Pop Warner SE REgio...

Notifications
Clear all

Pop Warner SE REgion Playoffs

Page 5 / 6

COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

I think Mid Florida does the divisions correctly.

8 Teams in D1
14 Teams in D2
8 Teams in D3

After 2 years they evaluate the divisions.  Top 2 D3 teams move to D2, Bottom 2 D2 teams move down to D3, Top 1 or 2 move to D1 and bottom 1 or 2 from D1 move to D2.  You have no control in what division you play, that is done by Mid Florida Board Members.  If you think you are "out of your league" you can apply for a move but it will need to be evaluated and approved first.

Its a pretty fair process.  They take the overall w/l from each team from Mighty Mite thru Unlimited.

Thats kind of how ours works, but thats how we get screwed. We go undefeated, everyone else goes 2-6, and we get stuck in D3. We went up to D2,  had a team go to Florida, next year most of our teams got walloped in D2 and we went back down to D3.

so basically, if only our team has success, will be stuck in D3.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

Well the sandbaggers in our conference are gone. Our midget team went D3 last season because they had such low numbers and lost a bunch of talent from the previous JM squad. They won the region with 4 conference losses. I don't know about more d3 this year. Seems crazy to me. D2 in Florida is better than many regions d1 so that might be part of it.

I've always wondered why PSL is in D2 when there a bigger city than everyone up this way who plays D1 . I remember seeing PSL in 08 at Disney and i was baffled then. How can a city that big be in D2 as a coach I've only coached D1 and done it at 2 towns of 45,000 a city of 75,000 and now Htfd which about 130,000 EACH STOP WE WERE D1 i cant imagine coaching in D2 there's a huge drop off in talent. How does that work in FLA.

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
JagsCoach
(@jagscoach)
Copper

No, most conferences have full schedules, had jamborees, traveled for scrimmages already, or are already playing in their regular season. Too little too late is more like it. Plus, you are at the extreme end of a large state so that kinda crosses out most of the conferences. Jville is a haul from where I'm at. Some of the d3 teams in our conference the last 2 years were pretty darn good.

We started trying to schedule in May, and then in June, and then in July so it isn't like we were just sitting around. Just couldn't get anyone to play us, which is why I said either D3 has a stigma of not being all that competitive or playing an unknown team from out of conference is seen as risky.  And we don't particularly care where we have to travel in Florida or Georgia so long as it isn't a waste of time.  We would gladly road trip. Not sure I can sell a game against a Key West team, but we never had to cross that bridge because no one wanted to play us.

ReplyQuote
JagsCoach
(@jagscoach)
Copper

No, most conferences have full schedules, had jamborees, traveled for scrimmages already, or are already playing in their regular season. Too little too late is more like it. Plus, you are at the extreme end of a large state so that kinda crosses out most of the conferences. Jville is a haul from where I'm at. Some of the d3 teams in our conference the last 2 years were pretty darn good.

You are right about having some good D3 teams coach. We played the Palm City Dolphins in Orlando in 2013 and the Jupiter Mustangs in 2014. Both were pretty good.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

You are right about having some good D3 teams coach. We played the Palm City Dolphins in Orlando in 2013 and the Jupiter Mustangs in 2014. Both were pretty good.

What part of Jacksonville do you coach?

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

I've always wondered why PSL is in D2 when there a bigger city than everyone up this way who plays D1 . I remember seeing PSL in 08 at Disney and i was baffled then. How can a city that big be in D2 as a coach I've only coached D1 and done it at 2 towns of 45,000 a city of 75,000 and now Htfd which about 130,000 EACH STOP WE WERE D1 i cant imagine coaching in D2 there's a huge drop off in talent. How does that work in FLA.

Some conferences don't have D1, I don't think at the time PSL's conference even had a D1.  As far as talent dropoff I guess it would be there if you had a d1 and d2 but if you only had d2 the talent would be there.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
JagsCoach
(@jagscoach)
Copper

What part of Jacksonville do you coach?

We are from Tallahassee,  not Jacksonville.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

The Eastern MA Conference just started a D3, but it has modified weight rules that essentially eliminate the O/L.  The conference sets D1 and D2 by org winning %'s, but D3 is a choice.

There were 4 leagues in EMass, 3 primarily suburban leagues and the Greater Boston League, where regular Disney programs like Everett and Dorchester reside.  The suburban leagues almost entirely went D3. We stayed D1, so now we play the Boston teams that we ordinarily didn't see until playoffs.

We can't even scrimmage D3 programs because we have O/L's and they don't. So we're scrimmaging teams we will then play in the regular season.

I hate it.  Our league was basically our HS league, so the kids played against the towns around us that they will play in HS.  Now we're playing all city teams that we would never see other than in the playoffs. Sure, better competition, but for what?  Our kids will never play their kids again once they leave youth. There's no point to it. I'm actually a little pissed at our Org Director for not going D3 - he was worried that the O/L's he had on Pee Wee (13 of them) last year would quit if they had to jump all the way to unlimited Midget.  My point was that they're in 8th grade - next year they make that jump as freshman, so who cares if they do it a year early? And he wanted to keep that team together as he moved up to Jr. Midget with them.

If D3 works out and everyone from our former league stays there, I may not coach if we don't drop to it.  I don't need the aggravation.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

We are from Tallahassee,  not Jacksonville.

Oh got ya. Sorry to hear that, lol.

ReplyQuote
JagsCoach
(@jagscoach)
Copper

Thats kind of how ours works, but thats how we get screwed. We go undefeated, everyone else goes 2-6, and we get stuck in D3. We went up to D2,  had a team go to Florida, next year most of our teams got walloped in D2 and we went back down to D3.

so basically, if only our team has success, will be stuck in D3.

So in this type of system,  I presume that you have the same age group of teams spread throughout each of the three divisions,  correct? In other words, you must have more than one jpw team and of so,  they are not necessarily in the same division.  If division is based on record and percentages,  how do you assign kids to teams?  If a kid that just moved to the area is a jpw age and weight,  how do you know which division of jpw (d1, d2, d3) he will go to?  Does geography then kick in and if he lives in a certain area,  he goes to a jpw team for that area regardless of his skill level or is he put on a team that is division (skill) appropriate regardless of where he lives?

Maybe there is no sure answer and there are multiple choices for larger population areas.  I always thought that d3 was created for the less densely  populated areas to compete against similar areas and didn't really have anything to do with talent.  That system seems flawed to me as well,  though,  because to buy into that you would have to accept that less populated areas are not able to assemble enough talent to compete with more populated areas.

Anyway,  don't much matter because d3 is what we are and have been and we do pretty well coming from a small town playing you city slickers.

ReplyQuote
JagsCoach
(@jagscoach)
Copper

Oh got ya. Sorry to hear that, lol.

Come on now coach,  everyone has to be from somewhere.  Where is home for you?

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Come on now coach,  everyone has to be from somewhere.  Where is home for you?

Haha. I just said that because I am a Gator fan. I am from Jacksonville originally but I now coach in Deltona.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I was on that 2008 staff. That was the first year anyone from our conference ever made it to Disney. Only one other team even got close. Nowadays our conference sends teams on a semi-consistent basis.  Our town is not as big as you may think when you start looking at how our boundaries are set up for Pop Warner. Many of our kids(PSL residents that is) play at other associations due to boundaries. Then we also have a bunch of other leagues in our town. Once we started winning there was a push for our conference to go D1 but many associations fought it. Until our staff our PSL was the toilet bowl of our conference. We might field 2 teams within the entire association that qualified for the playoffs. Also our conference is shrinking. We have lost a bunch of top notch associations over the last couple of years.

The drop off in talent is not as much as you might think in Florida. Many of the d2 Miami teams will beat the d1 teams. In fact, in 2010, we beat a Miami team in regionals who beat the d1 Miami champ in the regular season. That team went on to win the D1 midget national championship and we took second in d2. The better d2 teams in Florida are very talented. Some of the conferences have no rhyme or reason as to why they are d1 or d2. We are d2 because the people in charge want it that way.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Both those teams are in my conference.

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

I was on that 2008 staff. That was the first year anyone from our conference ever made it to Disney. Only one other team even got close. Nowadays our conference sends teams on a semi-consistent basis.  Our town is not as big as you may think when you start looking at how our boundaries are set up for Pop Warner. Many of our kids(PSL residents that is) play at other associations due to boundaries. Then we also have a bunch of other leagues in our town. Once we started winning there was a push for our conference to go D1 but many associations fought it. Until our staff our PSL was the toilet bowl of our conference. We might field 2 teams within the entire association that qualified for the playoffs. Also our conference is shrinking. We have lost a bunch of top notch associations over the last couple of years.

The drop off in talent is not as much as you might think in Florida. Many of the d2 Miami teams will beat the d1 teams. In fact, in 2010, we beat a Miami team in regionals who beat the d1 Miami champ in the regular season. That team went on to win the D1 midget national championship and we took second in d2. The better d2 teams in Florida are very talented. Some of the conferences have no rhyme or reason as to why they are d1 or d2. We are d2 because the people in charge want it that way.

Rob where did those teams go? We played Royal Palm Beach in the 2013 Regional Playoffs and now I see that they are no longer in Treasure Coast. Looks like 5 or 6 teams gone since 2013?

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6
Share: