Notifications
Clear all

Our 2021 Spring Season

Page 3 / 4

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Dave, we've had many conversations about this.

Yes, we have.  Which is confusing to me because I've explained it so many times.  And because of this I'm not saying that I'm that I'm a better coach.  I'm saying that your issue is simple to me.  "H" has to be held accountable and you're worried that coaching him in another way will cause him to quit.  Kids are far more likely to quit because of the relationship they have (don't have) with their coach, than they are because of how hard they're working.

--Dave

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by CoachDP

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @coachdp

Dave, we've had many conversations about this.

"H" has to be held accountable and you're worried that coaching him in another way will cause him to quit.  

Actually, I'm not. This is exactly how I'm going to coach him going forward.

I was specifically talking about your preseason conditioning regime where everyone is required to complete before they are on the team. I personally would LOVE to do that at the start of every season. It used to be in our league rules (both leagues that I've coached in). Interestingly, I just read our rules cover to cover and it seems this is no longer in the rulebook. I can't remember the exact language, but you couldn't use conditioning as a ruse to run kids off or encourage them to quit. I do not think that's what you are doing, but our league officials saw it differently. 

I don't think they removed that rule because they suddenly got smart. I truly believe they simply "forgot" it some time over the last 7 years or so. Either way, I've talked about it with our org Pres a time or two and he won't allow it. 

Anyway, I think I've found a path forward.  

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold

This might get me annihilated here, but so be it....I would kind of just "ignore" the kid from now on.  Now, there's a reason I put that in quotations.  He shows up, ok, great he did step 1 of what he was supposed to do.  He goes through the drills, ok. Doesn't give much effort, no big deal. As long as his lack of effort or interest is not a cause of concern to the physical safety of anyone else, then I'm not going to bat an eye at the kid.  If he does something correctly and with great effort, then I am going to be very excited and high five him and point it out. And those are going to be the only times I give him any extra attention beyond what we deem standard coaching attention: 1. Causing concern for others' physical safety or 2. actually giving the level of effort and performance I feel he is actually capable of.

Maybe he just enjoys the feeling of being on a team, getting to wear his "football costume" and all that stuff. And for kids, sometimes that should just be enough and we should get off their backs. Have you ever seen him play other sports or do other activities?  Is he like this in those things too?

I had a couple girls try out for Jr High basketball a couple years ago that were not what modern society would describe as basketball players. One told me she had always wanted to play but had anxiety issues but forced herself to tryout to overcome those things.  The other was just there because a friend (one of our best players) asked her to come play. Neither was athletic at all and both were fairly out of shape. When I kept them on the team, my best players looked at me like I was insane and they wanted to fight me. There were times that I pushed them and held them to extremely high standards early in the season.  There were a couple times when one of them wanted to bail on practice and I told her that was a decision she had to make on her own, but that I expected her to be there since she committed to the team. Eventually these two players were completely accepted by all teammates and valued as team members.

This past season we had a girl who told us she didn't want to play but her parents were making her play. Add to it, that she didn't like many of the other girls and they didn't really like her. We tried to "do the right thing" and keep her, hoping we could do the whole "change everyone's lives for the better" thing. It didn't work and it was clear it wasn't going to work after a few weeks. The girl would wander off during drills, say she had to leave practice early, etc.  Even left a game once as overtime was starting, saying her mother was waiting for her.  We pretty much ignored her, coached her when she was there, didn't bat an eye when she pulled the excuse crap. The team got used to it and it was never a distraction.

At jr high and below, I believe these tactics can be used. In some instances parents are just using youth and jr high sports as a means of "babysitting" and there's really not much we can do about it. We can try to be that coach that will make the everlasting impact for every kid, but let's be honest, some kids just aren't going to be reached and sometimes it's best for the team if we move on, without moving on (since we usually have stricter rules about cutting kids at youth and jr high levels).

Just my thoughts and I hope it makes sense and doesn't make me sound like too much of a jerk.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coachmiket

This might get me annihilated here, but so be it....I would kind of just "ignore" the kid from now on.  Now, there's a reason I put that in quotations.  He shows up, ok, great he did step 1 of what he was supposed to do.  He goes through the drills, ok. Doesn't give much effort, no big deal. As long as his lack of effort or interest is not a cause of concern to the physical safety of anyone else, then I'm not going to bat an eye at the kid.  If he does something correctly and with great effort, then I am going to be very excited and high five him and point it out. And those are going to be the only times I give him any extra attention beyond what we deem standard coaching attention: 1. Causing concern for others' physical safety or 2. actually giving the level of effort and performance I feel he is actually capable of.

Maybe he just enjoys the feeling of being on a team, getting to wear his "football costume" and all that stuff. And for kids, sometimes that should just be enough and we should get off their backs. Have you ever seen him play other sports or do other activities?  Is he like this in those things too?

I had a couple girls try out for Jr High basketball a couple years ago that were not what modern society would describe as basketball players. One told me she had always wanted to play but had anxiety issues but forced herself to tryout to overcome those things.  The other was just there because a friend (one of our best players) asked her to come play. Neither was athletic at all and both were fairly out of shape. When I kept them on the team, my best players looked at me like I was insane and they wanted to fight me. There were times that I pushed them and held them to extremely high standards early in the season.  There were a couple times when one of them wanted to bail on practice and I told her that was a decision she had to make on her own, but that I expected her to be there since she committed to the team. Eventually these two players were completely accepted by all teammates and valued as team members.

This past season we had a girl who told us she didn't want to play but her parents were making her play. Add to it, that she didn't like many of the other girls and they didn't really like her. We tried to "do the right thing" and keep her, hoping we could do the whole "change everyone's lives for the better" thing. It didn't work and it was clear it wasn't going to work after a few weeks. The girl would wander off during drills, say she had to leave practice early, etc.  Even left a game once as overtime was starting, saying her mother was waiting for her.  We pretty much ignored her, coached her when she was there, didn't bat an eye when she pulled the excuse crap. The team got used to it and it was never a distraction.

At jr high and below, I believe these tactics can be used. In some instances parents are just using youth and jr high sports as a means of "babysitting" and there's really not much we can do about it. We can try to be that coach that will make the everlasting impact for every kid, but let's be honest, some kids just aren't going to be reached and sometimes it's best for the team if we move on, without moving on (since we usually have stricter rules about cutting kids at youth and jr high levels).

Just my thoughts and I hope it makes sense and doesn't make me sound like too much of a jerk.

For me it has to be a two way street....eventually.  This kid is literally stealing time away from his teammates. If playing dress up was a position he would be the #1 Blue Chip recruit in the Country. Plus his mouth never stops. Sometimes I want to tell him to STFU. But of course I would never do that. Kid is a mystery and could be an impact type of player if he applied himself. You can lead a horse to water.....

My hope is one day he flips that switch. Until then...more disappointments. As each season begins....he has his position where any coach would agree that he will be helping the team. By seasons end I am playing the biggest strongest slowest kid on the field at X receiver just so that he is out of my way. THAT pisses me off. 

BTW he has a little sister that is 2 years younger and plays football. Man....I would take her in a heartbeat. She kicks a$$. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Okay, so the universe checked in with me tonight just to let me know it's still going to screw with me. H had a great practice. We scrimmaged our "buddy" team and while the D was on the field, I worked with the offense. Started out with some 1 on 1 blocking drills. Before we started, I told H that his lack of effort really bothered me. I explained that I WILL get effort from him. It's up to him whether that effort is in the blocking drill or bear crawling 20 yards at a time. I said I don't care if he gets beat or if he fails, I just want to see effort. He looked me dead in the eye and replied, "okay" like I just told him we're going to stop by the hardware store on the way home. 

And that is literally all it took . . . for one day.

The bonus is that we found out our snapper is out this week and one of our 2 practices was snowed out. I emailed his mom and asked her to have him snap footballs into a folding chair from 5 paces away. She said she would. Fast forward to tonight's practice, after the blocking drill, he asks, "Hey Coach, want to see me snap the ball?" I said "sure". Sure as sugar, he can snap the ball. Having him at center in Flex league solves a lot of problems for us. We gave him a try and he was far from perfect, but he was serviceable. Fingers crossed. If he can play Center for us in the Fall, with NTs trying to knock him out, we are on to something. If he's not the smartest kid on our team, he's close.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Finally got to play game two. Weather has been just awful all Spring. We have had very little practice time....but so has every team. 

Im going to pray for bad weather every Friday Night because its hard to coach this chit show of a team.  We lose 11-0 to one of the worst coached teams I have ever seen. Its not the losing that pisses me off.  Im not doing this to win anything....its how we lost. Im doing this to develop a passing game for the Fall. 

We completed ONE pass. 

I should fire myself. I deserve it. 

Moving on. 

ReplyQuote
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper

Mike,

Colorado's Spring weather has been killing our season as well. We have had 2 practices in 2 weeks.

Try to stay patient with your Flex passing game. I am sure you guys haven't had the amount of reps it takes to be proficient at passing with the horrible weather we have been getting. It took our team 4 Flex games to be good enough to move the ball consistently and that was practicing 3 days a week. We were a DW team going into Flex, averaging only 2 passes a game so I am sure you guys are way ahead of where we were lol.

I hated every minute we played Flex but it definitely helped our pass game. Keep on grinding, your boys will figure it out and it will pay off big for next Fall. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @g8trs

Mike,

Colorado's Spring weather has been killing our season as well. We have had 2 practices in 2 weeks.

Try to stay patient with your Flex passing game. I am sure you guys haven't had the amount of reps it takes to be proficient at passing with the horrible weather we have been getting. It took our team 4 Flex games to be good enough to move the ball consistently and that was practicing 3 days a week. We were a DW team going into Flex, averaging only 2 passes a game so I am sure you guys are way ahead of where we were lol.

I hated every minute we played Flex but it definitely helped our pass game. Keep on grinding, your boys will figure it out and it will pay off big for next Fall. 

We cant even shotgun snap a football. Really tired of it all. You need an athlete at Center. We need to get back to that. Worst kid I have ever coached played their Friday night against my better judgement because we simply do not know what to do with this kid.  Total waste of an entire game. Embarrassing really. This game is going to grind on me for a while. I need to cool down by Wednesday. This team makes football hard and they drive me crazy. Friday....I made it worse. I should fire myself. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

@mahonz Look at the bright side. It's Flex. We now know that H cannot play C or any position where we depend on him. At least we found out in a Flex game. We both blew it. We're supposed to be working on our passing game, but I called runs 80% of the time because I was trying to score . . . trying to win a Flex game. Between the two of us, you'd think one of us would realize what was going on and start throwing. Why didn't either one of us give H the hook sooner? Because snapping the ball with no one on you, no blocking assignment, on a beautiful night on a turf field should be fracking simple. When D took over, he snapped 20 in a row to our QB without a hitch. We go back on O, 2 in the turf and 5 over his head. 

We don't need an athlete a C, we need a football player. H is as far from that as you can possibly be. Our regular C is back Wednesday. Then it's his turn to crush our spirits.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

@mahonz Look at the bright side. It's Flex. We now know that H cannot play C or any position where we depend on him. At least we found out in a Flex game. We both blew it. We're supposed to be working on our passing game, but I called runs 80% of the time because I was trying to score . . . trying to win a Flex game. Between the two of us, you'd think one of us would realize what was going on and start throwing. Why didn't either one of us give H the hook sooner? Because snapping the ball with no one on you, no blocking assignment, on a beautiful night on a turf field should be fracking simple. When D took over, he snapped 20 in a row to our QB without a hitch. We go back on O, 2 in the turf and 5 over his head. 

We don't need an athlete a C, we need a football player. H is as far from that as you can possibly be. Our regular C is back Wednesday. Then it's his turn to crush our spirits.

We wasted a game. That is not like us at all. 

New attitude starting Wednesday. 👍 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Update for anyone who is interested. Mahonz and I really blew it last game. Really. He tried to warn me about the pace of the game and I thought I was prepared. I thought I did a decent job of getting us out of the huddle an on the LOS quickly. Much better than our opponent. However, I completely lost sight of some big picture issues and that's how we wasted a game. So I'm not "blaming" the fast paced short games, but I am blaming myself for letting it affect my coaching. Mahonz is usually pretty good about recognizing when I get siloed and he whiffed on that as well.

1) Snapper falling apart and we didn't replace him until there were 3 plays left in the game.

2) Focused on scoring and winning a Flex football game, I ran the ball something like 30/37 plays. We're supposed to be building our passing game for the Fall. If we're going to get shut out, let's do it throwing 35/37 plays.

3) My TE lines up on the wrong side about 40% of the time in practice. This continued in the game and I missed it because I was focused elsewhere. 

4) Wasted 2 coaches that could have been watching for coverage mismatches on the non-play side. 

So, now I'm aware and will try not to get tunnel vision this week. Mahonz and I spent several hours on the phone and not surprisingly, were on the same page with how to proceed. There are only a handful of routes we can throw to each position in 5 wide empty, so we identified them and designed patterns around them to compliment the targeted route/receiver. About 2 routes to each receiver with a smash concept and a mesh concept for each. We will work tirelessly to get some precision in the routes and not care if we lose every game from now until Championship Weekend . . . as long as we are a passing machine at the end of the season. Run the ball only to set up the PA pass.

Other coaches will work the receivers. I will work the QB, starting with his mechanics. This kid checks all of the other boxes for a QB. If I can get him 10% more consistent/accurate and get another 10% distance on his throws, we will be in good shape for the Fall.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Y'know, you wouldn't have to worry about all that flibertygiberty if you'd just run the Double Wing.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Dimson liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Y'know, you wouldn't have to worry about all that flibertygiberty if you'd just run the Double Wing.

--Dave

The idea of our team running the double wing would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

--Dave

The idea of our team running the double wing would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Case in point:

Last night starts out with a bang. Our Center (who won the Crunch Bar for only having 1 bad snap in 30 the last game he played) is 20 minutes late for practice. Went through 2 backup centers (it will be years before H gets another look at C) and about a dozen bad snaps before he graces us with his presence. We get some work done on our passing game and make decent progress, but not until 20 minutes and a dozen reps are wasted.

Move on to scrimmage with the neighbor team. We are playing them Friday and the game plan is to be about 90% passing. So of course, I run the ball at them ever single play. Our OTs (3 man line in Flex) are sieves. These two won the Crunch Bar last Friday for absolutely shutting down 2 ENORMOUS DEs.  I guess Wednesday is their night off. Quick look at RT and figure out his problem. I coach him up and he's doing alright. Effort is there and he is listening.  LT, who is normally a BEAST is getting worked by the DE play after play. Head scratcher because the other team is rotating 3 guys and he is getting smoked by all 3. Hard to get a read on this kid. I nicknamed him "DMV", because his body language and facial expression is that of someone who has been waiting in line at the DMV for about 45 minutes. A lot of coaches write him off because of this. I noticed a few seasons ago that this kid flips the switch when the ball is snapped . . . except for last night. Apparently his switch was broken. Effort is non-existent and we cannot get out of the backfield unless we run to the right. Fine by me. We run 15 "plays" at them and it's the defense's turn. With 19 players on the team in a 9v9 league, we should be 2 platoon plus 1. 5 players are no shows for practice, so Mahonz picks 4 of them to double up on defense, saving the from what's about to happen.

I explain to the remaining 5 that they WILL demonstrate effort one way or another and since they gave none during the scrimmage, we'll exert some effort now. So instead of working on technique/skills, we work on effort. Had to extend it because my loudmouth RT (who just about gave up on his 3rd bear crawl) tells me "These drills are fun coach", so I extended the incentive session. Only got to run 1 footwork drill before Mahonz is done running our D against the neighbor's O.

We continue with running our passing game, figuring out which combos work and which don't. Effort is now being demonstrated by my OTs. I tell them that I'm satisfied with the effort, but I'm very disappointed that they seem to be motivated by fear of exercise rather than fear of letting their brothers down. Mahonz' little blitzing LB is giving us fits, which is good, but it's bad that he roughs our QB about a half dozen times. Big "no no" in Flex, so I have a talk with him. Then Mahonz points out that during the scrimmage vs the neighbor, little guy did NOTHING. 

And that, is essentially the essence of our team. No idea who is going to show up and who isn't when it counts. Double Wing?  Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! 

Post-practice, Mahonz announces tomorrow's return of Godzilla. I took more than my fair share of talk time to point out that our general approach to the team and to the game has been affecting our product on the field. Late to practice, missing practice, forgot my helmet, forgot my mouthpiece, wore my Air Jordan's to practice, etc, etc, etc. Then pointed out that we are EXTREMELY deficient in the athleticism department and to compensate, we must be tight, disciplined, well oiled and fiercely competitive. Otherwise, we will crush the bad teams (until they catch up to us), go 50/50 against the average teams, and get mercied 3 times per season. Several kids (including H) still don't know their route trees. Lots of good excuses, though.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Much better practice last night. Effort from everyone. More importantly, we made progress in our passing game. In my head, I want speed,  precision and consistency. We are not there, but we are getting closer.  Snapping from our new C is to the point where I can probably introduce blocking to him. I'll give it one more game though. QB is engaged and making decisions. 

Mahonz gave a really good talk to them about coming together as a family instead of being out for themselves. Seemed to click.

H . . . sigh. Mom came to us before practice. H was ready to quit Wednesday night after I laid into him multiple times. She told us that he has dyslexia and transposes numbers, which makes learning the route tree difficult. So I'm wondering if that's really the issue, or is the issue that Mommy is quick to play the "H is special" card any time he struggles. I honestly don't know. I really don't. I'm aware that dyslexia is very real to those who have it, but is it over-played?

I talked it over with him and said, that if I'm too much for him and making him want to quit, then it's okay to tell me. "Hey Coach, you're ruining this for me." So now the challenge is to keep demanding his best as I see it rather than how he sees it without him quitting.

Worked with him 1 on 1 on his routes before practice. He did well in the scrimmage at DT.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: