Our 2021 Spring Sea...

Notifications
Clear all

Our 2021 Spring Season

Page 4 / 5

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Does he really need to know all of the routes on the route tree?  Or just the routes that you would actually have him run?  I mean, IF the kid can only do one thing, then why not have him specialize in it?

--Dave

This post was modified 2 months ago by CoachDP

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @coachdp

Does he really need to know all of the routes on the route tree?  

--Dave

Yes for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with throwing the ball to him.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Last night we played a 9:30 game. It wasn't bad. Weather was very pleasant. Our 10 years old's were awake. 

We lost the Golden Shoe Trophy to our rival. Kids played hard. I lost track of the score. I think it was 16-0. 

I decided last night that a tackle football team like ours is going backwards playing Flex Football. Some of the the things we MUST teach for Flex directly conflicts what we strive for in the Fall. We are not blessed with speed. We must execute perfectly to complete. Flex is schoolyard ball. 

We are developing a really nice looking QB. His confidence grows each week as does Coach Gumby's. Calling a 100% 5 wide Offense is no walk in the Park. He crushed it last night. I was very happy for him. Excellent mixture. It takes tremendous focus to wrap your brain around this type of attack...in 10 seconds per play call. Plus I forced Ted Seays formation theories on him this week so he had to manage that as well. It worked. We had open receivers.. Next step is getting them the football on time..... consistently catching them and then run in space. We had issues with our blocking surface last night.....need to address that and use two TE's instead of one. Lar quickly put that in late in the game and it worked. WE had a really nice drive to end the the game. 

The Defense is taking really good angles and fully understand geometry....only because all but 2 players have to be 4 yards off the LOS at the snap. But fast kid left and fast kid right is Kindergarten football. We have gone backwards in that respect. The teams that win in tackle football run north and south off tackle better than their opponent. The teams that fun fit better than their opponent will win lots football games.

Flex promotes NONE of this. Heck we had 3 Safeties last night but there are no safeties scores in Flex while an interception is worth 2 points. 

Its football and all football is good but this is not my cup of tea. Fortunately AAU started up a Spring Tackle League this year and I heard its going very well. Will absolutely do that in the future. 

The positive...Flex will make those parents that fear tackle more comfortable so any format that gets kids playing football is a good thing. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Scrimmage Fest over the weekend. Our sister team organized it, then promptly got quarantined. Mahonz and our team mom took over and did a great job. 3 teams total, 2 scrimmages each. We used down and distance, but each team got the ball for 20 minutes, so if you failed to convert, you went back to the 40 YL.

First team is a COVID team. This means that they took advantage of relaxed transfer/recruiting rules from the pandemic and stacked the hell out of a team. I get the sense we got their "7 on 7" squad because they have some bigs in the Fall. Coach is a good dude and knows what they are doing. Their QB is a 3rd grader (year younger) who plays like an 8th grader. Apparently his big brother is starting QB for a local HS powerhouse. It was very cool to watch this kid throw. We worked on our passing game and I am very pleased with the progress. We are starting to look crisp in our routes and QB is playing football. We just need to get him to understand when it's time to improvise and when it's time to stick to the plan. We didn't score against them, but we moved the ball well. When they have the ball, they have 3 kids who we just can't touch. It is what it is. If you can't get close enough to touch a kid with 2 hands, you sure as hell can't tackle him.

2nd team . . . ugh. 

1) ignored the Flex rules

2) didn't have the Flex gear

3) part of the game plan was to Mojo us, which is fine in the Fall, but Flex league sends out "personal foul" email reminders on a weekly basis. Not sure anyone on this staff has email.

4) ran out of formations that would have been illegal in the Fall, let alone in Flex

5) when they couldn't block our DT, coaching point was "grab him by the jersey and take him to the ground"

6) made their offense do "up downs" in the huddle. Then made the o-line only do "up downs" in the huddle.

Couldn't work on the passing game due to their illegal all out blitzing, so tore them up with the running game. Lost my cool with them, which is something I have to work on. Tore into a few o-linemen, not because they failed to block, but because they show no reaction when the defense knocks the QB to the ground (illegal in Flex) and celebrates. So now, I owe them an apology for something I don't really want to apologize for.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

2nd team . . . ugh. 

You got that right !!!  Very disappointing knowing there are Staffs out there doing this shit. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Passing game is starting to click. We have the potential to be a very good passing team this Fall. Add to the fact that very few youth teams (in my area anyway) work on pass defense . . . very optimistic. "Not so fast", said the Universe. Last night, in a casual conversation in the huddle, my QB announces that he won't be back for the Fall season because he lives 2 hours away. I tossed my clipboard on the ground and was 2 seconds away from getting in my truck and going home.

Mahonz talked me down off the ledge. He'd already talked to Mom and it's all good . . . I think.

Anyway, two of our less experienced coaches (one in particular) have worked miracles with our route running. I can't really explain in words what a "good" passing team looks like, but I have an image in my head. I'm starting to see that image in our offense. Crisp routes, good timing, decent hands. The important thing is that we seem to be getting better every day. 

Felt bad for Mahonz last night. He wanted a defense heavy practice last night, but we only had about 12 kids show up for practice, so we had to scrap that plan. Funny moment of the night was from our hockey player who hasn't fully embraced the "team first" culture yet. Mahonz was in the middle of explaining the practice plan, then Gretzky interrupted "Can I blitz the QB today?". Mahonz replied, "How about I and the other coaches just leave and you guys do whatever the heck you want?" Gretzky was seriously mulling that over as a legitimate option.

Okay, probably a funnier moment was me trying for 6 straight reps to run our double reverse throw back to the QB, but couldn't string together 2 handoffs to save our lives. Mahonz: "Throw the ball, Coach!" Me: "I've been trying to throw the ball for 6 straight plays. QB has his own zip code in the secondary!"  Ran the rapid fire handoff drill with the kids who weren't playing defense and it got MUCH better. If you neglect a basic skill, it tends to stop being a skill.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

If you neglect a basic skill, it tends to stop being a skill.

Amen!

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Dang Hockey players. Its always all about them. 😎 

ReplyQuote
C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold

@mahonz could you please elaborate on Ted Seay's formation theories?

On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinicshttp://www.coaches-clinic.com/

Dimson liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Played a double header Friday night. Won the first game...lost the second. 

Defense played VERY well. Offense is having some handoff issues but we were training up some new talent. Passing game looks good. 

Flex football is dumb. League is pathetic. Officiating is horrid. Looking forward to the end of the season. 

Kids still had fun. Im trying to keep a positive attitude. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @tso1696

@mahonz could you please elaborate on Ted Seay's formation theories?

X                                   ooCoo  Y 

H Z

This design has worked pretty well for us over the years when we focus in on a pass heavy Offense.

X is the Dude that can go up and get the ball on a fade or fight for the football on a Slant and can run a quality Sluggo. That is all he really needs to accomplish. He is split wide so is isolated on the CB and can pull at least one to one and a half of a third level defender his way. To do that he needs to be pretty dynamic. 

X opens things up for your Bunch side that is in rather tight. You cannot play man vs a Bunch unless its Catch Man Zone. Plus its impossible to play press. So now you design combination routes for a simple Cover 0, 1 and 2 that marry up with both play actions and pure passing. Thru the process of elimination you can find a couple of concepts that to fit your talents per the defense because most youth defenses are not all that prepared to defend this kind of attack. 

Some concepts.....for play action there is nothing better than the Y Drag or Y Corner. So have all others run a vertical Route to occupy the coverage. 

Vs MOFO run short stuff and attack the middle. Routes that cross quickly work great....Slant/Arrows....Ins / Outs. Vs MOFC attack the perimeters and more deep. Deep crossing Routes are great..... Post/ Corners..... Post /Digs.

For the running game you now have a Power Side and a Counter Side much like SW Principles. 

Our Spring Team of snails do pretty well with this stuff. 

Just last night vs a team that FAR OUTMANNED US....Lar was able to drive the field throwing nothing but short stuff vs their Cover 2. Two picks when we went long. 

All of this aside you must teach your QB TEMPO.  On pure passing the ball is out of his hand in two seconds. On play action two seconds after the action. This means your receivers are getting the ball later on play action so you wont be throwing any go routes off the play action. That will exceed your QB's arm 9 times out of 10. 

Route design presents problems for the young passers. They must add touch to their game. Some routes need an arc....others are on a rope. That is what we are working thru with our Spring QB. Currently his accuracy takes a hit at times but that's OK.....he is learning the nuances of each route. 

That requires about 100 reps per weak minimum. Something about 80% of most youth teams are not willing to do and that's OK. Just means that 80% of most Defenses are underprepared for this kind of attack....pass to set up the run. 

This post was modified 1 month ago 5 times by mahonz

Dimson, Seth54 and tiger46 liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Regular Season ends....another Friday night double header. Beautiful evening weather wise. 

We get some payback on a team that beat us week 2 with a 14-0 shutout. Lost to a top team game 2 14-30 and ended the game on their goal line. 

Our QB graduated. Poised and completing passes all night long. Things really clicked. Offense crushed it. The score in game 2 is misleading....we drove up and down the field but threw a couple of picks vs a GREAT Defense. QB stood tall and threw 2 TD's with a third falling just short on the 1 yard line as time expired. Really happy with his progression and Coach Gumby's play calling. He was VERY aggressive. 

A bye week then a season ending Tournament. Its almost over thank God. 

Driving to the game it dawned on me....not even the least bit excited. Talked to a few other coaches from other teams.....they are not even going to the tournament. This Flex football thing simply does not compute for the tackle football teams....but at least its football and all football is good. 

Kids had fun....these last 2 games were fun...lots of playing time....lots of kids getting touches.... so Im happy about that.

We finish 2-4-1. Yah they don't even have an OT Rule.  

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

On the upside, we reached our goal of developing a passing game. Think of our ability to throw over the last 3 seasons and compare that to now. This absolutely exceeded my expectations. QB over throwing 9's and 7's is a nice problem to have. 

Super excited for the Fall.

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze

@gumby_in_co

What age group were you two coaching this Spring?

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @tiger46

@gumby_in_co

What age group were you two coaching this Spring?

4th graders.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Share: