Playing Against the Man  

RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 18, 2019 11:05 pm  

We headed into tonight's game against our conference rival, Holly Springs.  They have a true beast at Runningback.  And this guy tonight was like playing against a riding lawn mower.  He devoured everything in his path.  They came in tonight undefeated (7-0) and the defending conference champions, averaging 39.8 per game.

Scheming against a stud is both simple and complex at the same time.  On one hand, you know who to focus on.  On the other hand, you still have to stop him.  If you can.  We keyed everything we had on him.  Despite that, here are his numbers: Against us tonight, he rushed 42 times for 296 yards and 2 TDs.  At one point, he carried the ball on 18 consecutive plays!  On their first drive alone, he carried the ball on every play of a 12-play, 74-yard drive.  I've never seen anything quite like this, and keep in mind that I've coached against Nyheim Hines (Indianapolis Colts) and Bryce Love (Washington Redskins).

Anyhoos, the game was tied at 7 at the half.  In the 2nd Half, we went up 14-7, and then added a field goal to go up, 17-7.  They (he) cut it to 17-14.  We added another field goal to go up, 20-14 with 4:58 remaining in the game.  They went right back to The Man on runs of 6, 25, 19 and 7 yards.  On the next play, we stopped him at our 1-yard line.  They scored on a QB Sneak and tied the game at 20 and then their XP put them ahead at 21-20.  With 1:55 remaining in the game and no time outs left, we took over at our own 26-yard line.  On 1st Down, we completed a pass for 13 yards.  The clock stopped to move the chains.  We set up quickly.  On a sideline route, we threw to an open receiver and the ball went right through his hands.  On 2nd and 10, a slant over the middle was open, but again the ball went through the receiver's hands.  On 3rd and 10, our QB was flushed from the pocket with no open receivers.  With no time outs left, running the ball was not an option, so he simply threw the ball away.  Down to our final play:  4th and 10 at our own 39 with 55 seconds remaining.  We threw a 10-yard pass to an open receiver, he caught it, but was hit immediately.  He managed to fight for 3 more yards and a 1st Down.  With a new set of downs at their 48, we completed an 11 yard pass down to their 37.  On the next play, we threw deep to the end zone, but the ball was overthrown and incomplete.  On 2nd & 10, we completed a pass over the middle and our receiver managed to get to their 19-yard line before getting tackled.  With 35 seconds remaining, we had to spike the ball to stop the clock.  On 2nd Down, our QB dropped back to pass, looked around....and found no one open.  He stepped up in the pocket to avoid pressure...and made the decision to run the ball.  He ran, and he ran, and he ran, down the field, to the 15, to the 10, to the 5 and cutting back to his right and then diving for the corner of the end zone, and a touchdown.  We converted the XP and won, 27-21 beating the undefeated and their Beast.  Their Beast had rushed for 65 yards in the 1st Quarter, 50 yards in the 2nd Quarter, 100 yards in the 3rd Quarter and 81 yards in the 4th Quarter.  There's no telling how many yards he would have rushed for if we hadn't schemed to stop him.  lol

In the locker room after the game, it was remarkable to see the thrashing our defense had taken.  They looked as if they'd been dragged through barbed wire and cactus.  We get a much-needed bye next week, so plenty of time to heal up.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
October 19, 2019 5:50 am  

291 Yards  "Beast Mode" for sure. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 20, 2019 3:44 pm  

Wow.

ReplyQuote
dcooz
(@dcooz)
Bronze
October 21, 2019 4:43 am  

What's your teams record DP?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 21, 2019 7:00 am  

What's your teams record DP?

Donald, the Varsity is 6-3.  Three of the wins have come against teams with winning records, but we're all over the place from week to week as far as consistency.  There have been numerous off-the-field distractions that rank up there with the invented drama of a reality TV show.  It could be called, "High School High (Jinks):  A Year with the Mustangs."  I promise you it would be more more interesting than "2-A-Days" or "Friday Night Lights."  I think we'll win out to finish the regular season at 8-3.  The JV is 4-4, but is the most snake-bit team I've ever seen.  3 of the losses are from 3, 4 and 7 points.  That's been even crazier, as the 4-point loss was played over 2 days (lightning shut it down) and we played it at home and away.  The 3-point loss game ended in the 3rd Quarter when a player was injured.  2 other games were amongst the craziest games I've seen.  I've refrained from bringing them up on the forum, for a variety of reasons....For me, it's been an interesting look behind the curtain at one of the most successful programs in the state.  I've enjoyed coaching the runningbacks.  Six great kids, all competitive, but who each pull for each other.  Their parents have been great too, despite the challenges of the season.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
dcooz
(@dcooz)
Bronze
October 21, 2019 2:40 pm  

Well DP sounds like once you hang up your whistle you'll be able to write a film on your season.  JV has had hectic season. One game home and away, had to be exhausting on the kids, parents and the coaches. With this program do you find out better than your previous HS? With it being one of the best in state is think it would be night and day. Hell I'm going thru a night and day thing myself rite now. Going from HC to just OC at a different program may have been the worst decision I've made. We are undefeated but it's mainly from us having superior athletes compared to our opponents. Our header is everything you can think of when it comes to a bad coach. Worst part is, he has no humility and rejects all suggestions. Definitely been a long yr and I'm looking forward to it being over.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 21, 2019 5:53 pm  

With this program do you find out better than your previous HS? With it being one of the best in state is think it would be night and day.

Not sure what you're asking, but the high school I was at in 2017 is now 0-8 on the season.  They've scored 76 points in 8 games and have scored 1 touchdown or less in 5 of their 8 games.  They decided to move from the Double Wing to the Spread so they could open up their offense. ::)

The school I'm at now has everything a coach would want in terms of talent, facilities and support.  It's just been a very "dramatic" season. lol

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
October 22, 2019 5:59 am  

How was their line?

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 22, 2019 6:39 am  

How was their line?

Big.  They were a problem for us.

6-6, 265
6-2, 265
6-2, 255
6-0, 290
5-11, 292
6-3, 240

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: