Snake Bit  

RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 5, 2019 7:31 am  

Our JV season at the high school has started off in the worst possible way.  In Game 1, we traveled 90 minutes away on an overcast, rainy day.  We were down 6-0 in the 2nd Quarter, when the game was called for thunder/lightning and we'd already sat in the locker room for an hour plus.  They said the game would be made up.  In Week 2, we were supposed to have a home game against an opponent that offered me and my staff at EWHS a job last year.  We turned it down because it was a non-Double Wing dumpster fire.  Good thing, too.  They cancelled on us, citing that they didn't have enough equipment for their players.  However, to fill in for that game our Week 1 opponent said they would play us and finish out our suspended game.  We lost 25-21 on a touchdown pass where their receiver ran out of bounds down the sideline, ran back inside the sidelines, and caught a touchdown pass.  When we told the Side Judge and complained that he was no longer an eligible receiver, his response was that we pushed the receiver OOB.  ??  We asked him "Then why didn't you throw a flag on us?"  No response.  Later, we completed a pass on our sideline, only to have him make an OOB call saying our receiver "didn't have two of his feet in bounds."  Amazing.  Later, he ejected one of our our players for using an expletive.  While the kid did say the word, I've never seen an ejection before.  (Of course, I was pretty heated as our coaches permit this, except for me with my 8 RBs.  And what you allow, you encourage.)  Anyhoos, the official was waaaay in over his head, didn't know the rules or even how to respond in a professional manner.  As I said, we lost 25-21.  Last night, we played the JV team of the 3-time state champs.  They were excellent and gave us all sorts of fits.  We were down 22-19 in the 3rd Quarter when one of our players was injured and an ambulance had to be called as he was stretchered off the field.  (He's fine and was later released from the hospital.). But it took the ambulance so long to arrive that by the time we could resume play (more than an hour later), the game was simply cancelled.  So where we should be 3-0 at this early point of the season, we find ourselves at 0-2.  We have an off-week next week, which we'll be a boon because we were missing 4 starters going into the game and lost 3 more during the game.  So having a week off will certainly help.  No one is panicking and I still believe the JVs will have an excellent season.  And the tough early season schedule will be a help once we get into conference play.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 8, 2019 4:59 pm  

We lost 25-21 on a touchdown pass where their receiver ran out of bounds down the sideline, ran back inside the sidelines, and caught a touchdown pass.  When we told the Side Judge and complained that he was no longer an eligible receiver, his response was that we pushed the receiver OOB.  ??  We asked him "Then why didn't you throw a flag on us?"  No response.

Because it's not illegal to push the opponent out of bounds, if it's a clean block.  The catch was not illegal participation because the player didn't go out of bounds intentionally; he's still an eligible receiver.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 8, 2019 5:04 pm  

Because it's not illegal to push the opponent out of bounds, if it's a clean block.  The catch was not illegal participation because the player didn't go out of bounds intentionally; he's still an eligible receiver.

That's not what the SJ said.  He said we couldn't push him OOB.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 8, 2019 6:12 pm  

That's not what the SJ said.  He said we couldn't push him OOB.

Did he say you couldn't push him OOB?  Or did he just say the reason there was no flag was that your player did push him OOB?

If he just said what you said he said in first post, then that fits the situation perfectly.  The player's going out of bounds and then returning to play the ball would be illegal participation, except for the fact that it was an opponent who knocked him out of bounds.  That's what made the play legal.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 8, 2019 10:43 pm  

He said we couldn’t push the receiver OOB, so we asked him “then why didn’t you flag us?”

—Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 9, 2019 7:08 pm  

He said we couldn’t push the receiver OOB, so we asked him “then why didn’t you flag us?”

Then he must've misspoken or you must've misshearden.

ReplyQuote
Share: