Clear all

Incredibly Simple Inside Zone Combo Question

Page 1 / 2

Rebel
(@rebel)
Copper
Topic starter  

Almost embarrassed to ask this...
On inside zone combos, what EXACTLY determines who comes off on the LB and who stays on the DL ? Is it the DL (either playing the gap he's in or slanting) ? Is it the LB (filling inside or scraping outside) ?
When I hear guys talk about the uncovered guy reading the DLs near knee - or shoulder or hip, whatever... - it seems to imply that the DL will determine who comes off ?
When I hear guys talk about the 4 hands-4 eyes thing (eyes on the LB) - it seems to imply that the LB will determine who comes off ?
**Bear with me. I'm an ex-QB trying to learn OL play.

Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum

Almost embarrassed to ask this...
On inside zone combos, what EXACTLY determines who comes off on the LB and who stays on the DL ? Is it the DL (either playing the gap he's in or slanting) ? Is it the LB (filling inside or scraping outside) ?
When I hear guys talk about the uncovered guy reading the DLs near knee - or shoulder or hip, whatever... - it seems to imply that the DL will determine who comes off ?
When I hear guys talk about the 4 hands-4 eyes thing (eyes on the LB) - it seems to imply that the LB will determine who comes off ?
**Bear with me. I'm an ex-QB trying to learn OL play.

A)  if the DLM comes inside the OUTSIDE BLOCKER will come off on LB.
B)  if the DLM plows straight ahead - he will be doubled with 4 eyes on the LB & one of the two blockers comes off on LB late after getting vertical movement on DLM (depending if LBer is inside or outside the combo). 
C)  if the DLM goes outside the inside blocker will come off on LB.

SEE 2 ATTACHMENTS:

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum

The ATTACHED shows the simple "AIMING" POINTS (AKA: "landmarks"):

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum

First 4 pages of ATTACHED notes = ZONE PLAYS:

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Almost embarrassed to ask this.

Don't be.  Not only did I not understand your question, I didn't understand the answer, either.  lol  When you figure out this zone thing you speak of, you can explain it to me.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum

Don't be.  Not only did I not understand your question, I didn't understand the answer, either.  lol  When you figure out this zone thing you speak of, you can explain it to me.

--Dave

Ain't "rocket science"!

Just ask some of people on this site who DO understand zone blocking (Mahonz; Rich Kelly; MH Coach Joe; Zach; Luc; Vince; Morris; coachsadh, coach craig, Mosley, Michael Belz, Robert Sherrod; durfee, dclipsky; ETC, ETC, ETC)!

ReplyQuote
durfee4
(@durfee4)
Platinum

Ain't "rocket science"!

Just ask people on this site who DO understand zone blocking (Mahonz; Rich Kelly; MH Coach Joe; Zach; Luc; Morris; ETC, ETC, ETC)!

Me.  🙂

Success only comes before Work in the dictionary

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum

Me.  🙂

Yes, "Durf" understands it!

PS:  I would like to see how some of these "coaches" who don't understand "zone blocking" handle: slants & angles, fast-flow LBers,  zone-dogs, fire-zones, twists (ET/TE/TT) ETC.  Better still, I like to COACH against coaches who don't understand SOME zone concepts!

ReplyQuote
durfee4
(@durfee4)
Platinum

Even Cox is starting to implimenting into his Pistol.cool stuff. 😉

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum

Even Cox is starting to implimenting into his Pistol.cool stuff. 😉

Anybody that assigns an uncovered O-Lineman to block a LBer (stacked OR unstacked) will have to zone to GET to that LBer SOONER OR LATER (unless their selected opponent is a recessed "kinder-care" group).

PS:  MOST people that say they DON'T "zone" block, actually DO use some form of "zone" blocking, & DON'T EVEN KNOW they are doing it!  If anyone wants an EXPLANATION of this = PHONE me at:  804-716-7038!

ReplyQuote
durfee4
(@durfee4)
Platinum

We basically zoned playside last season .I did not teach count,but covered un-covered ,dt and 4 eyes on the lbers.

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum

We basically zoned playside last season .I did not teach count,but covered un-covered ,dt and 4 eyes on the lbers.

ALL forms of blocking BECOME zone blocking when you can't get to the man you are ASSIGNED to block, but another defender crosses your path and you are forced to take HIM.!  You have to hit "something"!  That is zone blocking 101!

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Anybody that assigns an uncovered O-Lineman to block a LBer (stacked OR unstacked) will have to zone to GET to that LBer SOONER OR LATER (unless their selected opponent is a recessed "kinder-care" group).

PS:  MOST people that say they DON'T "zone" block, actually DO use some form of "zone" blocking, & DON'T EVEN KNOW they are doing it!  If anyone wants an EXPLANATION of this = PHONE me at:  804-716-7038!

After a few conversations with coaches who run zone it occurred to me that what we are doing is pretty close to zone. I agree that many teams are running something similar as many of us double and then have one man come off to a backer.

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum

After a few conversations with coaches who run zone it occurred to me that what we are doing is pretty close to zone. I agree that many teams are running something similar as many of us double and then have one man come off to a backer.

You are absolutley correct.  Even the "old-time" Single Wing off-tackle play ends up in a FORM of zone when the man who is being double-teamed on the play goes INSIDE the "post" blocker on the double team, forcing the "lead" blocker to "seek someone else" (or else a blocker is WASTED).  That is "zoning from outside-in".

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

IMHO, the difference between Zone blocking, & other schemes is that players are working to the playside vs the awayside. The concepts & techniques really don't change just the angle of attack. I think everyone over complicates the concept making it more difficult then it actually is. I know when I first started using Zone I did the same. Over time, & working on grass my approach gets simpler & simpler.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: