Winning Ugly  

RSS

Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
September 13, 2020 9:11 am  

We won game Three the hard way.  Probably the worst we’ve played in 4 yrs, and likely the worst clock  management I’ve done in 5.

We’d taken a 2 week break due to a Covid scare, nothing came of it, but the league didn’t want to take a chance…   So this was the 1st game back in action, we were 2-0 before the break.  The league moved the games that were missed back to the make-up dates, so we didn’t return against another unbeaten team we’d been scheduled to play before the break was announced.

This game's opponent has talent, but suspect coaching.   But, now, I’d say my coaching is suspect as well.

Our kids came in flat…   we’d had some momma drama at the end of the last practice, we’re a team of 8-9 yr olds, but some moms were behaving like 2 yr olds.   H.C. missed the practice due to a work emergency.   I thought I'd gotten things settled after practice and everything was good…   nope, H.C.’s phone blew up later that night w/ a lot of nonsense …   Long story short, we weren’t sure who was going to show up for the game.  

We got them all, but the parental units’ failure to behave like adults had an effect…  the kids just weren’t into it when we got them.  We started flat, and dug ourselves into a hole in a hurry. 

We received the opening K.O. =  1st play was ugly - tho we picked up 4 yds.  Fumbled the exchange on 2nd down and lost possession.  2 plays later they scored on a long sweep play.  Conversion failed.  0-6 score

They on-sided, they recovered, and scored 3 plays later.   Another sweep.   Conversion failed, 0-12 score.

They on-sided again, we recovered.  Put together a drive – twice going for it on 4th and short.  Eventually, scored.  Conversion failed.  6-12 score

On-sided, we recovered, 4 plays later scored again.  PAT missed.  12-12.

On-sided again, they recovered.  Defense found some life, gave up a 1st down, then shut them down.

We ran out the half.   I didn’t work the clock well, we should have gotten a couple more plays in, but we were struggling to move the ball.   12-12 half.

Our brain trust made a couple adjustments on defense, I got the OLine together and praised the way they were starting come around.   They weren’t, but they were starting to look a little better.  Wanted them to believe in themselves.  Seems to have worked – somewhat.

We On-sided the 2nd half K.O. and recovered.   That likely was where we won the game… or more accurately when they lost it.   Their coaches went full out jack-ass all over their kids. Screaming at 9 yr olds, <sigh> Their kids went into a shell.  We put together a nice drive, but a face-mask penalty set us back. Turned the ball over on downs.  The opponents still had their shoulder’s down, we’d had a chance to salt it away right there.  

Defense, responded with a strip 6.   Their kids were done. We converted.  20 – 12.

We moved the ball well, after that, but the kid who face-masked couldn’t seem to keep his hands off their heads, and got another.  Got moving again, but then our rookie WB managed to run backward for a 27 yard loss.   Had to do some serious pumping-back-up, to get his head back in the game…  we chewed up a lot of clock, but turned it over on downs inside their 20. 

We had ‘em on the ropes, but the kid with the face-masking flags picked up a 3rd while playing Defense.   Kid starts crying (he’s a 9 yrs old) and while his shoulders were still down, they managed to run by him down inside the 10.  They hit another big play which got them to the 2 yard line.   This is when our HC really earned his keep, moved a couple kids around on the DLine, put on a goal-line stand – picked up their key, and blitzed right into their play, and drove them back out the 15.  Kid who had been face-masking got the TFL.   Coach got the kid's head back into the game.   We got the ball and drove to their 25 the hard way, lots of belly plays mixed in with some Buck-short, used up the clock and finished with a 20-12 Win. 

Afterward, our H.C. called a parent’s meeting.  The rest of us coaches, stayed with the kids.  It was brief, but seemed to work.  The win made a huge difference in how they received his comments, but hopefully its over… don’t know how he does it, but he actually got the 3 moms to shake hands… Never saw that before.  Going to be picking his brain on that when we have our coaches meeting later. 

For myself, I should have been better with the clock at the end of the 1st half, going to get that straightened out with myself.

After today, we’re one of only 2 unbeatens left, next weeks’ opponent is the other.  The team we were supposed to play when the break came.   Finally got to scout them myself,  we knew their roster was loaded, we wanted a lot of the kids they drafted, but after seeing them….   Speed, speed and more speed.  We’ve really got our job cut out for us.   Did I mention they are FAST!   

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 13, 2020 10:16 am  
Posted by: @coyote

We’d taken a 2 week break due to a Covid scare, nothing came of it, but the league didn’t want to take a chance…

--Games coming off of breaks are one of the most difficult challenges a good team can face.

Our kids came in flat…

--Sooo common after a break.  I wish I had an answer for it.

we’d had some momma drama at the end of the last practice, we’re a team of 8-9 yr olds, but some moms were behaving like 2 yr olds.   H.C. missed the practice due to a work emergency. 

--Missing practice on a momma drama day doesn't help.

We received the opening K.O. =  1st play was ugly - tho we picked up 4 yds.  Fumbled the exchange on 2nd down and lost possession.  2 plays later they scored on a long sweep play.  Conversion failed.  0-6 score

They on-sided, they recovered, and scored 3 plays later.   Another sweep.   Conversion failed, 0-12 score.

--It's bad enough when your opponent is outplaying you.  It's worse when you're playing poorly.

Our brain trust made a couple adjustments on defense

--What were they?

We got the ball and drove to their 25 the hard way, lots of belly plays mixed in with some Buck-short, used up the clock and finished with a 20-12 Win. 

--Better to win a sloppy game than lose in a well-played one.  Survive and advance.

The win made a huge difference in how they received his comments

--Funny how that works.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
September 13, 2020 3:18 pm  

Our brain trust made a couple adjustments on defense

--What were they?

Mostly match-ups.   HC (who is the DC) identified a couple spots where we could get a better match-up,  for the 2nd half we... 

1) switched the A-Gap T's, putting the faster kid against their bigger kid, quickness beat size.   The other A-gap T was able to get enough to mostly stalemate, not being overwhelmed by a much bigger kid.

2) moved our penetrating B-gap T off the line and moved him around to blitz (one of our studs, loves DL play, but he's all burst, not a sideline to sideline LB).   Their OL scheme is to just "block the guy in front of 'em". They rely on their backs to actually block the perimeter or lead on Iso's.   By the half, the HC was keying their intent by formation, our kid was too much for their blocking backs - they couldn't match up.  basically, he freight-trained them.  They started trying to run away from him - which meant running away from their strength.  They didn't have much success at that.

I think those were the two changes that made a big difference. but he also...

3) Moved the B-gaps from 3 tech, to 5 tech alignment and sent them hard to the B-gaps...  tried to create confusion.  Their Gs had prepped to block against a 3 tech (now no one was aligned on them), and their OTs had been trying to get to the 2nd level (now they had a man over them, but who wouldn't fight them head up).   This worked a couple times as times the OTs whiffed and/or the OG's just stood there doing nothing much.  Didn't really see any significant difference in this tho.  (Film may prove otherwise)

4) Flipped the better CB to the formation strength.   Only think of once where this may have made a difference. Partly because of the mayhem our B-gap kid-turned-blitzer was creating against their blocking backs.

The more I think on it, the more I believe if we hadn't come out flat, and their kids getting pumped over some early success, I think we should have won handily.  

Now to prep for a team with speed all over the place. 

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 3 times by Coyote

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
September 13, 2020 3:25 pm  

The win made a huge difference in how they received his comments

--Funny how that works.

Barry Switzer used to say winning cures everything.  As long he won, he found he would survive most any crisis. [interesting auto-bio _Bootlegger's Boy_]

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by Coyote

ReplyQuote
Share: