We won our first ga...

Notifications
Clear all

We won our first game!

Page 3 / 6

COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

How about this: Open the year of football with the playoffs.  Then after the playoffs are over, play the regular season.  It'd make as much sense as what this league did.

Bob, anymore anti playoff talk and your gonna have the NSA & Homeland security up your ass....

I have seriously never heard such foolishness.  Perhaps badminton would be better suited for you.  I'm sure there must be some sport that doesn't believe in playoffs out there. 

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

your gonna have the NSA & Homeland security up your ass....

How else would they talk to him?

🙂

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

How else would they talk to him?

Hilarious!  😀

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach_O
(@rob_coach_o)
Gold

That's awesome.  I'd get a five-foot-high trophy and give it to any O-Lineman who manages to get pulled.  And I'd have it sitting right on the bench.

that's a great idea in that leagues slaughter rule format

Helmet Decals
http://Facebook.com/SportsLiveDecals

ReplyQuote
Coach_on_wheels
(@coach_on_wheels)
Copper
Topic starter  

That's awesome.  I'd get a five-foot-high trophy and give it to any O-Lineman who manages to get pulled.  And I'd have it sitting right on the bench.

We actually did pull one of their O-linemen. He is about 5-7 and 240+ a decent kid and athlete. Got rid of him and the wedge was dead.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I never thought of children's football as being primarily for football fans.

It's so funny seeing people here complaining about teams & players getting trophies just for showing up.  Well, what about a championship tournament entry just for showing up?  That'd be fine if they hadn't just played a full season, but once they have, as long as they're keeping standings, what was the point of playing the season?

B

The cost to fun ratio is off the charts for the entire family. Have had 100's of Parents tell me that straight up....for all youth sports. Many become bigger fans of a Sport by having a vested interest in a Sport....ie their kids are playing. 

Some Divisions / Leagues only have 8 teams per, for example....so if you play a typical 8 team playoff format then everyone makes the playoffs. Now a team that starts slow for whatever reason has a shot at the Big Shiny Trophy.

Fun for all. Call it a single elimination Tourney if you must. Those are a blast.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

No playoffs would suck.  You have one bad day during the season.  One key injury the day befre a game.  And then you have no chance of redeeming it in the playoffs.  Not to mention, if your not the most talented team, and you have to rely heavily on just coaching.

Jake, that was us in 2005:

US--19  THEM--13

US--34  THEM--0

US--34  THEM--0

US--12  THEM--19

US--40  THEM--0

US--26  THEM--0

US--28  THEM--0

US--21  THEM--0

US--27  THEM--0

The opponent in red ended up being the PW national champion that year.  We played them twice, beat them the first time and lost the second time.  (They scored the go-ahead touchdown with 46 seconds left in the game.)  They gave up six touchdowns all season (regionals and nationals included).  Five of the touchdowns were to us.  They played a 3-4 team in the conference championship game and put them in Slaughter in the 1st Half.  They won it all in Orlando.  No play-offs for us as we were both in the same conference and finished in 2nd place.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Bob, anymore anti playoff talk and your gonna have the NSA & Homeland security up your ass....

I have seriously never heard such foolishness.  Perhaps badminton would be better suited for you.  I'm sure there must be some sport that doesn't believe in playoffs out there.

When I was young, American football didn't "believe in" them.  That is, they didn't believe in using playoffs to let teams with inferior records play off within the same circuit where they "earned" that record.  Playoffs were for the champions to play against other champions, as in the college football playoffs (which they had in divs. 2 & 3).  They weren't there to give teams a 2nd bite of the apple.  In the pros you had to be your div. champion to get into playoffs.  Then in the last season of the AFL they let in the top 2 teams of each div., mostly because the NFL had 4 divs. and the AFL 2, so they could have the respective rounds the same weeks.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Ya, that sucks.  We would almost never have a chance to win a championship w/ out playoffs.  Early in the season w/ out any game film it is very difficult to beat a team you don't match up w/ talent wise.  My teams historically trend upwards as the season goes along.  The more time we have to coach up our lesser talent, and the more game film we get, the better we get.  Where as early in the season, superior talent will often have the edge.

Then what about the teams that warm up during games?  To give them a chance, you shouldn't keep score for the 1st 3 quarters, only the 4th, when they're good & warmed up.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

When I was young, American football didn't "believe in" them.  That is, they didn't believe in using playoffs to let teams with inferior records play off within the same circuit where they "earned" that record.  Playoffs were for the champions to play against other champions, as in the college football playoffs (which they had in divs. 2 & 3).  They weren't there to give teams a 2nd bite of the apple.  In the pros you had to be your div. champion to get into playoffs.  Then in the last season of the AFL they let in the top 2 teams of each div., mostly because the NFL had 4 divs. and the AFL 2, so they could have the respective rounds the same weeks.

Oh, you mean in professional leagues where players & coaches are payed to play and their hundreds of plays & a bunch of teams?  Is that what your talking about?? 

If we did it that way, we'd play the regular season, have a regional game and the. go straight to Florida.  We don't have multiple divisions that can play each other.  We have one division w/ 8 teams, and 6 get in.  Now there are higher & lower classifications, and a case could be made that you could have the winners of each classification play one another.  But in that case, why even have different classifications?

Bob, playoffs are awesome, plain and simple.  Perhaps when you get to the top of a few brackets you'll feel the same.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Oh, you mean in professional leagues where players & coaches are payed to play and their hundreds of plays & a bunch of teams?  Is that what your talking about?? 

If we did it that way, we'd play the regular season, have a regional game and the. go straight to Florida.  We don't have multiple divisions that can play each other.  We have one division w/ 8 teams, and 6 get in.  Now there are higher & lower classifications, and a case could be made that you could have the winners of each classification play one another.  But in that case, why even have different classifications?

Bob, playoffs are awesome, plain and simple.  Perhaps when you get to the top of a few brackets you'll feel the same.

They're awesome only when you've deluded yourself into thinking they're awesome.

No, I'm not interested in mixing classes of football post-season, like PeeWee vs. Jr. PeeWee.  Only saying that if one team has proven itself to be superior to others during the season, there is no reason for those other teams to be playing for the same trophy that team does in post-season, when the only playoffs should be between leagues.

Let's get back to the case at hand: a 6 team circuit.  Why should they not have just played 10 games?  Everyone would've had the same number of games, and their records would show their relative strength clearly enough.  Instead they took the same length of time to play an unbalanced schedule of 7 games (where they played only some opponents twice and the rest once), and then all entered a 6 team tournament where on one of the game days there would have to be a bye for one or 2 teams, and some teams would be knocked out and so play fewer games than the others.  I don't see any advantages to that, when double round robin was so obvious.  (In other words, each team play 3 more games instead of 3 playoff rounds.)  It could only be explained by an unthinking attitude that playoffs have some magic to them that just plain football doesn't.  And for those for whom the competition was a paramount consideration, those 1st 7 games must've been "meaningless".  Even the possibility of gaining a bye on one round of playoffs is rather silly as an inducement to finish with a better record when you consider the "reward" is playing one less game!

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

When I was young, American football didn't "believe in" them.  That is, they didn't believe in using playoffs to let teams with inferior records play off within the same circuit where they "earned" that record.  Playoffs were for the champions to play against other champions, as in the college football playoffs (which they had in divs. 2 & 3).  They weren't there to give teams a 2nd bite of the apple.  In the pros you had to be your div. champion to get into playoffs.

The NFL championship game was not created to allow division winners to play each other.

Rather, the divisions were created as part of creating a championship game.

And going from a league with no divisions and no championship game to a league with two divisions and a championship game, did, in effect, give somebody a second bite at the apple.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

And the reason the NFL had two rounds of playoffs in 1969, which the AFL then matched, was because the NFL added a team in 1967 and went from an 8-division and a 7-team division to four 4-team divisions, rather than two 8-team divisions.  So in that case, too, divisions were created to add playoff games, and two more teams got another bite at the apple (including the Super Bowl champion Packers, whose 9-4-1 record in 1967 was worse than the 11-1-2 record of both the Rams and the Colts, who both played in the other division of the Western Conference, and who both beat the Packers in the regular season, although the Rams did it after the Packers had clinched a division title).

(By the way, the Rams and Colts tied in their first meeting, and going into the rematch in the final game of the regular season, the Colts were 11-0-2 and the Rams were 10-1-2.  The Rams won 34-10, and the Colts missed the playoffs, having gone 0-1-1 against the Rams.  Now THAT's a bitch.)

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

When I was young, American football didn't "believe in" them.  That is, they didn't believe in using playoffs to let teams with inferior records play off within the same circuit where they "earned" that record.

....and then something amazing happened....Pete Rozell and CBS.  😉

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Do i see anything wrong w/ a 3-7 team winning the championship?  YES I DO!  Whats wrong w/ it is the top seed getting out coached!  You feel sorry for a team that goes through u defeated then loses to the bottom seed?  Thats just a victim mentality. 

Besides it's usually the 2 or 3 seeds that get the upset.  All of the bottom seed in our conference have been knocked out.  Every one. 

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 6
Share: