Next Up...  

RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 16, 2019 6:58 pm  

Heading to Virginia in two weeks to play the regional championship.  Won today, 32-0.  Opponents were pretty bad, but they'd gotten this far on their talent. (They had 2 Dudes that are really good.)  But they base block everything, don't pull anything and either run dives or sweeps and if it was a sweep, Dude 1 is lined up on the backside so that we already know where their play side will be.  I'm sure it worked against less talented teams and poorly coached teams, but this was like shooting fish in a barrel.  I think they got three 1st Downs today.  I kept waiting for the shoe to drop; a Counter, a Reverse, maybe Trap?  Nope.  Sweep or Dive with the occasional desperation pass.  We get 6 practices before the region championship.  I was planning to go to the NC beach for Thanksgiving.  Now it looks like I'll be in Va. Beach.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

acsmith7062
(@acsmith7062)
Copper
Texas
3rd - 5th
Head Coach
November 16, 2019 7:03 pm  

Congrats Coach!

-Chad

"You fail all the time, but you aren't a failure until you start blaming someone else."   O.A. "Bum" Phillips

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 18, 2019 4:29 am  

Looked at video of the next opponent.  They run I-Formation without knowing how to run an I-Formation offense.  Everything they do is simply base-blocked, and their o-line isn't very good.  Once again, they rely on their Backs to do something incredible.  One of the problems of not coaching up your line is that when you suddenly have 7 defenders in your backfield tackling your QB, you have no idea how to adjust, what the problem is, or where the defenders came from.

Last Saturday, when we were leading by 2/3/4/5 touchdowns against our opponent, I continuously heard their coach on the sidelines yelling, "You gotta want it!" ::)  I'd have loved for his kids on the field to turn back to him and yell, "You gotta coach it!"

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 18, 2019 4:54 am  

So we get 6 practices before The Big Game.  Tonight it's supposed to rain, so it remains to be seen if we'll get it in.  If we do, then tomorrow I'm off to the local IMAX to see "Ford vs. Ferrari."  Anybody seen this?  Then back to practice on Wednesday and Thursday.  No games this Saturday, except those on TV.  Then Monday and Wednesday practice next week, with the coaches arriving in Virginia for a coaches meeting on Thursday (Thanksgiving.  I really hate that PW always has a bye the week before Thanksgiving and then makes everyone play on Thanksgiving weekend.  Especially with a mandatory coaches meeting on Thanksgiving Day. ::) )  Players will arrive Friday for a final practice, weigh-in, and equipment check. 

(Not-so) Funny story from this past Saturday.  During equipment check (all mouthpieces, helmets, gloves, cleats) have to be inspected by the Pop Warner guy before the player is cleared to play.  They found issues with 2 players' helmets before the game and wouldn't let our players wear those helmets, despite the fact those helmets had been cleared and worn the previous week.  (I don't know what the issue with the equipment was.)  But anyway, the boys could only play if a "legal" helmet was found.  The header had one extra helmet that our QB wore, but our TE had to borrow one from another team.  It was clearly too big and moved around on him.  But since the helmet was considered "safe," he was allowed to play, with it flopping all around on him.  In the pre-season, we all watch those vids and take those tests on proper (and safe) equipment fitting and this was anything but.  And yet with the helmet moving all around, it was safe enough to play in(?)  Good grief...

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
November 18, 2019 6:54 am  

(Not-so) Funny story from this past Saturday.  During equipment check (all mouthpieces, helmets, gloves, cleats) have to be inspected by the Pop Warner guy before the player is cleared to play.  They found issues with 2 players' helmets before the game and wouldn't let our players wear those helmets, despite the fact those helmets had been cleared and worn the previous week.  (I don't know what the issue with the equipment was.)  But anyway, the boys could only play if a "legal" helmet was found.  The header had one extra helmet that our QB wore, but our TE had to borrow one from another team.  It was clearly too big and moved around on him.  But since the helmet was considered "safe," he was allowed to play, with it flopping all around on him.  In the pre-season, we all watch those vids and take those tests on proper (and safe) equipment fitting and this was anything but.  And yet with the helmet moving all around, it was safe enough to play in(?)  Good grief...

--Dave

That's crazy...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Share: