Overall Great Seaso...

Notifications
Clear all

Overall Great Season, Mixed Emotions

jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
Topic starter  

So we finished 7-1, which is our (HC and me) best record in the 9 years we've coached together.

Scored 224 points, 28 ppg, best ever for us.  We were over 30 ppg in our 7 wins - play in Pop Warner so our mercy rule impacted this.

The defense gave up 39 points (the offense gave up a safety as well, so 41 scored against us) - our first D gave up 27, with 20 of those in our L.  Posted 4 shut-outs.  Mercy-ruled (28 point differential) 6 of our 8 opponents.  Again, all of that is the best ever for us.

Had 7 different kids score TD's, which actually isn't that good for us.  We had two other kids drop TD's passes that hit them in the chest, so it could have been 9, but usually we're at 10+ kids scoring.  For various reasons, the season just didn't really set up the way we might have wanted it to from that perspective.

Developmentally, I think our backs really learned to block better.  In years past I didn't work on that much if at all, and it always showed; our backs were crummy blockers.  This year I spent a lot of time on it, and I'd say in the end it got to where it was good.  Last year we were a sweep team because we had probably the best back in the league, he just ran around everyone.  This year we were a sweep team because we had good backs and got some perimeter blocking.

And I think, long term, every year we've gotten better at coaching the kids to more consistently perform at a high level.  Even in our loss, we were right there, and that hasn't always been the case.

But I still have to give the season mixed reviews.  We should have finished 8-0 and made the playoffs, it was completely on us as coaches that we didn't. 

We let a lot of stuff go - we had some kids struggle with their assignments on D and on the OL that we tried to fix, but ultimately we didn't and then didn't replace them, and it came back to bite us on every key play in our loss.

I yelled more this year - and I mean yelled - than in any of the past 5 years individually, maybe even combined.  For some reason, this was a group that only performed with a foot up their asses.  And I think by the end of the year it got to where it wasn't productive, and again I think that played a role in our L.

I think I failed on the defensive side of the ball.  In addition to some reluctance to adjust player placement, I didn't do enough positional instruction or drills, and it showed in our loss.

Our schedule sucked, we played some BAD teams.  I have a hard time figuring out if we're doing better or our competition is getting worse, frankly.

And, to be blunt, it wasn't a lot of fun for me.  Between the yelling and the stress of trying to go 8-0 pretty much doing it all by myself, I was worn out, short-tempered, and just plain fed up.  I'm frustrated at a schedule that, in order to make the playoffs, requires us to beat a good team after doing nothing but playing AWFUL teams all year.  I'm frustrated that the answer to that is in my own org in that we have a very good team right down the field from us that we could scrimmage and both benefit, but politics and other bullshit get in the way.  I'm frustrated that I took some short cuts in practice, regardless of the reality or validity (or not) of my reasons, that resulted in that loss.  And I question my ability to maintain perspective on all of this.

So in every measurable element, this was our best season ever.  But I'm not really feeling it the way I think I should be.

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

John

Interesting post.

Success does breed stress. The expectations are certainly there from others as well.

Right after we won the Championship last season we went over to one of the Parents house for an after party. Everyone was there and riding high with their electric smiles. Everyone asked about the future so I told em flat out....5-3 and a shot at the playoffs is the goal.  They didn't get it....a new team winning it all is RARE so enjoy the moment. They expected this ride to continue to some degree. Nope. Every season is unique. Winning that Trophy is hard work and requires some luck.

Coached another team that lost 4 Conference Championships in a row before winning a Championship on the 5th try. Those kids and their parents were a hungry group but it was a devastating ride for the Coaches. I questioned everything and stressed out on the ridiculous including our Systems. That is where you are right now it seems. A handful of plays is the difference between 7-1 and 8-0. What can you do to change your fate next season? Nothing. Its a game and all you can do it teach it well then manage it responsibly. It is up to the kids to get er done. That will never change. 

Remember how it was playing round ball at a high level. The pressures were on you.

So...I stopped questioning and stressing about 6 or 7 years ago. John....it is what it is and why Sports are so much damn fun as a player, coach or fan. You love coaching and you love Sports.

Think about that....it helps.  😉

GREAT SEASON !

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
Topic starter  

It is interesting the way it plays out.

You can intellectually evaluate everything, but when it comes to what your gut is doing, it sure ain't about logic or rationality.

The problem is, as I've repeatedly told Ken this year as he's struggled in a completely different way, it takes time.  I do understand this might be a phase, in fact I pretty much have to believe that in order to come back and coach again.  There's no way I can do this again if this is how I believe it will ALWAYS play out.  Which of course, may in fact be the case.  It's possible that this is who I am, and I'll have to come to some sort of internal accommodation or just not coach.  Of course, that's the logic that led me to take some of the shortcuts that I feel played into our loss.

Pretty f*cked up when you climb into your own head like this, LOL.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

It is interesting the way it plays out.

You can intellectually evaluate everything, but when it comes to what your gut is doing, it sure ain't about logic or rationality.

The problem is, as I've repeatedly told Ken this year as he's struggled in a completely different way, it takes time.  I do understand this might be a phase, in fact I pretty much have to believe that in order to come back and coach again.  There's no way I can do this again if this is how I believe it will ALWAYS play out.  Which of course, may in fact be the case.  It's possible that this is who I am, and I'll have to come to some sort of internal accommodation or just not coach.  Of course, that's the logic that led me to take some of the shortcuts that I feel played into our loss.

Pretty f*cked up when you climb into your own head like this, LOL.

LOL

We are playing in a Division now where 11 teams will be playing for second place for many years to come Im afraid. There is one team that is truly the best and will probably only get better every year. So...privately...I want to be that team that finishes in second place. Reality says it is all we've really got available to us so I fully understand where your head is at. It pisses me off too.  >:(

Why bother?....because we truly enjoy coaching up the kids to play this great Sport.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Coach_O
(@rob_coach_o)
Gold

It's been a wild ride for the last 5 years.
3 and 5
5 and 5
0 8 and 1 tie
5 and 5
This season is still going and has one more game .

For the most part same core of kids. Expectations get higher and higher every season and I think finally this season will be the season that will break this group of kids apart. Some will stay Jrpw as older lighters some will go up to Pewee and some will leave. My boys are most likely going to be about 95lbs (i have twins)  so will be 10 pounds off of the older lighter weight and have to go up. Well, sucks because this season we didn't have a Pewee team and I would have 8 to 9 kids all linemen and no backs. And probably barely enough to have a team at Pewee. I think it's time to take the twins to another org and just be an assistant. No sure yet.

Helmet Decals
http://Facebook.com/SportsLiveDecals

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Never make a decision one way or the other until you are at least 60 days removed form the season. 

Sh*t that seemed huge suddenly doesn't loom as large.  I have had a lot of parents telling me they cant get their kids to stop talking about Football.  Yet I feel like we could have done so much more. 

I hope this makes sense.  😉 8)

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Never make a decision one way or the other until you are at least 60 days removed form the season. 

Sh*t that seemed huge suddenly doesn't loom as large.  I have had a lot of parents telling me they cant get their kids to stop talking about Football.  Yet I feel like we could have done so much more. 

I hope this makes sense.  😉 8)

It does.  I don't have any decisions to make until probably February.  We may have some coaching upheaval in our org that could mean I have some additional decisions to make, but we'll see how it plays out.  Plenty of time to figure it all out.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

It does.  I don't have any decisions to make until probably February.  We may have some coaching upheaval in our org that could mean I have some additional decisions to make, but we'll see how it plays out.  Plenty of time to figure it all out.

Cool  8)

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
Topic starter  

I once bowled a 247.  Ruined bowling for me from that point on.  Why?  Because i'm a competitive bastard always trying to out due my last best achievement. 

It sounds to me like you have some of the same stuff going on John.  You made some mistakes.  But the only mistakes in life are the one's you don't learn from.  You know the mistakes you made, so now all you gotta do is make sure you don't repeat them.

I actually talked about something similar in another thread.  How a lof of coaches get false hope from games or points in games that are essentially meaningless.  They put a team on the clock, and think all is well.  Or they score some points in garbage time and think their onto something.  Most times you find a lot of fools gold in those situations.

One of the hardest things to do during a season is be completely honest w/ yourself.  It's really hard.  One of the things that saved our season, was i looked our tackling in a blowout victory and said this has to change.  We went back and changed a ton of things w/ almost everything regarding our defense.  If we hadn't, we would have lost our last game.  No doubt about it. 

I also had to make VERY difficult personel decisions.  We put our starting DE on the bench, moved our WLB to DE, put our CB & FS & Moved two new kids into our defense. 

Moral of the story, you really have to be honest w/ yourself, recognize your deficiencies and fix them, even when things are going great.  I might also add that perhaps mercy ruling all those teams was not the best thing for your team.  We put all 11 backups on the field for a ton of time this year.  We could have mercy ruled everyone & didn't do it to a single team.  Because we put all our subs on D, they would usually allow a TD (we have 7 legit mpp type kids) which meant we could continue to run our offense.  So not only were are MPP's getting better, but our offense got to keep playing against another teams best 11.  Even if theu weren't good, it really helped us see the little things we need to improve.  Now if your backups are so good and the teams were so bad that they couldn't score on them, well then your hands are tied in the matter.

Anyhow, congrats on a great season, even if it doesn't feel so great right now. 

Yeah, we played our backups a ton, and didn't make a difference.  Still mercy-ruled them.  They were that bad.

I'm too lazy to look, I'm sure it's on here somewhere, but what town are you in/near?

And thanks.

ReplyQuote
Share: