14u and zone run game  

RSS

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 19, 2020 12:56 pm  

As a favor to a friend I began coaching oline for a 14u team. They got hammered the first game and we'll here I am.

They run the high school zone read and too schemes from spread ... whatever. The oline coach says they block fronts.  That's not and easy fix so I began talkin numbers the coaches didn't like that so we went covered/uncovered since it's closer to the high school system.

I taught them the covered/uncovered system the way Rich Kelly explained me to a long time ago.

If the player on the line of scrimmage is:

1. On your playside shoulder that's a "me" block or solo

2. If he's head up that's an "us" block we double with backside partner. That doubling partner doesn't release as of this post. However if we can do it , that's the optimal play.

3. Inside thats a "you" block which reminds the backside guy of who he has while the guy who has the "you" performs a slip block with the backside. 

4. No one In any of these locations is a "check block" (uncovered). He will zone with his playside partner and climb to second level . I demanded we help playside for 3 drive steps on wide zone or 2 on tight zone before going upfield. Only way he doesn't is if the lb shows a fill action.

Caveats: 

1. Oline is always right if your partner calls "you" even if it might be a shade we combo.

2. If we are out numbered to a side 2v3 we block double "me's " and the center checks front side even if he has a backside shade. Only thing that stops the center from checking playside is a "me" or an "us" block.

3. We must lock on to our man and run him off till the whistle. Every play finished not on a man is 10 pushups at next practice via film study. By on he must be in good fit or on top of their man on ground. Free pass if you throw your man on the ground 🙂.

2 practices with these boys and we are making some lanes that are not easily missed by the end.  Game today will tell the tale. The staff was amazed of the progress and the kids really like the ability to call their blocks even if it my rules.

Hope this helps some trying to figure out zone or atleast get started.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

Seth54 and Coyote liked
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
September 22, 2020 3:44 pm  

I have changed my system a few times. I actually prefer the one you are using now as opposed to the count. Although, I have to go back to the counting system this year. Our new varsity O-line coach uses a count system so that means I do as well. 😀 

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 26, 2020 10:55 pm  

Our boys had another strong run game today . We are now front and backside schemes with bucket steps for backside guard vs a nose and a easy pass set by backside tackle or chop. 

Our pass pro was great too with the exception of one over load blitz we picked up 5 guys with 5 blockers and have the qb at least 4 secs before throwing. 

Going forward we are going to focus more on initial contact and getting movement . Currently we are on our guys with lanes just want more width I'm our wide zone and more vertical in tight zone. We got 3 zone combos today in tight zone which is optimal and it went for 60 if we can get that more often big things upcoming.

This week we get Friday night action vs the league powerhouse. 

ReplyQuote
jtrent64
(@jtrent64)
Copper
September 27, 2020 4:16 pm  

Curious, does zone work very well for you when you face 5 man front?  We almost always face a 5 man(5-3), NG, 3Tech(or just b gap), and DE outside.  Most of the teams in the area seem to run a 5-3 and when we tried zone blocking, the only double team I would get is from the backside guard and Center so it did not seem to create the running alleys it should.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 27, 2020 4:23 pm  

Yes it does and I can diagram

----w----m------d

--5---3---0---3-------9

----0--0--#--0--0--y

Wide zone Strong

Center steps playside on the nose once the combo starts moving he looks at the mike to climb

Right guard reaches to 3 tech

Right tackle - checks/ combos with Y intending to climb to Sam

Y reaches the 9 

Left guard combos with the center.

Left tackle reaches the backside 3

This is how we block that front. With 3 wrs this box becomes less 

If you need more insight lemme kno

ReplyQuote
Share: