Notifications
Clear all

Our 2021 Spring Season

Page 5 / 5

tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze

@gumby_in_co

Either one of you planning on doing a write-up on how to develop an effective passing game for 4th graders? I think it would be interesting. Did you build from Mahonz's 'UP/DOWN System' that he used some season ago?

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @tiger46

@gumby_in_co

Either one of you planning on doing a write-up on how to develop an effective passing game for 4th graders? I think it would be interesting. Did you build from Mahonz's 'UP/DOWN System' that he used some season ago?

I'd be happy to do that. We don't use the UP/DOWN System anymore. It's too restrictive since it requires routes going from low to high and alternating from breaking in to breaking out.

Instead, we teach a 10 route tree, then draw up what we think would be hard to cover. This year, we whittled it down to running Mesh and Smash concepts to trips to each side, plus a handful of route combos/patterns that we found works. Lastly, I dabbled in running a few combos/patterns to quads. During that experiment, I'm finding that when you have quads to one side, the lone receiver on the other side either gets ignored, or they double, even triple him. If the latter is the case, someone on the quads side is not accounted for. We also dabbled in stacking routes. The beauty of it was apparent this weekend, when 2 of the TDs we threw were from plays we made up on the spot. Kids knew where to run.  What's really exciting this Spring is that all of the receivers are very engaged, asking questions and making suggestions.

To run a play, we give 2 combinations, one to each side. Then, we call out the target receiver and route he's running in code. QB has "one one thousand, two one thousand" to get rid of the ball. This really helps out the pass protection.

I'll write something up after the Spring season.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @tiger46

@gumby_in_co

As Lar mentioned we dont use it anymore. Its advanced play calling so beginning about 6 or 7 seasons ago we started to progress to something more simplified. Meaning in the past with the younger kids the tree was limited and the play calls a bit clunky if you were not fully in tune. Now its more streamlined and much easier on the play caller. 

The kids will do whatever the blueprint calls for....its up to the coach to draw up that blueprint. To UP/DOWN properly you had to know it like the back of your hand. Some will say....you should know your O like the back of you hand anyway and I agree. But with so many options and only 25 seconds to snap the football....it was a heady operation for the coach.  

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Example:

Last Friday, we were playing an extremely athletic team. They can easily beat us sideline to sideline if we try to run wide on them. Running inside in Flex is pretty useless.

I had pulled the twins side TE in close because we were getting chewed up by their DEs. When we went double tight, the defense tightened right up with us.  On the last drive of the game, I ran Quads Power against them, which is Quads on one side, TE on the other. Below is Quads Left Power (keep in mind, this is 9-man and your line must be balanced).

C   G   C   G   E

A   D   B

F

Looks a lot like Beast, right?  So I ran some Beast at them to both sides for 5-6 yards a pop, then ran the Beast Counter to the outside sniffer with both inside backs leading. For this game, I really forced myself to not look at the ball carrier or intended receiver. I was trying to think 3 plays ahead of the defense.  The Beast and counters really got the secondary chasing hard. That combined with them being in so tight, I called,"Frank Apple Sierra Action", Cat 70". This is a play I made up on the spot, but thanks to the Lego system, the players ran it flawlessly. "E" asked me "what do I do?". I told him "Ogre", which means to double team the DE with the OG. That was the only confusion on the play.

The play call means, F take the snap and fake the A counter to the "S" monument, then throw to C running a 7 route (corner). He caught the ball on the 1 yard line, but their deep safety knocked the starch out of them. It was their 7th or 8th personal foul.

tiger46 liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Had our Season ending Tournament yesterday in the blazing heat. It was double elimination. 

We lost our second game around 3:00pm. It was a very exciting game decided in the last minute. 

I got down on my hands and knees and kissed the grass when it was over. 

I wouldn't have made it another hour.  

Its the off season baby! 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

No more flex. That was awful. Got the passing game clicking, just not on Saturday.

Game 1, didn't matter what we did. Kids did not come to play. Even the ref was trying to give them pep talks.

Game 2, really came down to defense. Mahonz was missing literally half of his defense, so we had some guys playing new positions and had zero depth.  We gave up 2 scores that should have been easy sacks. On one, a kid was literally 2 feet from the QB and simply stopped dead in his tracks. We are convinced he does not want to be out there, but mom and dad are making him play. On the other, QB was flushed by the 2 DEs. MLB was right there for the sack, then stopped dead in his tracks to pull up his pants. Not that this mattered because we had a CB who needed to see 3 passes go over his head for a TD before he was convinced he should stay with his receiver. Offensively, I opened up with Beast for a score because I knew our opponent is open to it. Inadvertent whistle called it back, though. Still, we drove down the field running Beast Left and Beast right until we punched it in. Next drive, did the same thing with a different back. 3rd drive, we tried it with a 3rd back, which didn't work out. He fumbled 2 snaps, which put us in long yardage and eventually a TOD. Last drive was fun, down a score. Dropped 2 passes in the end zone and had a long run called back for a hold. Threw a pick on the last play of the game. It sucked losing to a team that bad, but we had 12 guys present out of 18.

Started working on my 5 wide empty paper. I'll post it when it's done.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

@gumby_in_co

Whoa there big guy...you just descried game 3. Don't forget game 2.

We crushed that opponent 27-0 🤣 

Lordi...If the words flex football ever comes out of my mouth again.....just hit me with a 2x4. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @mahonz

@gumby_in_co

Whoa there big guy...you just descried game 3. Don't forget game 2.

We crushed that opponent 27-0 🤣 

Lordi...If the words flex football ever comes out of my mouth again.....just hit me with a 2x4. 

Ah yes. Game 2. Probably our most lopsided victory ever. The stage was set before we even took the field. We showed up, the other team didn't . . . literally. We found out that our scheduled opponent never showed to any games. I have to think they showed up to 1 or 2, but no matter. Gridiron Football (organizer of Flex) somehow scheduled us with a team that had a history of not showing up. Forfeits are recorded as 27-0 because . . . reasons?  

Spring football has served us well over the seasons as sort of a "test kitchen" for weird stuff.

Modified A-11: Success

Zero front "Amoeba" defense: Complete Success

Side Saddle aka "Cowboy" offense: Success

5 wide "Air Arvada" offense: Success

Although we achieved and even surpassed our goal of developing a passing game, and I think we made huge strides defensively as far as playing full speed and taking good angles*, I now have an uneasy feeling that we took about 12 steps backward on our culture. 

Commitment (players and parents): 4/10

Toughness: 3/10

Team first attitude: 3/10

Mojo: 1/10 (because Yelp won't let me rate it a zero). I think we were out mojo'd 9-2 on the season . . . in TOUCH football! 😧 

* I can't help but wonder if this is because they knew they didn't have to make at tackle at the end of the play?

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share: