Taking A Trip  

RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 12, 2019 7:26 am  

So this Saturday, we're headed to somewhere in the middle of South Carolina to play our opponent.  We've seen video and they're another of those "not a real offense/just hand it to the fast guy and hope to base block enough" teams.  They've got athletes, which is why they've been successful.  But no real scheme, at all.  This makes them super simple to scout (They've got 2 dudes).  But who knows?  Their talent/speed/physicality may be more than we can handle.  3 & 1/2 hour drive down there and 3 & 1/2 hour drive back.  If we win, another off week and then drive in the opposite direction up to Virginia.  Thank goodness for SiriusXM radio.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
November 14, 2019 1:34 am  

So this Saturday, we're headed to somewhere in the middle of South Carolina to play our opponent.  We've seen video and they're another of those "not a real offense/just hand it to the fast guy and hope to base block enough" teams.  They've got athletes, which is why they've been successful.  But no real scheme, at all.  This makes them super simple to scout (They've got 2 dudes).  But who knows?  Their talent/speed/physicality may be more than we can handle.  3 & 1/2 hour drive down there and 3 & 1/2 hour drive back.  If we win, another off week and then drive in the opposite direction up to Virginia.  Thank goodness for SiriusXM radio.

--Dave

I'm a Pandora guy myself.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 14, 2019 5:58 am  

So we practiced last night from 6pm until 7:45pm.  It was 31 degrees when I got there, 28 degrees when I left.  Two assistant coaches had "prior commitments" and couldn't attend. ::)  Two kids were crying during practice just from the cold.  One more practice tonight.  Wonder if they'll dress warmer(?)  The high in Palm Springs today is 84.  Grrrrr...

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 14, 2019 6:00 am  

I'm a Pandora guy myself.

Is Pandora music-only?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
November 14, 2019 6:15 am  

So we practiced last night from 6pm until 7:45pm.  It was 31 degrees when I got there, 28 degrees when I left.  Two assistant coaches had "prior commitments" and couldn't attend. ::)  Two kids were crying during practice just from the cold.  One more practice tonight.  Wonder if they'll dress warmer(?)  The high in Palm Springs today is 84.  Grrrrr...

--Dave

We had 32 degrees on Monday...I know it dropped into the high 20's by the time we were done...frost started setting up on the cones and hand shields 🙂 They did well, not too much moaning and groaning...

Some of the moms made a Starbucks run and got the boys some cocoa for after practice...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
November 14, 2019 7:42 am  

Is Pandora music-only?

--Dave

Music, comedy, I think they even have podcasts as well. I haven't checked though.

ReplyQuote
Bill03
(@bill03)
Copper
AC
November 14, 2019 7:50 am  

It wasn't our practice last night too. Had to be at least 72*

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 14, 2019 7:55 am  

It wasn't our practice last night too. Had to be at least 72*

Thanks for sharing, Bill.  ::)

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 14, 2019 7:59 am  

Some of the moms made a Starbucks run and got the boys some cocoa for after practice.

We don't have those kinds of moms.  "Get yo freezin' little @$$ out on that football field and stop all that cryin'!"  🙂

--Dave (It's just how we talk down here in da south.)

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
November 14, 2019 8:13 am  

We don't have those kinds of moms.  "Get yo freezin' little @$$ out on that football field and stop all that cryin'!"  🙂

--Dave (It's just how we talk down here in da south.)

Da Sowff

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 14, 2019 8:16 am  

Da Sowff

Da Nawff
Da Sowff
Da Eees
Da Wess

--Dave (who done learned my geograhpology from coachin' at Eees Wake High School.)

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 14, 2019 9:39 pm  

Had our last practice tonight.  It was warmer (in the low 40s), but also raining.  Players were in sweats and helmets.  (Not sure why.)  We went over the entire offensive and defensive scheme.  I haven't run Double Wing regularly from the Gun since 2014, but this looks pretty good.  Our QB is a Dude with a capital D.  He will be a big-time athlete for someone, somewhere, someday.  The only reason I brought the Gun DW to this team was because of their QB Dude.  But all practice, he wasn't running with the ball.  He was either pitching, passing or handing off.  I asked the header if he'd run the Power with the QB Dude yet.  He did it on the last 2 plays of practice.  Kid looks good.  So...I'm driving to SC tomorrow, one day ahead of gameday, so that I can get there early enough to see some of the other games.  It's supposed to be cold and may rain.  Fun.  But it's nitty gritty time and we're still playing, so that's good.

Friday's itinerary:

Go to the bank.  Go to REI for some hand warmers.  Go to the high school to drop off jerseys and pants (the school's washing machine broke down so I volunteered to take home all the Varsity and JV uniforms and wash them.  Fun.) and then head to my previous high school to meet with one of my former players and his teachers.  He's graduating early (January) and I'm meeting with them to see that all of his academics and credits are in order for early graduation.  From there, he's enlisting in the Army.  After the meeting, I'm heading out for my 3.5 hour trip to SC.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
November 15, 2019 2:25 am  

Good luck Dave drive safe

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 18, 2019 4:19 am  

Good luck Dave drive safe

What was supposed to be a 3.5 hour drive was actually 5.  I sat on I-77 for 30 minutes without moving.  The last time I'd sat in traffic that bad was driving through Atlanta coming back from the Double Wing Symposium years ago.  I can't imagine people putting up with that on a regular basis as part of their daily commute.  Anyhoos, over and done with. 🙂

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
November 18, 2019 4:28 am  

Glad to hear y'all won

ReplyQuote
Share: