Notifications

Our first loss  

RSS

J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
October 16, 2017 1:30 pm  

We played our first repeat opponent last Tuesday and lost. We had beaten them 27-6 just 10 days earlier. They are a team that has had a lot of success in the past and they play REALLY hard. They don't have as much talent as we do but they have some dudes who can play and they are extremely physical. They also live 2 hours away from us and I knew they weren't going to drive all that way just to lay over and die because we had already beaten them.

I did something out of character that I had never done before. Maybe some of you have done something similar?

I could see the potential for a loss coming a couple of days in advance. Practices lost a little intensity, a couple guys had some lame excuses for missing and things felt stale. I warned the guys on Monday (game was Tuesday) that our opponent was going to play to win and they had better be prepared for a battle. I don't think they bought what I was selling.

Pre-game was a shit-show and a bunch of our guys just flat weren't ready to play. Normally, I would do my best to light a fire and get the train back on the tracks. Instead, my AC's and myself decided to simply warn them of what could happen if they didn't get straight.... then let it "play out."

We were down 21-0 before any of the kid's realized what had happened. The looks on their collective faces told me they were completely shell shocked. I could hear parents yelling words of encouragement AND criticism. A few player's were sort of trying to get their teammates to wake up but even that was half-assed. It almost got a tiny bit dysfunctional for a minute or two. All the while, my AC's and myself stood quietly observing the slow moving train wreck. We made substitutions, called plays and coached but it was with more of a suggestive tone.

I didn't rip anybody at halftime or offer any kind of "motivation". I simply told them that I had warned them of this day, they decided to ignore the warning and being down 21 at the half was the consequence. The second half was much different. We scored 22 points but they scored once as well and we lost 27-22.

After the game my wife told me that several parents were frustrated that we were losing and the coaching staff wasn't "doing anything about it." That stuff doesn't bother me but it did tell me that everybody could see what we were doing, just not why. We are already the 1 seed for our league tournament, so we didn't give anything away in that regard. To me, it was the perfect opportunity for our guys to learn something and sometimes those lessons suck.

Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze
October 16, 2017 2:04 pm  

Maybe your way is best overall, but personally, I go down screaming, fighting, yelling, tearing, cussing, scratching, kicking, ...etc.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
October 16, 2017 2:14 pm  

After the game my wife told me that several parents were frustrated that we were losing and the coaching staff wasn't "doing anything about it."

That is hilarious !

Typically when you lose....there is nothing you can do about it or you'd end up winning. Hello !

I liked your approach. Letting them step all over themselves might be a good learning experience. Now you should have their undivided attention thru the tournament. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
jvcoach
(@jvcoach)
Bronze
October 16, 2017 3:28 pm  

That sounds like me team last week.  Same result.  Hopefully our players got the message and make a better effort this week.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
October 16, 2017 7:30 pm  

That is hilarious !

Typically when you lose....there is nothing you can do about it or you'd end up winning. Hello !

I liked your approach. Letting them step all over themselves might be a good learning experience. Now you should have their undivided attention thru the tournament.

Well, tomorrow we will see if they learned from the experience. The team we play tomorrow is really good! We could play well and still lose.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
October 17, 2017 2:53 am  

If they didn't learn from it they are either asleep or don't give a darn.

ReplyQuote
Share: