Notifications
Clear all

My Fall 2016 Season - PS, GM1, GM2, GM3, GM4, GM5, GM6, GM7, GM8, R1

Page 4 / 5

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Dude, I think there is a TON of noise in your little system of figuring out what works and what doesn't.

If you play a game at night and it's dark, I'm guessing you'll switch to the other jerseys for the next game to see if it makes the sun stay up.  If that next game is in the afternoon, I'm sure you'll be positive it worked.

Not even close.  8)

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Nah, man. We just lost focus. We got too technical. The worst we played, the more we went back and nit picked. It did not matter what we ran last night. It was a HUGE learning moment for me. Wind them up and let them go.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
HCScott
(@herb-scott)
Bronze

Last Regular Season game.

Im pretty amp'd. Played a team that came in 5-2 and playing really well.

We ripped their flippin' faces off. Best Mojo game in two years.

Had to call Gumby after the game and ask him What the What just happened. Got to know their Header over the last year. Good man. Lots of support for my son this past off season. Afterwards he was shell shocked.

Won 32-12 but its not the score....its how hard we hit this opponent every single play on both sides of the football and in bunches. We had over 100 yards in penalties and I didn't care. Pussy mercy flags. Refs trying to control our aggression. I cant remember one single solo tackle. Some of our OLM were pancaking DLM 10 yards down field.

After the first quarter....fade left and fade right were the only plays they had left and they were VERY good at it. So we went to what Gumby is calling our Charmin coverage and it worked beautifully. Cover 7 with 3 playing the play and 4 playing the player...and they still couldn't run the football. Our TNT took over the game and started knocking opponents out of the game.

Finish up 5-3 which I think puts us as the 4th or 5th seed. Either way no matter...4 plays 5 in the playoffs. If we can play like this....wow...cant be beat. Best I have seen one of my teams plays in a long time.

So...what did we do different this week? We have been a very up and down team all season beating the teams we were supposed to beat and losing the the upper echelon teams.

A lot. Not one minute of Indy. Not one minute of Scout. About 20% Offense and about 80% Defense all half line all hands drilling with any players on a rotation running nothing but man and zone drills. All 7 coaches coaching their asses off all at the same time in mad dash fast fashion....AS A GROUP ALL TOGETHER in one giant drill.

We even made some shit up as we went along.

Went back to our muddle huddle on Offense. In our 20% Offense this week.... 5 Beast plays, 5 Empty plays, 5 Regular plays all live vs me as the DC playing every game I could think of vs our Offense with 13 players. It was generally ugly for the Offense all week. Very little success.

If they pissed me off for anything the perps would run laps till they puked....literally. A few I forgot about and had to be reminded they were running....those two I forgot about had the best game I think I have ever seen them play tonight. 

Then tonight in pre game....agilities...one PAT kick, a couple of KO's and KOR's...then three continuous circles of Sumo to the Death until players were exhausted and then 20 minutes of tee time in 3 groups until they were foaming at the mouth. Then 5 Center gun snaps right before KO for good measure.

So...we went Neanderthal and it worked.

Pin and pull....slide protection...gap control, taps, funnel, spill, splits, stance.... blah blahbity blah blah blah.....F all that that. Doesn't do your team whooo diddly doo doo on day 90 of the season.  Threw all that fundamental ass mess right out the window.

If they dont know it by now...they wont know it next week either. ...took the handcuffs off and let em play. 

Mean, Nasty, Fast.....is all we preached and holy cow did the kids respond.

Our mojo is back.  🙂

Such a great feeling when your team plays the way you want to see it!

"The quarterback must go down and he must go down hard"

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

The Playoff Bracket is set.

Its our Unfinished Business Tour.

We lost 3 games this season....and all 3 will mostly likely stand in our way to a Championship.

I can hardly wait !  8)

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

The Playoff Bracket is set.

Its our Unfinished Business Tour.

We lost 3 games this season....and all 3 will mostly likely stand in our way to a Championship.

I can hardly wait !  8)

It is always a good opportunity when you get to avenge a loss in the playoffs.  Keep the Mojo rising.  😀

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

We too will get a chance at redemption in the play offs. If we win this weekend, we will get the rematch we have wanted against a team we lost to in double OT. We owe them.

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

Congratulations Coach.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Lost 55-0 to a superior athletic team, and obviously a far better coached team. Another offseason to get better.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

M -

It's championship week for us and your post made me think....if we don't know it by now were probably not going to get it right in 3 practices. We are still doing a good amount of our normal routine because I'm to OCD to totally change, however we have put a huge emphasis on mojo and physicality. We do all season with our hit it hurt mantra as well as how we conduct our drills but I know I've fallen into to much X's and O's and over thinking things. If we impose our will on this team like we have done to the other teams we have faced that will be the difference.

This week has been a heavy dose of fit and fight, whose ball, 3 level Oklahoma and today we will have a blocking tournament like you did. I can tell the difference in the attitudes of the kids. The monatany has to get to them late into the season and we needed to switch it up the focus a little.

Thanks for the post !

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

M -

It's championship week for us and your post made me think....if we don't know it by know we'll probably not going to get it right in 3 practices. We see still doing a good amount of our normal routine because I'm to OCD to totally change, however we have put a huge emphasis on mojo and physicality. We do all season with our hit it hurt mantra as well as how we conduct our drills but I know I've fallen into to much X's and O's over thinking things. If we impose our will on this team like we have done to the other teams we have faced that will be the difference.

This week has been a heavy dose of fit and fight, whose ball, 3 level Oklahoma and today we will have a blocking tournament like you did. I can tell the difference in the attitudes of the kids. The monatany has to get to them late into the season and we needed to switch it up the focus a little.

Thanks for the post !

J

I admit...I am grinding along to the finish line right now...so it has to be the same for them.

If we keep winning....I might consider dropping a practice session during the week.

Not sure I'd consider this with the little dudes but the age group we are coaching....why not.

I got so bored in practice last night we put in the Flapjack Pass....and holy cow if we didnt complete the first one !!!

If the opportunity comes up...we will run it.  8)

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

J

I admit...I am grinding along to the finish line right now...so it has to be the same for them.

If we keep winning....I might consider dropping a practice session during the week.

Not sure I'd consider this with the little dudes but the age group we are coaching....why not.

I got so bored in practice last night we put in the Flapjack Pass....and holy cow if we didnt complete the first one !!!

If the opportunity comes up...we will run it.  8)

br>

I get it. It is a total grind.

Flapjack pass ? What the heck was that ??? Looked like a bride throwing a bouquet of flowers at a wedding.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

In my other sport our gang would call the last few days before the grand finale, "Cleaning the gun."  Everything else was done.

I'm not a gun guy so it beats the hell out of me if it actually fits.  But we liked it.

We'd maybe shorten practices slightly and, obviously, try to be really sharp with everything.  But if it was at all sloppy -- like, AT ALL -- it was back to the grind.  And we made sure they knew that's how it worked.  I'd tell them, "One more like that and it's going to be obvious that this way isn't working, so we'll just go back to the usual stuff and go as long as we need to go to get it right." 

Not that we tolerated sloppiness much in the longer stuff during the rest of the year, either.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

I took some of this advice last night.  Our OC is still putting in plays and getting guys ready. 

On defense, I am trying to keep it simple because I think that we were too prepared last year.  We knew where each play was going to go, but we spent so much time on the thinking that it cut into our intensity and just playing the game like we know how.  So, I was just working with the line and we just did fun drills.  Tip drills, some who's ball is it, so fumble recoveries, hit the crap out of the bag, etc.  Whatever they wanted to do instead of our normal line drills.  Might work, might not, but it just feels right and it fits into my overall recommendation that we have as much talent as they do, we are at home and we just need to play the game. 

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Yeah, we're doing nothing new this week.  Probably for the first time.  Check that - one new play, but it's just rocket left replacing rocket right due to the toss being easier for our QB going left. Of course, I've never actually called rocket, LOL. I think I might this weekend just on principle.

Right now I'm nervous about numbers.  Two kids went down with concussions Sunday. So we're at 18.

Our back up C/G showed up last night with his finger in a splint, his brother slammed a door on it.  Will know Friday if he's in/out.  But I know he won't argue to play, I think he's more interested in pretending he wants to play than playing.  If out, that's 17. And we'd be seriously thin at C and G...

One kid has been a no-show to practice this week, no idea why.  I emailed, haven't heard back. Going to try to call in about an hour to see if I can reach them.

So we could easily be at 18, or at 16. At 15 we forfeit.  What a sh*tty way to end if that happens.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

One and done.

Odd day. Odd team. Odd season. Scratching my head.

Defense played lights out....Offense shit the bed from play one until we conceded the game with 4 minutes left to play.

One of our players got hurt and the EMT's had to cart him off the field. Opposing Header and I agreed enough was enough.

We got mojo'd today. I think the score was 27-0. Lost track. Everything you can think of per the Offense failed. Turnover on our own 5 yard line....holding by a plethora of players...false start on the center...sacks...backs running scared...blocked punts...100's of missed blocks....

The perfect storm hit.

Our HC is on crutches, OL/ DL coach out of town at a wedding, #1 RB has been out a month due to concussion, #2 RB out all week due to a knee injury, our Manimal blew up his foot last night but still played today...and is now in the hospital. No word on his condition yet.

I hate this game right now. Loss does not even bother me. Ugly finish to a rather forgettable season. I pretty much sucked all year. Not into it 100%. I should have taken a pass this Fall and let the Staff roll. They would have done better Im sure. I am simply somewhere else right now.

Finish 5-4.

Good group of kids though. They do love this game. I will miss them for about a week. We have a fun Banquet planned. Looking forward too it.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Share: