Clear all

We won our first game!

Page 2 / 6

COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

W

You would have never got into coaching if you weren't a fan first.  😉 😉

A wider playoff structure at the youth levels = more kids signing up. PW has that little piece of marketing down pat.  😉 😉

Ya, thats one thing they got down. 

No playoffs would suck.  You have one bad day during the season.  One key injury the day befre a game.  And then you have no chance of redeeming it in the playoffs.  Not to mention, if your not the most talented team, and you have to rely heavily on just coaching.  A lot of times it takes a few weeks to get rolling. Most years were hitting full stride right when the playoffs begin.  The team you saw in week 2 looks nothing like the team you see in the playoffs. 

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Ya, thats one thing they got down. 

No playoffs would suck.  You have one bad day during the season.  One key injury the day befre a game.  And then you have no chance of redeeming it in the playoffs.  Not to mention, if your not the most talented team, and you have to rely heavily on just coaching.  A lot of times it takes a few weeks to get rolling. Most years were hitting full stride right when the playoffs begin.  The team you saw in week 2 looks nothing like the team you see in the playoffs.

W

Our League is growing by leaps and bounds...almost irresponsibly right now. The reason....oddly enough....our playoff format.

If you win 4 or 5 games out of 8....you deserve "season two".

The top reasons some of these Leagues don't have playoffs or expanded formats is logistics and money. It seems you could start earlier to avoid the logistics issue and add a few $ to Reg Fees to offset the costs of hosting playoff games.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

W

Our League is growing by leaps and bounds...almost irresponsibly right now. The reason....oddly enough....our playoff format.

If you win 4 or 5 games out of 8....you deserve "season two".

The top reasons some of these Leagues don't have playoffs or expanded formats is logistics and money. It seems you could start earlier to avoid the logistics issue and add a few $ to Reg Fees to offset the costs of hosting playoff games.

Logistics & money is an entirely different conversation though.  Bob is saying he doesn't like playoffs, and to me, that is just plain un-American!  I've never met as ingle person that didn't like playoffs.  Never heard a single person feel bad for the 7-0 team that loses to the 0-7 team.  IF YOU LOSE IN PLAYPFFS, YOU DON'T DESERVE TO BE THE CHAMPION.  Plain and simple.  Playoffs is the best way to make sure you get it right.  If you don't have to go through a playoff bracket to win the championship, then I don't really consider that much of a championship.  Every year i see number one or 2 seeds go down.  Which is obvious proof that just playing a regular season isn't enough to make sure the best team wins.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Logistics & money is an entirely different conversation though.  Bob is saying he doesn't like playoffs, and to me, that is just plain un-American!  I've never met as ingle person that didn't like playoffs.  Never heard a single person feel bad for the 7-0 team that loses to the 0-7 team.  IF YOU LOSE IN PLAYPFFS, YOU DON'T DESERVE TO BE THE CHAMPION.  Plain and simple.  Playoffs is the best way to make sure you get it right.  If you don't have to go through a playoff bracket to win the championship, then I don't really consider that much of a championship.  Every year i see number one or 2 seeds go down.  Which is obvious proof that just playing a regular season isn't enough to make sure the best team wins.

W

Well...Bob is an entirely different conversation as well.  😛 He talks about some Swiss Army Knife playoff format thingy that I never fully understood.

Oh crap....here it comes.  ???

Playoff upsets are the greatest thing any sport has to offer. Its what I enjoy about the NFL and how they have structured for total parity over the last 10 seasons or so. Every fan of every team has hope come August 1. Real hope. Anything is possible.

It is also why I am no longer a fan of CFB. There is little hope for most every fan. Its become the computer haves vs the computer have nots over the last 10 years or so. Hopefully that starts getting fixed here real soon.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

W

Well...Bob is an entirely different conversation as well.  😛 He talks about some Swiss Army Knife playoff format thingy that I never fully understood.

Oh crap....here it comes.  ???

Playoff upsets are the greatest thing any sport has to offer. Its what I enjoy about the NFL and how they have structured for total parity over the last 10 seasons or so. Every fan of every team has hope come August 1. Real hope. Anything is possible.

It is also why I am no longer a fan of CFB. There is little hope for most every fan. Its become the computer haves vs the computer have nots over the last 10 years or so. Hopefully that starts getting fixed here real soon.

Exactly.  Sport w/ out playoff is just dumb.  IE college football.  Take away all the meaningless schedule filler games, and give us a 30 team march madness type bracket.  Now that would be awesome!

ReplyQuote
Coach_on_wheels
(@coach_on_wheels)
Copper
Topic starter  

Well the clock struck 12 and the ball is over but the smiles on my kids faces just to be in the second round of the playoffs was priceless. In our league no matter the year the difference in #1 and #2 is miles ahead of the other 4-5 teams.It felt good to see my kids hold the #2 team to under 30 for the second time this year when they averaged 50.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

It felt good to see my kids hold the #2 team to under 30 for the second time this year when they averaged 50.

50?  Gadzooks man, is there no Slaughter Rule?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach_on_wheels
(@coach_on_wheels)
Copper
Topic starter  

Yes there is but its only that the coach of the team down 18+ at the half gets to pull any three played on offense. That team would go to no huddle and hurry up mode after the half so they would be able to keep their foot on the gas. Not my chosen style when I have had better teams but hey its football.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Not a NY Giants fan are we?

This type of structure is strictly built for the fans. Plain and simple.

I never thought of children's football as being primarily for football fans.

It's so funny seeing people here complaining about teams & players getting trophies just for showing up.  Well, what about a championship tournament entry just for showing up?  That'd be fine if they hadn't just played a full season, but once they have, as long as they're keeping standings, what was the point of playing the season?

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

I never thought of children's football as being primarily for football fans.

It's so funny seeing people here complaining about teams & players getting trophies just for showing up.  Well, what about a championship tournament entry just for showing up?  That'd be fine if they hadn't just played a full season, but once they have, as long as they're keeping standings, what was the point of playing the season?

To earn the best seed possible, get better as a team, go to the playoffs and try to win every game...

Are your from america Bob?  I've never heard anyone complain about the fact that there is playoffs.  Format perhaps, but not just the thought of playoffs in general.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

A wider playoff structure at the youth levels = more kids signing up. PW has that little piece of marketing down pat.  😉 😉

If the kids want to play more football, why didn't they just lengthen season play?  The circuit they're discussing was able to play a complete double round robin of 10 games total.  Everyone would've played the same number of games, everyone would've played each other twice; if that doesn't show who ranks where, what does?

You say if you lose to an 0-7 team you don't deserve to be champs.  But unless the season scheduling was even weirder than I thought, they already beat that 0-7 team once or twice that year.  Why should a 2nd or 3rd game between those teams count more than what preceded them?  The final record between those teams was either 1-1 or 1-2, but somehow one or two of those games didn't count, and if it was 1-2, the team with 1 win is said to outrank the team with 2 wins between them.  What crazy math is that?

In the individual games, why not discount entirely scores in the 1st 3 quarters, and keep score only in the 4th?  It's the same thing as they're doing with their W-L for championship purposes.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

No playoffs would suck.  You have one bad day during the season.  One key injury the day befre a game.  And then you have no chance of redeeming it in the playoffs.

You got it backwards.  You have one bad day during the season, your W-L recorded is affected only insofar as 1 game.  However, you can have a terrific season and then one bad day in knockouts and be knocked out.

Not to mention, if your not the most talented team, and you have to rely heavily on just coaching.  A lot of times it takes a few weeks to get rolling. Most years were hitting full stride right when the playoffs begin.  The team you saw in week 2 looks nothing like the team you see in the playoffs.

That's true, but why should the team that "gets it" sooner not have that reflected in the final rankings?

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

How about this: Open the year of football with the playoffs.  Then after the playoffs are over, play the regular season.  It'd make as much sense as what this league did.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Bob hates March Madness.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Yes there is but its only that the coach of the team down 18+ at the half gets to pull any three played on offense.

That's awesome.  I'd get a five-foot-high trophy and give it to any O-Lineman who manages to get pulled.  And I'd have it sitting right on the bench.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 6
Share: