Notifications
Clear all

The State of Things

Page 2 / 3

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

And those few drives might get you a win down the road next time you HAVE to send those kids out. Now, they believe.

There's a confidence factor, to be sure.  I also felt like they deserved the opportunity.  They work hard, they're (somewhat) patient.  So far, at this school playing time seems to be more important than with any team I've coached at.  Playing time here, is a very big deal.

--Dave 

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Dave I wish they would let the kids "Work it out" gets rid of that sense of entitlement in a real hurry.

😉

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Dave I wish they would let the kids "Work it out" gets rid of that sense of entitlement in a real hurry.

Scott, true enough.  I don't have to hear about "why aren't I getting reps?"  Everybody gets reps every day.  Everybody gets an opportunity to show what they can do.  Everybody gets the chance to fight for a spot.  No, my starters don't get as many reps as I would like, due to the way the schedule is set up and the fact that I rep everybody.  But everybody on JVs has kind of determined their own niche.  It's interesting to see when I call "Gimme 11," how they have determined by themselves who is a "starter" and who isn't.  The only question I get is on game day when the Wings ask me "Who do you want first?"

On the other hand, the Varsity just plays their 1s.  So there's a lot of griping by the 2s who don't get much of an opportunity in practice and none in games.  The Varsity is having a tougher time of it, so I understand the emphasis on the 1s.  But I wonder how much it undercuts the morale(?)

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
seeindouble
(@seeindouble)
Gold

It's interesting to see when I call "Gimme 11," how they have determined by themselves who is a "starter" and who isn't. 

;D

One thing about kids, is they know who the BIG DAWGS! are.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

DP

Awesome!

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

Go win next week.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Our Varsity lost last night, 24-14.  A "shoulda/woulda/coulda but didn't" game.  Varsity is now 3-6 (1-4 in conference).  Outlook is grim for the next two games.  Rough coaches meeting last night.  Film meeting this morning wasn't good.  I'm trying to just stay focused on winning our next two JV games.  Our JVs are leading the conference in scoring.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

We have three practices before playing for first place.  We don't have school today, but we do practice.  I haven't had an opportunity to really compete for something like this since 2010, since I was with our youth org.  When I came to CHS, I told the players (and the header) that's what we're here for; to compete for a title and to lead the league in scoring.  Right now, we're doing both.  We're a little banged up but I'm hopeful our Center will be back in time for this one.  But even if he isn't, we still rushed for 409 yards in our game last week.  It's the 4th game in a row where our rushing yardage has increased.  We had 391 the week before.  1,399 rushing yards in our last four games and 34 points per game.  Statistically, we're the best I've ever had offensively, at any level.

--Dave 

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

We have three practices before playing for first place.  We don't have school today, but we do practice.  I haven't had an opportunity to really compete for something like this since 2010, since I was with our youth org.  When I came to CHS, I told the players (and the header) that's what we're here for; to compete for a title and to lead the league in scoring.  Right now, we're doing both.  We're a little banged up but I'm hopeful our Center will be back in time for this one.  But even if he isn't, we still rushed for 409 yards in our game last week.  It's the 4th game in a row where our rushing yardage has increased.  We had 391 the week before.  1,399 rushing yards in our last four games and 34 points per game.  Statistically, we're the best I've ever had offensively, at any level.

--Dave

Stupid Boring Double Wing!!  This old timer just loves it when a team gets 400 yards on the ground.  Rev up the Diesels...... 8)

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

This old timer just loves it when a team gets 400 yards on the ground.  Rev up the Diesels.

Scott, we broke the 400 yards mark in that game running 6 Wingbacks, 2 Fullbacks and not throwing a pass.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Luc
 Luc
(@coachluc)
Gold

Coach Potter,

Does the Varsity coaches watch those games (either live or film?)

I guess you can see me where I'm leading with this question.

Luc

To be good you have to work hard. To be better, you have to work harder. To be great, you have to keep working when the good ones stop.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Does the Varsity coaches watch those games (either live or film?)

Luc, yes.  The Varsity Offensive Coordinator is up in the pressbox on the head set with me.  The Varsity Defensive Coordinator is up there, as well.  The Varsity Head Coach is on our sideline, along with the other Varsity O-Line Coach, the Varsity D-Line Coach and the Varsity Linebacker Coach.  The footage is loaded into Hudl and the stats are shared with the coaching staff and players.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Luc
 Luc
(@coachluc)
Gold

Luc, yes.  The Varsity Offensive Coordinator is up in the pressbox on the head set with me.  The Varsity Defensive Coordinator is up there, as well.  The Varsity Head Coach is on our sideline, along with the other Varsity O-Line Coach, the Varsity D-Line Coach and the Varsity Linebacker Coach.  The footage is loaded into Hudl and the stats are shared with the coaching staff and players.
--Dave

Must make for interesting staff meetings when the Varsity doesn't deliver the goods.

Luc

To be good you have to work hard. To be better, you have to work harder. To be great, you have to keep working when the good ones stop.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Must make for interesting staff meetings when the Varsity doesn't deliver the goods.

It's never pleasant when the Varsity doesn't win.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

It's never pleasant when the Varsity doesn't win.

--Dave

Didnt think so..... 😉 

To this day, and to his credit, my son will never tell me anything about the Half Time locker room Conversations. 

What he doesnt know is that his Header is saying things I would say except for maybe some choice verbiage.  ???

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: