Notifications
Clear all

The State of Things

Page 1 / 3

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

So tonight, we won our fourth game in a row, 42-30.  Our opponent ran the Veer and wow, what an offense.  I've never coached against it before.  (Never saw it in youth ball.)  They ran it well.  I've never seen splits that big.  After the game, I told their coach it was an honor to play a team that ran it so well. He said, "You went old-school on us tonight."

We lost our starting Center before the game even started with a broken nose.  At our team meal, another player's head hit him in the nose, breaking it.  He's going to the doctor on Friday.  That scrapped our Gun Package right there.  His backup just isn't consistent with the deep snaps.  Our opponent didn't kick their extra-points, they went for 2 each time.  If they'd gotten them, they would have had another 10 points and maybe we have a 42-40 game.  We had another long TD called back at the end of the game.  Don't know if we were really holding, or whether the White Hat was trying to keep the game from getting out of hand (we were ahead 42-24 with about 6 minutes left.)  They called it back, and our opponent scored again. 

That puts us at 4-1 in the conference and into the championship game next week.  I don't know how our next opponent did tonight, but they were undefeated going into tonight's game.  We're averaging 30 per game, and I'm bummed we didn't get at least 48 tonight.  The last run was nice, from mid-field.  But I had my 2s in on o-line and the ref said somebody held.  They may have.

This game had a lot of drama (our opponent got into a fight with themselves after the game).  They had several personal fouls called during the game and we even had to ask their coach in the box to leave.  He was in our box with our coaches!  lol  I've also never seen a team eyeball us in pre-game on OUR side of the field.  They also came without a kicking tee and they asked to borrow ours for kick-offs.  (We obliged.)

So if our next opponent won tonight, we are playing for a share of the conference title.  If they lost tonight, then we can win the title next week outright.  Since the JVs were 1-9 last year and 4-5 the year before,  the opportunity to play for all the marbles is a pretty big deal for them.  After the game, the locker room hit an incredible decibels pitch tonight.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Dave,
  Your center didn't play because of a broken nose??????? That is what the darn face mask is for.  😉 Congrats on a great season. Reflect back on where you were a few months ago. I hope you enjoyed the ride as it looks like you did some great things. Hopefully the header has noticed your impact. It would be hard for him not to. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

I've never seen splits that big.

How big?

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

How big?

Not as big as yours.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Congrats Dave

Great Job

You may wanna take over defence this next week for the 30 point per game team
Whip them up into a frenzy  😉 Potter style

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Congrats Dave

Great Job

You may wanna take over defence this next week for the 30 point per game team
Whip them up into a frenzy  😉 Potter style

Thanks Robert.  What I want is to be a HC again.  Somewhere.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

--Dave

I will call you tonight

* Oh wait my kids game is tonight and you probably have one also
Maybe this weekend

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I will call you tonight

If you do, it needs to be late.  Our Varsity plays at 7:30.  And I don't usually get home until midnight-ish.  Tomorrow morning, I'm headed out to see our Jr. PeeWees play in their league title game.  Other than that, I'm free!  🙂

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Maybe this weekend

Okay, cool.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

Dave, itll happen.

The Good Lord has a plan for you.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I started my 3s QB last night and two new Wings.  We've got a couple of talented Freshman runners, who've barely seen the field.  One of them scored a TD a couple of games ago, but did not see the field last week.  So going into last night's game, we'd spent this week of practice getting these two up to speed with them taking the bulk of the reps in practice.  I had our 1st QB getting reps with our 4 other Wings (who usually get the bulk of the playing time).  The plan was to have the two Frosh Wings play the first series.  The 3s QB came to me Wednesday and suggested that he also start since he had done the bulk of the work with the Frosh and they were used to his pitches, hand-offs, timing, etc.  He had played one snap this year.  I told him I'd consider it.  My 1st QB got wind of this and began texting me about why he wasn't starting.  We went back & forth with him telling me why he should start, etc.  I told him I would "sleep on it." 

The 1st QB came to me on gameday and asked me if I'd made up my mind yet.  He then told me he thought the 3 QB should start; that the 3 QB had earned it.  (Very proud of him for that.) However, I had just been informed that our starting Center had just broken his nose and would miss the game, neccessitating that I put in my 2 Center.  Hmmm.  Originally, I was going to just play 2 new Wings on the first series.  Then it was 2 Wings and a new QB.  Now it's 2 new Wings, a new QB and a new Center...in a must-win game to give us the opportunity to play in the championship. 

As we're going through pre-game warm-ups, our header asks me why the 3 is at QB.  I tell him why.  He winces.  I can see him pondering my decision (as well as my sanity). 

On our opening possession, our Varsity OC phones down from the box and asks me why our 3s QB is playing.  I tell him why.  He says, "Okayyyyy..."  We get two 1st Downs with our new group before having to punt.  It is our only possession of the quarter.  The score is still 0-0.

In the latter stage of the 2nd Quarter, we are driving and on our opponent's 30-yard line and leading by 8.  I use all three of our time-outs on this drive.  On the third timeout our header says that he had wanted to save the last one, in case we have to settle for a field goal.  I apologize and tell the offense we're not settling for a field goal.  We score after that timeout on a 30-yard run, getting me off the hook.       

In the 4th Quarter, we're up 35-18 with 6+ minutes remaining.  I tell the 3 QB that he'll finish out the game, but our opponent scores quickly making it 35-24 with still 6+ minutes left.  My 3 QB looks at me and asks, "Am I still going in?" (with the 2 Wings that started).  I tell him, "You tell me."  He says, "I'm going in."  He goes in the game, we call Toss and it goes 50+ for a touchdown, making the score 42-24.  Opponent scores again fast, making it 42-30.  I send the 3 QB and the 2 Frosh Backs into the game again and we score on another long run, but this one gets called back.  At this point (under 2 mins remaining), I tell my 4 QB to get ready to go.  (His dad is in attendance from out of town. He is the Scout team QB.) He fumbles the snap and our opponent recovers.  They bring their offense on the field, but take a knee on the game's final play.  My 4 QB said he felt bad about fumbling, but I tell him I'm proud of him for going out there.  (He kept asking me, "Are you sure you want me to go out there?  It's okay if you change your mind."  lol)

I never (okay, rarely) play long shots.  But I'm glad I stuck to my guns, especially when we lost our starting Center.  The new guys stepped up and performed under pressure.  That was as satisfying as anything.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Luc
 Luc
(@coachluc)
Gold

--Dave

First congrat on the win and the season Coach Potter.

Second, I have a feeling somewhere might be just there if you are patient enough. They seem to have the capacity to realise they have a good thing when they find one.

Luc

To be good you have to work hard. To be better, you have to work harder. To be great, you have to keep working when the good ones stop.

ReplyQuote
Luc
 Luc
(@coachluc)
Gold

I never (okay, rarely) play long shots.  But I'm glad I stuck to my guns, especially when we lost our starting Center.  The new guys stepped up and performed under pressure.  That was as satisfying as anything.
--Dave

Great story, thanks for sharing.

And those few drives might get you a win down the road next time you HAVE to send those kids out. Now, they believe.

Luc

To be good you have to work hard. To be better, you have to work harder. To be great, you have to keep working when the good ones stop.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Congrats Dave!

I guess the ability to puts 2's & 3's in and have success is because you work them like 1's.   

I think you know where I am coming from.

😉

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Congrats Dave!

I guess the ability to puts 2's & 3's in and have success is because you work them like 1's.   

I think you know where I am coming from.

Scott, contrary to what some might believe it was easier to do this in youth ball because our numbers were smaller and we had more staff.  Having 50+ players between 2 coaches makes the challenge of getting quality reps for everyone much harder.  (For instance, the Scout Team QB just gets reps on the scout team.  Which means he gets no Double Wing work.)  I might get 15 minutes for Team Offense and we rep "full rotation" meaning that everyone on offense reps the plays.  As to who goes in and when they go in, we let them "work it out" for themselves.  I just call, "Give me 11."  And yes, we have more fights because of this.  But we also have 6 Wingbacks because of this.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: