a unit, but against some of our opponents, we must be exceptional. That's what we are all striving for.

I agree with Lar. Small adjustments to your scheme to fit your players is necessary. But you have to stick with the schemes you are comfortable with and have the knowledge to teach. Maybe this is why our lineman hated the Air Raid. I sucked at teaching the concepts. 

Let me know when that Mega Split book is complete. I would love to check it out and learn something knew. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 25, 2020 12:39 pm  

@g8trs

Update:

Grabbed another AC to help me on the o-line. He had them eating out of his hand right away. He is the wedge master. I will share his "move the apex" concept once I learn it.

Introduced the Hammer. 3lb engineer's hammer spray painted gold. Explained what the hammer means, how to earn it, perks, etc. Player who wins it the most gets to keep it.

Introduced a new drill that is fast paced and competitive. Coaches are limited to 2 word phrases to correct.

Introduced "call outs". Players can call out a teammate to go 1:1. Winner gets a point. We do this with a physical challenge or a knowledge challenge. Points leaders on Friday get a prize. One for physical, one for knowledge. The knowledge challenge has already bore fruit and is showing great promise. Example: we struggled with everyone understanding and/or remembering what they do on a "Ricky" (pull) call. One of our players challenged a buddy, "what do we do on Ricky?" Kid he challenged didn't know. One of our guys who struggled to remember raised his hand. His answer was wrong, but he was engaged. For his benefit, I put together a quick o-line and called "Ricky! Identify!". The T pointed to the sideline. I asked my player, "where's he going?" Player pointed. I told the T to step out as a pull, leaving a big gap. I asked my player, "Do you see a problem?". His eyes lit up. "Oh, I get it!"

Turned the over to the other o-line coach to work wedge. They struggled at first and did NOT want to get into proper fits, but we challenged them to stay together as long as they could. When they went 4 yards, we celebrated and made a big deal out of it. I told them that a team who can wedge for 4 yards will break their opponents' hearts. Then I threw my hat out 10 yards and asked, "Think we can go for 10?" Given a challenge, the focus was there, the effort was there, they were communicating, and we were all ecstatic when they made the 10 yards.

And I started giving out candy to the Regulators after breakdown. Ring pops and Air Heads.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 25, 2020 12:53 pm  

He is the wedge master. I will share his "move the apex" concept once I learn it.

--Please do.

Coaches are limited to 2 word phrases to correct.

--What a great idea!  You are starting to get close to O'Gorman territory.

Then I threw my hat out 10 yards and asked, "Think we can go for 10?"

--Sheesh, Lar.  That's how you mess up a perfectly good hat.

And I started giving out candy to the Regulators after breakdown. Ring pops and Air Heads.

--Okay, I have no idea what you just said there.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
COCoachKC
(@cocoachkc)
Bronze
Colorado
Retired
September 25, 2020 1:50 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

Then I threw my hat out 10 yards and asked, "Think we can go for 10?"

--Sheesh, Lar.  That's how you mess up a perfectly good hat.

And in my case a nasty sunburn on my dome!

Funny story:  When Lar and I were coaching, we were about 1/2 way through the season when while demonstrating something, my hat got knocked off.  One of the kids (Clayton) shouted, "Coach, you're bald!"  Told him, "Yeah, I know."  The look on most of the boys' faces was priceless.  I do miss those moments.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 25, 2020 2:30 pm  
Posted by: @cocoachkc

And in my case a nasty sunburn on my dome!

Funny story:  When Lar and I were coaching, we were about 1/2 way through the season when while demonstrating something, my hat got knocked off.  One of the kids (Clayton) shouted, "Coach, you're bald!"  Told him, "Yeah, I know."  The look on most of the boys' faces was priceless.  I do miss those moments.

The funny thing is that I was just as surprised as Clayton. 🤣 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 26, 2020 8:52 pm  

GAME FOUR

Losing never felt so good. Played the 2 time and yet to be defeated Defending Champs today. This opponent is loaded with talent and plays hard. Not big....very skilled.  

We lose 39-0. 

Two ridiculous turnovers on ST's and a pick six. Take those 3 plays away and we are hanging with the big boys.

We graduated today. Finally. Won the Mojo score 2-1....and this opponent is VICIOUS. What is most amazing to me is we were missing 3 top shelf players today and we have no depth. Lots of positives to build upon. 

2-2. Next up is a team we will chit whip then another tough one. The progression continues. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 26, 2020 10:32 pm  

@mahonz

39-0 is very significant. In our league, the biggest differential they will post is 40 points. You see a lot of 40-0 scores that could very well be 140-0.  I know that there are many teams who will see our 39-0 score and pucker a little.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 26, 2020 11:44 pm  

@mahonz

39-0 is very significant. In our league, the biggest differential they will post is 40 points. You see a lot of 40-0 scores that could very well be 140-0.  I know that there are many teams who will see our 39-0 score and pucker a little.

Hmmmm...I didnt consider that part. Big step for this team today. Thanks for all of your hard work !

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: