Notifications

Scrimmage  

RSS

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 23, 2020 10:02 am  

Well last Saturday we scrimmaged the team we beat for the big shiny trophy. Have respect for the opposing coach, his team is on the smaller side, so his schemes are meant to help balance the scales when he plays a bigger team. Lots of split flow concepts, dive/sweep/boot. 

We prepared for the scrimmage assuming a 53 defense, and spoke to coach right before the scrimmage, he confirmed he was running a 53. On offense he indicated he was doing the same thing he did last season, the split flow stuff. I told him we were in a 35, and were also running the same stuff as last season, our pistol spread.

Format was 10 O, 10 D, water break, coach em up, rinse and repeat. 3 rotations and then we would both punt the ball 4 times. So 30 offensive plays, 30 defensive plays and 8 special teams plays.

Was proud of the OC, he came to the field and handed me a sheet of paper...had all 30 plays he was running in order, with formations and who was playing where on each play.

Boys start showing up...they are throwing the ball around a little bit, when the deep snapper arrived, I grabbed him and warmed him up, when the Center arrived, another coach grabbed him and got him snapping...he looked like a Zombie, and not the aggressive Walking Dead zombies, the slow Scooby Doo Zombies...I knew that was going to be an issue...

As the bad guys came to our field, I gave him the option of where he wanted to start. He chose offense.

Defense started a little slow, first live action beyond half line they had seen. That said, the twisting by our front confused their schemes, they didn't get a first down in the 10+ plays...they couldn't count, and we were focused on our stuff 😛

Offense was messy, our Zombie Center "floated" half the snaps back there which messed up mesh points, and when we had a decent snap our "rookie" backs were tip-toeing through the holes. The oline had some "left/right" issues, but were pretty solid, the run Power Scheme really well, tore a big hole through the defense.

Things got progressively better as the scrimmage went on...Zombie Center finally woke up...Defense gained more confidence and were tearing things up...backs stayed slow however. We just have to keep repping them...

The only success the bad guys had where if we blew an assignment on either side of the ball. The did not overpower us anywhere. And the good thing, we did not see the same player blow the same assignment twice in the scrimmage, they may have blown different assignments, but they seemed to learn from their mistakes.

Some people lost positions, some played their way into positions...it was a good scrimmage, overall was pleased at the effort and the outcome 🙂

Game week this week...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Coyote liked
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 23, 2020 11:17 am  
Posted by: @spidermac

our Zombie Center "floated" half the snaps back there which messed up mesh points

Chris, we use a technique that has been foolproof over the years and is impervious to weather and talent.  We call it, "Under Center."  And yes, you can steal this from me. 😉 

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

spidermac liked
ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 23, 2020 11:27 am  
Posted by: @coachdp

our Zombie Center "floated" half the snaps back there which messed up mesh points

Chris, we use a technique that has been foolproof over the years and is impervious to weather and talent.  We call it, "Under Center."  And yes, you can steal this from me. 😉 

--Dave

Unless I get a new set of coaches...I am kind of stuck where I am 😛 

Pretty sure this is my OC's last hurrah with me...after these kids age out, I will need a new OC, probably going to be me...DTDW 🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 23, 2020 11:57 am  

Unless I get a new set of coaches...I am kind of stuck where I am 😛 

Blah, blah, bloppity blah...Just dump the OC.  Or start getting 150 consecutive snaps every practice.  (You can steal that one, too!)

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 23, 2020 12:31 pm  

@coachdp

Actually, he snaps to me during the warm up, until it is time to bear crawl...we get about 50 in before practice...

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 23, 2020 1:48 pm  

@coachdp

Actually, he snaps to me during the warm up, until it is time to bear crawl...we get about 50 in before practice...

Then you're still 100 short.

And we get more than 150 in, because when they glitch it, they start all over again.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 23, 2020 1:48 pm  

@coachdp

Then you're still 100 short.

And we get more than 150 in, because when they glitch it, they start all over again.  This is the most important fundamental on offense, because if you have no snap, then you have no play.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: