Youth Playoffs  

RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 28, 2019 8:27 pm  

This past Saturday, I went out to watch the Pop Warner conference championship games for D1, D2 and D3.  A win puts you into the regional playoffs, with the possible trip to Disney if you win out.  The PeeWee team that I put in some pre-season work with ended up winning the conference championship on a last-second Hail Mary touchdown pass.  In speaking with their header afterwards, he was interested in me coming back out to assist with their post-season push.  There were pre-season plans for them to be a Double Wing team, but when I had to abort due to my conflicting high school practice schedule, they kind of backed out of the Double Wing and went with the Spread instead.  I asked the header if he would be interested in the Shotgun Double Wing so that he could stay with his familiar Gun look.  He was.  So after my high school practice ended today, I drove 50 minutes to do an install with the youth team.  This is a Murphy-Wing set and we quickly covered and installed Power, Counter, Wedge and Sweep.  We have two more days to get this up & running.  Of course, I have to resist the temptation to add the bells & whistles and just keep it distilled.  But if we can get past Week 1, we'll have more time to add anew.  So I'll have high school and youth practices tomorrow and Wednesday.  Then I'll have a JV game on Thursday, a Varsity game on Friday and then leave Friday night after the high school game to drive to Charlotte, get a hotel room and be there for the youth game Saturday morning.  Then I'll drive back home, do the high school Hudl breakdown and have our (high school) coaches meeting/game breakdown on Sunday.  With just 2 weeks left in our high school regular-season and the possibility of 3 youth games in November (2, 16, 30), I think I can handle all of the back & forth because it's just for a month.  The real problem comes if our Varsity team makes the play-offs, how I'll be out of town on Friday night(s) and out of state on Saturday morning/afternoon.  Regardless, it should be interesting because even though I've coached 2 teams at once, I haven't coached 2 play-off teams at once.  Interested to see how this all shakes out.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze
October 28, 2019 9:22 pm  

...This is a Murphy-Wing set and we quickly covered and installed Power, Counter, Wedge and Sweep.  We have two more days to get this up & running.  Of course, I have to resist the temptation to add the bells & whistles and just keep it distilled.  But if we can get past Week 1, we'll have more time to add anew...

--Dave

What else could they possibly want or need?    ;D

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 29, 2019 7:10 am  

What else could they possibly want or need?

Well, there are various ways to run each, depending on a variety of situations.  Due to the time constraints of installing a new series in 3 practices, we are having to stick with the most basic aspects of each play.  But if we continue to win, we'll have more weeks to hone and refine.  I'm working exclusively with the two Centers tonight.  Their snaps were all over the place last night.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachHouston
(@danhouston)
Copper
October 29, 2019 11:25 am  

Good luck Dave!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 29, 2019 9:54 pm  

Good luck Dave!

Thanks Dan.  We'll see how it goes.

By the end of practice tonight, both Centers were snapping consistently accurate footballs.  Both went through a "50 Perfect Snaps" session, although one of them botched it on snap 42 and had to start over again.  That's fine, because it meant he ended up with 92 out of 93 snaps going well.  The only offense we ran was Gun Wing and while it's kind of clunky, especially the offensive line, I'm hoping it'll be enough to get by.  The challenge for me is coaching a team that isn't mine and wasn't bred on toughness and discipline.  The best thing I can do at this point is stick as many band-aids on this thing as I can.

I've seen the opponent on film and they look fast, talented and poorly coached.  Whether we can do better than them remains to be seen.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
October 30, 2019 5:31 am  

I've seen the opponent on film and they look fast, talented and poorly coached.  Whether we can do better than them remains to be seen.

--Dave

Ran into a team like that,... Extremely talented fast and the league AD told me "Rob youre a good coach, but you aint gunna win, you cant outcoach talent"

Challenge accepted.

I gave up the middle, kinda, and didn't allow the cheap easy scores, the running back got so frustrated he couldn't sweep and the coaches were so dumb that when they went up the middle they got 6-8 yards a run but abandoned it for the quick TD sweep play.

We won by 4 points. great game and the only handshake line where the players were so frustrated I had their RB tell me "Fu@k you" when I said good game.

Good times

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 30, 2019 6:58 am  

I gave up the middle, kinda, and didn't allow the cheap easy scores, the running back got so frustrated he couldn't sweep and the coaches were so dumb that when they went up the middle they got 6-8 yards a run but abandoned it for the quick TD sweep play.

--I've seen that numerous times.

We won by 4 points. great game and the only handshake line where the players were so frustrated I had their RB tell me "Fu@k you" when I said good game.

--lol.  That's when you know you've done your job.  That's better than a sincere "Thank you." 

Our issues are numerous.  We're talented, but have a large knucklehead contingent.  They came very close to losing Saturday and could easily lose this Saturday.  Or they could put the other team in Slaughter.  I'm just trying to keep them from getting in their own way.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 30, 2019 8:25 pm  

We had our walk-through today for our high school JV team in preparation for Thursday night's game.  When that was done, I headed over to our final youth practice of the week, out in the rain.  I put the Center through another round of 50 snaps.  There were several restarts from zero, mainly because of the rain.  The Center moaned and complained about having to do them flawlessly, which is an essential problem with this group.  Because they're lacking in discipline and work ethic, they don't take to a newcomer coming in and holding them accountable in something they don't like doing in the first place.  Teaching them Wedge is much the same way.  Because they've for the most part been able to operate for an entire season being able to half-ass it, they don't take to putting in real work, especially at this juncture of the season.  That is the main reason I believe this Saturday will be the team's final game. 

This is also the reason I believe aggression development can't be installed mid-season.  It's like beginning to train a dog that you've already had for 6 months.  Kids rebel against it because it's new, it's a challenge and they don't understand why it's necessary, when it didn't seem necessary at the beginning of the season.

On the other hand, we do have one player...and he is a dude.  He is absolutely the real deal.  Hopefully, my Gun Wing install will help feature him and his talents.  I'll be driving to the game's location Friday night, and check into the hotel right after our high school varsity game is over.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 2, 2019 5:20 pm  

So we had the youth game this afternoon, winning 35-6.  The other team was horrible.  Nice athletes but horribly coached.  The game was essentially over after the first series.  In addition, they got caught cheating at the weigh-in/book check.  Their Quarterback played the season as an 11-year-old, when actually he was a 12-year-old "older/lighter."  This means, he didn't have to make the 110 lb. weight; he only had to make the 130 lb. weight, because he was listed on the roster as an 11-year-old.  Regardless, they had no backup QB and ran Spread and most of the game was spent running backwards.  Anyhoos, we play again in 2 weeks in South Carolina. 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
dcooz
(@dcooz)
Bronze
November 2, 2019 6:52 pm  

How did the gun DW look????

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 2, 2019 6:59 pm  

How did the gun DW look?

It worked fine.  But against this opponent, I could have lined up facing my own end zone and running plays would've worked.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: