Regular Season Finale, w/ a heart warming twist  

RSS

Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
September 27, 2020 12:41 pm  

We finished our regular season against a 4-1 team coming in.  They are very capable, really good roster.  Our HB has suddenly become Barry Sanders-esque and ran all around, through, and past their defense.   First half, they couldn’t seem to lay a hand on him.  Unfortunately, our FB hadn’t brought his A-game, not sure where his head was… Anyway, at the half we were up 13- 0.  

Second half we kicked off, on-sided and recovered.   Generally, I prefer to open drives with a heavy dose of FB running the Belly.   But, seeing their kids’ shoulders were down and hanging their heads, went with the Bucksweep instead, our HB took it to the house, getting two great blocks from our OG’s.   Converted went up 21-0.   From there, our kids kinda lost focus for a while, lots of penalties in the 2nd half, both theirs and ours, and the other than a penalty-laden drive helping them score and covert … game wound down to a 21 – 8 finish.  

We 4-peat with a 6-0 record as Regular Season champs and 1st seed in the play-offs for the “Little Superbowl”.    We were +2 in the turnover margin, no turnovers on our part.

Interesting side-line action.  Our last rd draft pick (as in the last kid picked in the whole draft) plays DT, we cover him with one our stud LB’s.  Mostly stands there and watches the game when he’s not getting driven back about 5-7 yards and/or pancaked.  We coach him, but sometimes feels like he’s being over medicated, and nothing is getting through…

Start of 3rd Q he starts balling, - body shuddering sobs - and we can’t figure out why, …   so while on D, I’m with him on the bench, and trying to calm him down, to find out where he’s hurt.  Finally, find out, his dad wasn’t there.   Separated family, his dad lives in the next county over, hadn’t seen his dad since Covid shut-down in March, and his dad was supposed to come to see him play this game.  Kid’s heart was broken…  about 10 minutes later, here comes his Dad, around to our sideline, and squeals of joy, and hugs all around.  It about the start of the 4th Quarter, the kid who hadn’t done a thing all season, comes up with 2 tackles in the 4th, and forced a fumble (OK, the fumble was kind of a fluke, but he got credit for it).    A heart full of joy can work miracles.   

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago 2 times by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 27, 2020 3:55 pm  

Parents....sheesh.

--DP

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 27, 2020 5:01 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

Parents....sheesh.

--DP

You got that right. I won't even get into our BS Daddy Drama.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
September 28, 2020 11:51 am  
Posted by: @coachdp

Parents....sheesh.

--DP

I didn't even bother to find out why the Dad was so late to the game. 

I was touched by the little guy's joy at his dad's arrival and the pep it put in his step; the kid was practically glowing. The kid's a handful on his good days, his mom signs him up for sports so she can get a couple hours of peace.  Most of his experience in youth sports is coaches quickly giving up and just not bothering to coach him.  Our HC and I are committed to coaching every kid on our team, and - while we've had some doozies in the past; this kid is the dooziest - still, he is our doozie and even if he's a challenge to reach, we've still put in a ton of time tryin' to coach him up.  

Ours is a 'clear the bench' league, no matter how bad the kid is, he has to play full time on at least one side of the ball.  That 4th Q - with his dad there - was the only success he's had this season, and maybe ever in any sport.  Whatever the dad's excuse was... I'm happy for the little guy's joy and his 4th Q success.  Might be the highlight of his year. 

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 28, 2020 12:17 pm  
Posted by: @coyote

Our HC and I are committed to coaching every kid on our team, and - while we've had some doozies in the past; this kid is the dooziest - still, he is our doozie and even if he's a challenge to reach, we've still put in a ton of time tryin' to coach him up.  

Speaking to my heart, right there. Mahonz calls them "Gumby's little lost puppies".

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Share: